The National Hockey League just put a copyright claim on my cat

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
A few minutes ago I got an email from You Tube

date: Fri, Jul 29, 2016 at 7:19 PM
subject: [YouTube] A copyright claim was created for content in "Kitten likes hockey"

Hi Fenway94182764526,

A copyright owner using Content ID claimed some material in your video.

This is just a heads up
Don’t worry. You’re not in trouble and your account standing is not affected by this.

There are either ads running on your video, with the revenue going to the copyright owner, or the copyright owner is receiving stats about your video’s views.

Video title: Kitten likes hockey
Includes: Audiovisual content
Claimed by: National Hockey League
CLAIMANT POLICY
Audiovisual content
Manually detected
National Hockey League
Monetized by copyright owner

THIS WAS SHOT THREE YEARS AGO :rant:

This is ridiculous

Gordoff

Formerly: Strafer
Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
Doesn't have to do with showing the NHL game not actually the cat? It's funny and sickening at the same time...:shakehead

talkinaway

Mar 19, 2014
On the couch
I'm honestly torn.

On the one hand....how in holy hell is the NHL losing any money on this? "Oh, I want to watch a CBJ@BOS game from three years ago. I could pay NHL.com for Center Ice archives and get a clear feed, or I could watch a shaky video that instead focuses on a cat, and only shows ~2 minutes without any goals."

On the other hand...the net result is -1 cat video. I think the greater good might be being served :sarcasm:

In all seriousness, some companies take great pains to stake out any and all copyright infringements. It gets a bit ridiculous, but there is a slippery slope...if they let it go for a small, low-quality clip, then the next time a longer, higher quality clip comes along, there may be precedent.

But...come ON. There may be a line, and there may be grey area, but this isn't anywhere near infringement. Thank you, Mr. Bettman.

Jdavidev

Jul 5, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
This just made me miss my cat, I had to give up when I moved...

She loved watching the Bruins, chasing the puck, attacking the the other team... sigh.

Salem13

Feb 6, 2008
Salem,Mass
A few minutes ago I got an email from You Tube

THIS WAS SHOT THREE YEARS AGO :rant:

This is ridiculous

Best option ever, bring it to court where you get to present the cat as evidence of how old it is LMAO

Your honor, this is the cat you just saw! LOL

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
The real outrage is that this is a vertical video. For shame, Fenway. ;)

That was my iPhone 4 that always balked at going into landscape mode. :laugh:

This is the second phone video of mine that the NHL claimed copyright on - they claimed this as well :help:

missingchicklet

Jan 24, 2010
I can rest easier knowing that the NHL is protecting itself from short videos that make people laugh. I don't know what's more sad: that the NHL took the time to worry about this video that has nothing to do with profitting off its brand, or that the league is so insignificant that someone from the NHL actually found a freaking kitten video that has less than 400 views. If that poor cat had to watch the Bruins the past two seasons it should have a claim filed on its behalf against the NHL for indecency and inhumane treatment.

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
I can rest easier knowing that the NHL is protecting itself from short videos that make people laugh. I don't know what's more sad: that the NHL took the time to worry about this video that has nothing to do with profitting off its brand, or that the league is so insignificant that someone from the NHL actually found a freaking kitten video that has less than 400 views. If that poor cat had to watch the Bruins the past two seasons it should have a claim filed on its behalf against the NHL for indecency and inhumane treatment.

That is what I find ludicrous - that the NHL actually is paying someone to dig deep into You Tube archives and find every NHL hockey video out there and claiming it. I think I posted the link to that video in the GDT that night and on my FB page and them totally forgot about it.

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
That was my iPhone 4 that always balked at going into landscape mode. :laugh:

This is the second phone video of mine that the NHL claimed copyright on - they claimed this as well :help:

I can understand why they would claim copyrights on this one. They don't want proof that the Bruins are penalized more than their opposition.

BruinLVGA

CZ Shadow 2 Compact coming my way!
Dec 15, 2013
Switzerland
If I was Sweeney, I would sign that kitty to an entry level contract NOW. Love the moves it has & think it could play wing straight away.

The NHL should have something better to do than go after innocent stuff like this video. Unreal...

IntentionallyWide

The poster formerly known as gobruins14
Sponsor
Aug 9, 2006
If the NHL is putting copyright claims in on these videos, I wonder what that means for Dafoomie's vids. I don't know what I'd do if Dafoomie stopped posting highlight reels!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad