Online Series: The NETFLIX Thread (Part 2)

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
They’re in an interesting spot. I think cracking down on password sharing would reduce their subscriber numbers unless they cut the price. I live in a house of two and there’s zero chance we’d pay $20/month on our own to be able to watch Netflix in 4K. There are way too many other streaming options in the $5-10 range.
Ya but are those other streaming services in 4K? Do they have as much content? etc. It will be interesting to see how things go in the next year or two. I have netflix, D+ and Prime TV but that's it. Won't pay for more and many of the others like say Apple+ is $6 think but not a whole lot of content. Hulu I don't need being in Canada I get it as "Starz" with D+. Paramount+ also does not have enough original content of interest to me and a lot of the other shows that I might be interested I can watch for free on CTV.ca for example.

discostu

Nov 12, 2002
Nomadville
Visit site
I don’t think either Paramount or Sony can afford to buy Netflix. It’s the other way around: Netflix buys studios. There are probably less than five companies with stakes in entertainment that are bigger than Netflix, and that doesn’t necessarily mean that any of them can afford to acquire Netflix.

A studio won't buy Netflix (not even Disney). I was thinking more Amazon or Apple.

Burner Account

Feb 14, 2008
Ya but are those other streaming services in 4K? Do they have as much content? etc. It will be interesting to see how things go in the next year or two. I have netflix, D+ and Prime TV but that's it. Won't pay for more and many of the others like say Apple+ is $6 think but not a whole lot of content. Hulu I don't need being in Canada I get it as "Starz" with D+. Paramount+ also does not have enough original content of interest to me and a lot of the other shows that I might be interested I can watch for free on CTV.ca for example.
Some are in 4K I believe (Apple is) and they don't have as much content but I'm reading a lot (thought I saw a comment in this thread) suggesting that people are fatigued by the amount of content that Netflix does have.

Besides being less expensive, almost all of the other streaming services you mentioned have one thing Netflix does not: live sports, or any type of live content for that matter.

I think Netflix is too big to fail but I wouldn't be surprised if this crash brings on a major change in direction. Wonder if they would ever bid for sports rights. At least for me, that is the surest way to get my money - there's no other way I would pay for Paramount Plus, for example. One way or another, I think they'll have to grow from an on-demand streaming company to an actual full-service entertainment company.

A studio won't buy Netflix (not even Disney). I was thinking more Amazon or Apple.
Agreed. Essentially the only two compatible buyers on earth.

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas

HBO Max is available in 4K UHD

Honestly, thats the best streaming service IMO. Best library in both quality and variety and value at only $15 a month

Reactions: x Tame Impala

discostu

Nov 12, 2002
Nomadville
Visit site
Agreed. Essentially the only two compatible buyers on earth.

The only other one that I could potentially see is if Alphabet (Google) wanted to dive into the deep end of the pool. They've shown no interest to date, but, has the market value to do so, and if Netflix is going to go down the pathway of ad supported price plans, no company on earth has a system to maximize that like they do.

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
HBO Max is available in 4K UHD

Honestly, thats the best streaming service IMO. Best library in both quality and variety and value at only $15 a month
Does not exist in Canada.

I can’t believe people still pay for Netflix. All you need is a real debrid account ($6 a month) and Kodi or some other android app.
And that's stealing no matter how you look at it.

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
Well this is kind of cool Christina Ricci who played Wednesday Addams as a kid is now playing in the Addams family Netflix/Tim Burton project called Wednesday in role that they haven't released the details yet. At first from the picture I thought it might be Morticia Addams but Catherine Zeta-Jones is playing that role.

1650727709111.png

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
I haven't followed closely their fall in the last week but if they actually shut down account sharing in the way it sounds like they want to do it I will be cancelling my Netflix account that day. Will be no good to me anymore. Will be back to the pirate ship for me.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I haven't followed closely their fall in the last week but if they actually shut down account sharing in the way it sounds like they want to do it I will be cancelling my Netflix account that day. Will be no good to me anymore. Will be back to the pirate ship for me.
Either it’s no sharing with a price decrease. Or the limit the sharing to like 2 IP addresses or something.
They’d lose too many subscribers if they just kept the price and eliminated sharing.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
I don’t think either Paramount or Sony can afford to buy Netflix. It’s the other way around: Netflix buys studios. There are probably less than five companies with stakes in entertainment that are bigger than Netflix, and that doesn’t necessarily mean that any of them can afford to acquire Netflix.
Netflix has over 18 billion in debt. They're not in a financial position to buy studios.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
They plan to introduce account sharing fees.

What is Netflix doing about password sharing?​

It does appear that a crackdown is coming. Netflix has already tested ways to curb password sharing in some Latin American markets, such as testing surcharges for accounts used at addresses not associated with the main account holder. These add-ons are in the $2-$3 a month range, and will be triggered when people try using the Netflix account associated with another address.

Burner Account

Feb 14, 2008
Netflix has over 18 billion in debt. They're not in a financial position to buy studios.
That number doesn’t mean anything on its own. They also have $6 billion in cash and short-term investments and can borrow more money if they choose.

Reactions: beowulf

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
$16B USD and it was planned as part of their growth and historic low interest rates on that debt. They supposedly no longer need to borrow to fund their day to day operations and the current plan has them dropping the debt to $10B to $15B fairly soon thanks to reaching positive cash flow in 2020 which was much sooner than expected. Debt is a fairly normal part of large tech companies like this.

Tesla, T-Mobile, etc. carry a certain amount of debt. Heck on a few occasions Tesla has flirted with debt disaster but it has worked out for them.

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
That number doesn’t mean anything on its own. They also have $6 billion in cash and short-term investments and can borrow more money if they choose.
Exactly they got blue-chip status and their bonds are are at investment grade status last year also, so burrowing is fairly easy for them though they do not plan on in until at least 2024 looks like.

Reactions: Burner Account

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
$16B USD and it was planned as part of their growth and historic low interest rates on that debt. They supposedly no longer need to borrow to fund their day to day operations and the current plan has them dropping the debt to $10B to $15B fairly soon thanks to reaching positive cash flow in 2020 which was much sooner than expected. Debt is a fairly normal part of large tech companies like this.

Tesla, T-Mobile, etc. carry a certain amount of debt. Heck on a few occasions Tesla has flirted with debt disaster but it has worked out for them.

17.30 billion in March 2022. But yes, it does not mean they are in financial trouble of any kind but there is a good chance their stock drops even more "soon". They are not in a sound financial position to buy a major movie studio.

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa

17.30 billion in March 2022. But yes, it does not mean they are in financial trouble of any kind but there is a good chance their stock drops even more "soon". They are not in a sound financial position to buy a major movie studio.
I don't think it was ever part of their plan. They have bought content rights etc. I guess we shall see what happens in the coming months.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
I don't think it was ever part of their plan. They have bought content rights etc. I guess we shall see what happens in the coming months.
That is indeed what they're plan has been for ages. But Disney+ and HBO Max have thrown a wrench into their "plans of world dominance". Disney's acquisition of Fox properties increased the content level on Disney + March of last year already and for example in Finland our Disney+ has lots more content than out Netflix.

MVP of West Hollywd

Oct 28, 2008
I'd say one of the biggest concerns for Netflix is that people may see the flaws in their shows writing and directing that were already there with clear eyes the more cool it is to cheer on their downfall.

Reactions: zombie kopitar

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad