The next ATD needs a new commish

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
I've been the unofficial commish of both the ATD and the OPPF drafts for the last what?—two years?—and I did my best despite not being a natural for administrative duties.

But I won't be able to do it alone anymore—I'm starting a business and my schedule is volatile. It might consume my entire time eventually. That said, I feel like the ATD deserves to survive, so I'm making this thread in the hope that someone will step up as commish.

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
@VanIslander you're the first man I'm thinking of. Is it time to go back to the good ol' dictatorial days when you used to run things? Can you take this in your hands? What do you think?

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
Leave the youngest one in the room in charge. A recipe for success :naughty:

The whole thing runs smoothly compared to a few years ago.

No democracy—you come in and state the deadlines and the group just gets in line. It runs better that way in a situation where people are more passively participating like in 2018 and 2019. Before democracy was needed because people were more actively involved.

If people complain about X or Y—just make the quick adjustement and call it a day. This is how I did it anyway and it ran smoothly. I don't recall having any significant problem.

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
In the earliest days, I had a two-objection rule. If two GMs objected to the plan BEFORE the draft started, it was adjusted to accommodate. If an objection came after the draft started, it was ignored (get the * out of town! unstated attitude).

EVERY GM should have a voice in the process, but if no one backs his idea, should it be taken seriously?

RB will be a good administrator. The point is to keep the ship on course. The future looks good.

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
Series are tumbleweeding hard since 2018—I propose a radically new concept: 3-way series, Royal Rumble style ! Every series has 3 teams fighting to the death. Why? One more participant increases the probability that a debate is going on. Also might trigger some adversarial instinct if two GMs mistreat the remaining team and from this might emerge more ferocity in the debates.

VanIslander

Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
Just give the #1 seed the cup and have early hockey history challenge series:

GMs would have to apply, so less active GMs need not apply.

The trustee of the cup (someone not in the draft) can review applicants and deem which team can challenge directly (2nd or 3rd seeds perhaps) and which will need to qualify by a league playoff (with lower seeds, multiple eager GMs).

That would be historically accurate and dynamic, and could end up with multiple winners of the cup in a given "season"(draft).

Reactions: ResilientBeast

VanIslander

Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
And remember: the playoffs are the icing, not the cake.

The draft went well. One (1) GM quit during the draft, which is one more than usual. And the picks were of quality. It was worth doing.

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
Just give the #1 seed the cup and have early hockey history challenge series:

GMs would have to apply, so less active GMs need not apply.

The trustee of the cup (someone not in the draft) can review applicants and deem which team can challenge directly (2nd or 3rd seeds perhaps) and which will need to qualify by a league playoff (with lower seeds, multiple eager GMs).

That would be historically accurate and dynamic, and could end up with multiple winners of the cup in a given "season"(draft).

Not a bad idea at all.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3