The National Hockey League just put a copyright claim on my cat

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
I can understand why they would claim copyrights on this one. They don't want proof that the Bruins are penalized more than their opposition.

:biglaugh:

The cat forechecked harder than the bruins have in 2 years..

Good on ya Gato!

If I was Sweeney, I would sign that kitty to an entry level contract NOW. Love the moves it has & think it could play wing straight away.

The NHL should have something better to do than go after innocent stuff like this video. Unreal...

The cat was a big Bruins fan in 2013-14 and played in every game - the last 2 seasons he has gone to sleep when hockey is on.

Gordoff

Formerly: Strafer
Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
I can rest easier knowing that the NHL is protecting itself from short videos that make people laugh. I don't know what's more sad: that the NHL took the time to worry about this video that has nothing to do with profitting off its brand, or that the league is so insignificant that someone from the NHL actually found a freaking kitten video that has less than 400 views. If that poor cat had to watch the Bruins the past two seasons it should have a claim filed on its behalf against the NHL for indecency and inhumane treatment.

:laugh: BEST retort yet!:handclap:

Fenian24

Jun 14, 2010
The NHL treating fans like pieces of meat since 100 years, I doubt it will be the 100th year slogan but it would fit.

I have never seen a league/business treat it's fans like the NHL does, they wonder why they can't break out of their almost niche spot in North America, take a look at fan relations.

Fire Sweeney

Jun 16, 2009
Bergen
First they went for the players, now they're going for the fans

jacobsburningmoney.jpg

mikelvl

Aug 6, 2009
Newton, MA
Just be grateful that your cat isn't a football fan. The NFL would have suspended the cat for four games.....

Boston BROin

Marchand makes u mad
Feb 29, 2008
NYC
I work with Youtube/Google a lot. I also used to work for the agency that represented FX Networks and they had a huge issue with this. FX Networks wanted to grow their page and saw that a lot of content from things like American Horror Story were being uploaded by fans. Our recommendation to them was to leave them a lone as you're getting free advertising.

Anyways, I think a lot of how these things work is that there are either automated crawlers which take things down and manual take downs. Looks like you got a manual take down which is where someone from NHL or their agency typed in some keywords and got a long list of videos tagged with NHL/Bruins/Hockey etc. They saw there were ads on the video and that person flagged it. They're doing this for hundreds of videos so they're more than likely on autopilot.

You can dispute the claim with Google/Youtube and you'll win in this case. Sucks that you'd have to do it, though.

Also, good points on Dafoomie. I think, though, that Dafoomie isn't making money off of his video. Google/Youtube has the ability to tag videos uploaded by users and directly take any advertising dollars made on that video based on meta data, etc. That is the only way I can think of Dafoomie being allowed to keep his videos up. The money is going to the NHL.

Fossy21

Nobel Prize Deke
Mar 14, 2013
That is what I find ludicrous - that the NHL actually is paying someone to dig deep into You Tube archives and find every NHL hockey video out there and claiming it. I think I posted the link to that video in the GDT that night and on my FB page and them totally forgot about it.

I can see them going through every video that has the word "hockey" in it. Imagine how sad they get when a video with shaky phone camera footage that has loads of views turns out to be from a KHL game or something.

My cat prefers watching NHL 94 on SNES, it's probably the blueish hue that does it. :)

Aeroforce

Apr 28, 2012
Houston, TX
This demonstrates the NHL's tacit belief that more people watch cat videos than their product. ;)

Kidding aside, cat videos are popular, and I imagine should this video go viral, the NHL wants whatever revenue it may generate.

Technology moves much faster than the wheels of justice, so it's been a nightmare for rights holders.

David Lowery (Cracker, Camper Van Beethoven) writes a blog called the Trichordist, in which he vociferously attacks Google/YouTube for how they disrespect copyrighted material.

Irving Azoff/Don Henley have also gone on the offensive.

Henley hates the fact people can film his shows and post them without his consent. He also hates the fact he often isn't paid, or is paid a paltry sum when his copyrighted material generates clicks.

So on the one hand, it seems ridiculous that the NHL did this, but in the big picture, it makes sense.
"Any use without the NHL's written consent..."

This was posted a couple of years ago, so the numbers may be different today. This is from David Lowery's blog:
streamingpriceindexwyoutube.png

Last edited:

Fossy21

Nobel Prize Deke
Mar 14, 2013
Kidding aside, cat videos are popular, and I imagine should this video go viral, the NHL wants whatever revenue it may generate.

Sure, but there's a thing called fair use, which this surely falls under. No one is tuning in to this video (which is 90% cat, 8% Jack Edwards and 2% NHL) to watch a game. There's way too much added content for them to put in a fair claim here, in my opinion. I.e. they don't really have a claim to whatever money it might make.

They should be content with the small possibility that similar videos might bring more interest into the sport and thereby the league. It's small in this case, with other more involved videos increasing the possibility - whilst also increasing their claim to the revenue - but even in this video that possibility is bigger than if they force people not to spread the sport in new, inventive ways involving social media. Sure, highlight videos and similar stuff... put claims on those, preferably offering fair deals to the "content assemblers" or whatever you want to call it, that still encourage people to keep spreading the availability of the league whilst raking in the brunt of the revenue. In OP's case it's just ridiculous.

But like Boston BROin stated above, it's most likely just someone using a shotgun approach to putting up claims to anything containing even a minuscule amount of NHL content, just to be sure.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad