The NHL has a PR problem....

mundyc3

May 17, 2017
Las Vegas, NV
ESPN could very well try to pick up a portion of coverage after the 20-21 season when the current TV deal is done with NBC. The one they extended in 2011 for 10 years after the initial agreement leaving ESPN after 2004. ESPN can't pick up what they can't legally pick up.

The NHL actually has some leverage in these next negotiations.
I feel the player will be Fox with FS1 & FS2. They really need something in the winter months because college basketball can't hold it all. Also CBS would be intriguing. Turner isn't likely but their coverage of sports gets people watching.

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
Everyone knows the NHL has awful PR, and marketing. Anyone that considers themselves a 'die hard' hockey fan knows that already.

This topic always spirals into the "so what? ESPN sucks anyways"...... Which isn't the point in the least. You don't like ESPN because ESPN doesn't cover hockey at all (or well), but if the league was a healthy viable league, ESPN would be dying to pick up coverage of it.

The NHL is a niche, old white man, sport. It's expensive and elitist. That's how it looks from the outside looking in.

The NHL has the job to change that if they want to. They appear to not want to.
I mostly agree but my only point of contention is that the NHL isn't actually an old white man sport and it's not elitist from a fan perspective (though it is expensive to play). Having gone to Kings games you can see it's such a diverse crowd.

I do agree though that the NHL continues to market it that way though.

JerseyMike34

Dec 29, 2017
I mostly agree but my only point of contention is that the NHL isn't actually an old white man sport and it's not elitist from a fan perspective (though it is expensive to play). Having gone to Kings games you can see it's such a diverse crowd.

I do agree though that the NHL continues to market it that way though.

It is for sure an old white man sport. Off the top of my head, I can't name you a non-white general manager/coach.

Take a look at the NHL Draft when that happens, look around the at the faces that are sitting at the tables, minus a guy holding a microphone for whatever network is covering the event, you're not seeing many (any?) people of different races.

And yes, I'm sure there are tons of people from all walks of life that can easily get out and enjoy a hockey game, but when that kid turns around and wants to play hockey with his friends, a lot can't. I'm not just talking about on ice, I'm talking about on the road, in a parking lot, wherever. You'll need a stick, a net or 2, a ball, maybe some protection, don't even try to be a goalie. Sure, some kids will use an old broken stick, or strap cardboard boxes to their legs, but that's just not a whole lot.

Add to it, that regardless what you think of the sport, it has more blood shed in it then the other 3 major sports too. Forget the fighting aspect, there are sticks to dodge, and skates, and a rubber puck. The game itself appears far more dangerous then the other 3.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
I want the NHL to be successful, but honestly it is successful. It doesn't have to be as popular as basketball or football. There's no meta competition between the major sports leagues. The NHL is a healthy league.

Reactions: McRpro

983 others

Aug 26, 2009
Yeah...being “underground” and “indie” and “not mainstream” really isn’t that cool. Having more people appreciate how amazing NHL hockey is...way cooler. Too bad the NHL has the worst marketing on the planet, whose sole idea is pushing Original 6 drivel. Most hockey fans don’t care and/or are sick of hearing about the Original 6, let alone potential new fans.

There’s a good reason why no other, vastly more successful league base the entirety of their marketing on who is the oldest while completely ignoring everyone else.

Reactions: cgf and E82

Number8

Oct 31, 2007
Not necessarily relevant to the position presented by the OP, but I’d not be overly concerned if my cable company dropped ESPN.

I’m into more than just hockey as well. I used to watch it religiously each morning before work. Got old, and as one poster said these days most of the time it’s just clips of slam dunks and the talking heads screaming “ohhhhhhh!!!”.

Ukapitalo

Jul 5, 2009
Santa Cruz, CA
My local sports radio station (KNBR 680), probably has less than 45 minutes of discussion about the Sharks per year. And that's only if they make the playoffs. By comparison - I hear more news about the Sharks on the generic news radio station than the sports one.

crowi

Registered Loser
May 11, 2012
Helsinki
NHL just doesn't have as many viewers as you might hope they did. PR has done well to make every European etc to dislike them after not agreeing to send players to Olympics though. It's going to be a long road to recover that base if they are even interested, which I'm guessing not.

Personally I wouldn't pay a single cent to watch games as European right now.

Soliloquy of a Dogge

I love you, Boots
Aug 8, 2012
San Diego, CA
Two game 7's.....one epic, one involving a Original Six franchise that has not won a playoff series in 15+ years, and almost no media coverage.

Nothing on ESPN's front page.
Nothing on SI's front page.
Nothing on the Ringer.

Instead, everyone is writing about the NBA, specifically Damian Lilliard's shot to win a Game 5 of a lopsided playoff series between two small market teams.
The NHL doesn't appeal to a wide demographic so this is to be expected.

Market the game to other people and grow their interest through initiatives. This is on the NHL and their inability to do that.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
How much do I watch ESPN.....

I have watched a few college b-ball games
I have watched MNF
I have watched a few college football games
I don’t watch sportscenter anymore nor nfl preview on Sunday am.
I have watched some of CWS
I’ll watch the occasional baseball game

Soliloquy of a Dogge

I love you, Boots
Aug 8, 2012
San Diego, CA
and black people/asians dont like it as much as ball. how does the NHL tackle this

Maybe not being racially terrorized when trying to get into the game at the grassroots level would increase population amongst African Americans, Hispanics, Asians etc.

Fact is the game is not welcoming to non-traditional demographics. And it makes a lot of us feel ostracized and unable to become fans of the sport.

I've posted my personal anecdotes numerous times on these boards about just how vile and deplorable it is for minorities to play the game. It's why I never played and so many people I know who weren't white got away from the sport as fast as possible because of the abuse they suffered.

The league has done absolutely nothing or very little in growing grassroot initiative programs to make the game more accessible to non traditional demographics and encouraging growth amongst subsets of the population would probably become interested in the sport if there were opportunities to participate. The mentality of the old guard and insistence on having its athletes put up faux personas devoid of personality or enthusiasm (swift condemnation in the case of anyone breaking the mold) is also off putting to many.

Reactions: Brodie, cgf and E82

Kevin27NYI

Aug 5, 2009
Yep. Less mainstream coverage is less expensive and just as exciting Hockey for me. That’s how it was in the Eighties.
I feel like hockey is really inclusive, I always see hockey fans trying to make new fans and I always liked that amongst the hockey community.

At least around me I should say.

But ESPN does nothing for me, I don't watch. Don't need. Actually UFC is in there now so I'm in but just for that which I'm fine with.

NHL Network is excellent for me, it's all hockey all the time. Why use ESPN when I have that?

Cashville

RIP Lindback
Apr 12, 2011
Denver
It’s not just the ESPN/broadcast rights dynamic if we’re being honest. I moved to the Bay Area two years ago and the Sharks coverage by the local news is just terrible, worse than Nashville. Golden State’s success only compounds the issue here, but it’s true for a lot of American cities.

NHL is just not as popular as NBA/MLB/NFL here. That’s ok; league is still doing very well financially.

GreatSaveEssensa

The Dark Side Of The Goon
Feb 16, 2016
Manitoba
Meh, I never watch espn, I don't go to si for sports news and I've never heard of the ringer. Not a big loss, but yes Bettman is doing a crap job and can't wait till he's retired.
The NHL team owners would disagree with you in a big way in regards to Bettman. And honeslty, thats all that really matters as far as that issue is concerned

Dynamite Time

Where Is My Mind?
Jan 23, 2018
Austin, TX
In the past couple of weeks alone Stugotz/Lebatard podcasts have talked more NHL than Sportscenter/rest of ESPN has all year.

Screw ‘em though (ESPN), best kept secret in sports and probably better for us hardcore fans of the sport anyways.

What the hell is the Ringer?

flamesforcup

Sep 5, 2017
Nba is more popular because it is not only limited to the upper-class like the Nhl is. Nhl will never be as popular as the Nba until hockey becomes cheap to participate in.

Diamonddog01

Diamond in the rough
Jul 18, 2007
Vancouver
the nhl is a farce....so yes.

This is part of it. When you see incidents like the SJ / LV penalty, and then the media toadies and schills going out of their way to defend the officiating and fend off any controversy in order to manipulate the casual fan...well it's no wonder it's in the position it's in.

Reality Check

May 28, 2008
Two game 7's.....one epic, one involving a Original Six franchise that has not won a playoff series in 15+ years, and almost no media coverage.

Nothing on ESPN's front page.
Nothing on SI's front page.
Nothing on the Ringer.

Instead, everyone is writing about the NBA, specifically Damian Lilliard's shot to win a Game 5 of a lopsided playoff series between two small market teams.

You'll notice immediately after this post everyone attacks ESPN while ignoring the rest and point entirely. BTW You can add FS1, CBS Sports Network and others.

But MUH ESPN!

SupremeNachos

Dec 6, 2011
Minnesota
Unfortunately in the states it’s just like that. Sucks for us hockey lovers but the game is fine and doing well.
Depends what state you live in. NBA, MLB (this time of year), NFL will always be the first talked about sports 99% of the time. But I would think in other hockey hotbeds they would at least mention the NHL playoffs/cup.

ziggyjoe212

Oct 2, 2017
Well, more people tune in to watch Monday Night RAW and Smackdown Live (on cable) than the average playoff hockey game... so...

Now stop being a jabroni or I'll have to call @M.C.G. 31 and @ColePens to bring out the golden shovel :laugh: :sarcasm:
Wwe may be more popular than hockey but it is closer to a Broadway musical than to a sport. In fact I can't think of a single trait that it shares with sports.

HS, college, and Olympic wrestling is a different story, of course.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad