The New Jersey Devils Defense

• Thread starter DEVILS ALL THE WAY*
  • Start date

Saugus

Ecrasez l'infame!
Jun 17, 2009
Connecticut
Larsson - Volchenkov will be a great pairing. I hope Pete keeps them together. They might get caught flat-footed here and there but I think they compliment each other well.

I disagree. Volchenkov goes roaming a lot, and Larsson can get caught out of position often too. I'd rather put him with Tallinder.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
No Fayne, and Tallinder ever please. That's all I ask. Fayne, and Greene should be left together as much as the 4th line should be left together. Not saying they're not good without each other. They're just incredible with each other, and it keeps Fayne, and Tallinder far away.

apice3*

Larsson and Volchenkov together is just begging for breakaways.

Both players roam a lot. Not necessarily a bad thing, but they can't play together.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Just no Fayne, and Tallinder is all I ask! I'm still having nightmares about how they looked last year, and the thought of them playing together again.

They're worse than the dream I had last week about the lockout ending, and Scott Parse getting a spot on the NHL team, and Butler staying in Albany.:help: Okay maybe not that bad.

apice3*

I'd have no problem with Fayne-Greene, Volch-Zid, Larsson-Sal.

Fayne-Greene is our all situations pairing.
Zidlicky's offense makes up for Volchenkov's lack.
Salvador gets to babysit as Larsson continues to improve.

Tallinder can eat pizza from the team suite if he wants.

Tedenboozled

Mar 4, 2011
I'd have no problem with Fayne-Greene, Volch-Zid, Larsson-Sal.

Fayne-Greene is our all situations pairing.
Zidlicky's offense makes up for Volchenkov's lack.
Salvador gets to babysit as Larsson continues to improve.

Tallinder can eat pizza from the team suite if he wants.

At 3.3 million a year, he better be funding it himself.

One of the D-men will go away, we just have to wait for an actual season to find out who it is.

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
In before you're shot down with CORSI stats!:sarcasm:

Seriously though maybe I don't understand it, but wasn't it 10/11 when he had the amazing CORSI stats? And not 11/12?

Remember when Tallinder was used on the PP early in the year?:help: He was responsible for a couple of those shorthanded goals too.

People complained about Tallinder all first half of last season before he was injured. I guarantee if this season starts people will be doing it again, and we'll see plenty of ''Why wasn't Tallinder traded? What's he still doing here?!'' posts.

Hank is very good at transitional play but he's not good in his own zone. Blown coverage, missed assignments, constant chasing, abandoning the front of the net to chase down low, double teaming whoever his partner is covering, getting bullied by big forwards down low....

He's clearly skilled but he's a total meathead and has atrocious decision making skills. He's mobile and a very good skater with some nice instincts and decent gap control, but the second there's sustained pressure he folds like a cheap suit.

With a strong partner he can be a very effective player but when he has too much responsibility he quickly gets exposed. He kinda reminds me of Johnny Oduya in that regard.

Oroku Saki*

I can see Detroit taking a look at Tallinder. A 2nd is fine with me.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
Matt D'agositini for Henrik Tallinder

Blues fans said they'd do it

I really liked that one. D'Agostini is a bit of a reclamation project, but he's still a solid third liner if all else. A lot better option and more reliable option than Butler.....

With Henrique:

Kovalchuk-Zajac-Zubrus
Elias-Henrique-D'Agostini
Butler-Josefson-Clarkson
Fourth line

Without Henrique:

Kovalchuk-Zajac-Zubrus
Butler-Elias-D'Agostini
Tedenby-Josefson-Clarkson

Oroku Saki*

I wouldnt want to give up Volch for a 3rd. No way.

Even if thats his value, Id rather keep him.

Tally is the more redundant defenseman anyway. I just don't see Lou trading Volchenkov. His decline is way overblown.

Classic Devil

Spirit of 1988
Dec 23, 2003
Columbus, Ohio
We'd be very lucky if half of them pan out.
Even if half of them pan out we're in terrific shape.

Larson
Merrill
Urbom
Severson
Burlon
Scarlett
Gelinas
Helgeson
Faust

Half of those guys pan out and you've got 2/3rds of a defense.

Even if just Larsson, Merrill, and Severson pan out, you've still very likely got a terrific defense. You'll never see, probably, more than three or four of them on the team at the same time, though, their ages are just too close together.

kiwidevil

As you say I just hope the high end guys pan out. Merrill - Larsson, then hopefully Gelinas offense translates to the NHL. Then you can almost pencil in Urbom or Severson. Added to Fayne and you've got a pretty solid home grown core.

Wingman77

Mar 16, 2010
As you say I just hope the high end guys pan out. Merrill - Larsson, then hopefully Gelinas offense translates to the NHL. Then you can almost pencil in Urbom or Severson. Added to Fayne and you've got a pretty solid home grown core.

I'd like to think Larsson, Greene, and Fayne will be around for a while

Add another defensemen or two from the outside and hopefully at least 2-3 guys of our D prospects pan out

As CD said, if all goes well and half of them pan out, we'd still have somewhat of an overstock on D prospects which doesn't hurt for depth and trade purposes

kiwidevil

Our D is pretty set at the moment. If Gelinas or Merrill aren't ready to step in next year I hope Zids is signed for another year as we need an offense guy. So buy the time Salvador, Tallinder, Volchenkov are stepping out, guys like Merrill, Gelinas, Severson, Urbom and maybe a few surprises will already be knocking on the door. So we may not have have to bring guys in from the outside.

It's not as if half our D is UFA next year.

I don't get why everyone is so keen to have Zids leave if he keeps up his play from last year. People say it's to give our young guys a chance, the only guy we have close to Zids mould is Gelinas. We really need a offense guy. Larsson isn't going to give you that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad