Rumor: The new Rumour and Proposal thread: Ranking of the Oilers D is in another thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Didn't Chia say that Larsson is a #1 for Oilers right now but eventually be a #2.. Is he expecting Nurse to be the eventual #1 or is he adding a #1 shortly?

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
I'd be a tad bit disappointed if we don't at least bring Gryba back. Unless his demands are too high, sign him to a 1 year deal at $800-$925K.

Paralyzer

Hyman >>> Matthews
Sep 29, 2006
Somewhere Up North
Didn't Chia say that Larsson is a #1 for Oilers right now but eventually be a #2.. Is he expecting Nurse to be the eventual #1 or is he adding a #1 shortly?

382.gif

:scared: :scared: :scared:

McWeber

Mouthbreather
Jul 14, 2015
Lethbridge

There is also that Klefbom guy that he said will be a top pairing D for years to come when he signed him to that contract. If Larsson is on the top pairing and number 2...

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016

I think he meant it the other way around. I don't recall him ever saying is a #1, and referred to him as a #2 only to not oversell and make promises. In the end, I'm sure they hope he becomes the #1.

Chia is awesome that way. When we got Sekera he flat out said what he was to a tee. Same with Reinhart. He always called him a bottom pair who he hoped would work into a top 4

It's refreshing not having to hear these guys are Norris winners lol

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
"We’ve improved our team significantly,†said Chiarelli. “We’ve added what I assess as a top defenceman. He’s going to be a two at some point, Larsson. "

http://oilers.nhl.com/club/blogpost.htm?id=47081

IMO, the only other way to interpret this LTIR is if he meant Klefbom would be our #1. That super long contract should be a big indicator as to their judgement of him.

48g90a138pts

Jun 30, 2016
I'd be a tad bit disappointed if we don't at least bring Gryba back. Unless his demands are too high, sign him to a 1 year deal at $800-$925K.

I agree with you 100%. I can't see Eric asking to break the bank or anything. Oilers have tons of cap space, it's got to be Chiarelli is still working on something for another RHD.

Even if he his negotiating another trade still makes sense to bring him back even for depth. It's a no brainer, there will be injuries, and the Oilers RHD depth is sparse.
With Nurse and Oesterle being waiver exempt, no harm in them starting in the AHL. Bring up one of them if multiple injuries happen to the left d side. I'd also like to see what David Musil has built over the past year. We didn't get to see him at all in a Oilers uniform last season.

Gryba plays a tough style and makes me wonder why Chiarelli still hasn't signed him. If he has some PTO's to ponder won't take long for him to accept one and then we'll be looking for another RHD for depth.

booyakasha

Oct 11, 2007
Edmonton, AB
So he traded a top 3 LW and one of the best 5v5 players in the league for a guy he thinks is a top pair Dman...and says he'll get there at some point?

How is that improving your team significantly?....if Larsson was already an established top 2 dman in his mind, than yes, I would buy into his assessment, but, he's even implying that the kid isn't there yet and hopes he gets there one day. odd statement actually.

48g90a138pts

Jun 30, 2016
So he traded a top 3 LW and one of the best 5v5 players in the league for a guy he thinks is a top pair Dman...and says he'll get there at some point?

How is that improving your team significantly?....if Larsson was already an established top 2 dman in his mind, than yes, I would buy into his assessment, but, he's even implying that the kid isn't there yet and hopes he gets there one day. odd statement actually.

It's a improvement because of the lack of RHD the Oilers have. This should have been addressed many years ago from management but wasn't. The team paid dearly for it too.

:pullhair:

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016

He called him a top dman in his mind. So that means a #2 minimum. His assesment means alot, seeing as he built a world class dcore once already

He also went on to say in those interviews the importance of lefty/righties. Something that is now becoming more evident with the rise of analytics

booyakasha

Oct 11, 2007
Edmonton, AB
It's a improvement because of the lack of RHD the Oilers have. This should have been addressed many years ago from management but wasn't. The team paid dearly for it too.

:pullhair:

relax, ...I question his statement.
at first he says Larsson's a top pair D, then goes on to say he "is going to be a 2 at some point"
thats a contradiction isn't it?

booyakasha

Oct 11, 2007
Edmonton, AB
He called him a top dman in his mind. So that means a #2 minimum. His assesment means alot, seeing as he built a world class dcore once already

He also went on to say in those interviews the importance of lefty/righties. Something that is now becoming more evident with the rise of analytics

the importance of righties/leftiess is about position, not analytics.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
at first he says Larsson's a top pair D, then goes on to say he "is going to be a 2 at some point"

#2 is still top pairing.

But anyway, I highly doubt Chia is bringing in another top pairing D any time soon. The biggest possible move would be to add a 2nd pairing PP guy

Soli

Supervision Required
Sep 8, 2005
"We’ve improved our team significantly,” said Chiarelli. “We’ve added what I assess as a top defenceman. He’s going to be a two at some point, Larsson. "

http://oilers.nhl.com/club/blogpost.htm?id=47081

IMO, what Chia is saying is that Larsson is going to be a #2 defenseman, thus he's added what he assess as a top (pairing) defenseman. I don't think this comment is indicative of Chia's optimism in a particular blue liner becoming a #1.

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
the importance of righties/leftiess is about position, not analytics.

It's about analytics also. There is a stat/study that has shown it increases productivity by ?? % I can't remember the # but it does. Chia also made his comment based on this study I'm sure the way he phrased it. "What we know..." is what I think he said in 1 interview

48g90a138pts

Jun 30, 2016

My over exuberance is purely directed at management for having a LHD depth of 12 players and a RHD depth of only 3. I don't count Andrew Ference because he's not playing anymore as far as we all know. 12 lefts 3 rights how did this get so far out of balance idk. Even a small trade swapping prospects would be a prudent thing...maybe.

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
My over exuberance is purely directed at management for having a LHD depth of 12 players and a RHD depth of only 3. I don't count Andrew Ference because he's not playing anymore as far as we all know. 12 lefts 3 rights how did this get so far out of balance idk. Even a small trade swapping prospects would be a prudent thing...maybe.

Please tell me you wanted to draft Ristolaienen also!

booyakasha

Oct 11, 2007
Edmonton, AB
It's about analytics also. There is a stat/study that has shown it increases productivity by ?? % I can't remember the # but it does. Chia also made his csports omment based on this study I'm sure the way he phrased it. "What we know..." is what I think he said in 1 interview

you lost me, and I don't care.....
a few years ago Tyler Dellow proved analytically that the Oilers were a top team in the NHL...the %, and #'s he showed, helped his arguement...too bad real life disagreed with him.

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
a few years ago Tyler Dellow proved analytically that the Oilers were a top team in the NHL...the %, and #'s he showed, helped his arguement...too bad real life disagreed with him.

We're not talking individual stats here. We are talking about an extensive study that shows how the puck moves productively with this combo.

Terrible argument. You may not care, but the hockey world does

Blitzago*

Dec 11, 2015

On average a D pairing of a L/R instead of a L/L or R/R have a 6% higher corsi I think was the stat.

Arpeggio

Jul 20, 2006
Edmonton

Don't recall this ever happening.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad