The most underrated defensemen in the NHL

Oak

Apr 22, 2012
MA
Devils fans are something else. Good luck with winning a cup with Luke Hughes as your number 1.
I'm not a Devils fan. Luke Hughes has not been that great and quite overrated so far. He is getting hype bc of name recognition only. I expect Nemec to become the superior defenseman, and I would be confident saying he already is.

You guys are like little children behind screens. You don't understand the game, you guys swoon over your players and the jerseys you wear. Study the game and imagine building a roster as a gm and maybe you will understand the sport better.

@Sdevils42 description of Fox was about as excellent as I've seen on this forum.

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024
I'm not a Devils fan. Luke Hughes has not been that great and quite overrated so far. He is getting hype bc of name recognition only. I expect Nemec to become the superior defenseman, and I would be confident saying he already is.

You guys are like little children behind screens. You don't understand the game, you guys swoon over your players and the jerseys you wear. Study the game and imagine building a roster as a gm and maybe you will understand the sport better.

@Sdevils42 description of Fox was about as excellent as I've seen on this forum.
Luke is both underrated and overrated. He should not have been a calder finalist, and I'd say yes, Nemec was better (although Luke was a lot better the last 10 games or so than Nemec).

However, some are claiming he was bad this year and blaming every devils failure on him (because they look at +/- only)

He had a quality season thrust into 21:30 a night as a rookie. Not elite, but was more than good, especially away from terrorist brendan smith.

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
Luke Schenn.

Yes, he was drafted 5th overall and was hyped by leaf fans, but he struggled and looked like he wouldn't be in the league much longer after his time with the flyers.

He's a solid bottom pairing dman still who gives everything to his team.

He's been able to carve out a very nice career for himself.

Reactions: SiZ

deca guard

Jun 22, 2019
www.reddit.com
It's Brent Burns! 17th all time in asssists amongst defensemen, 14th in points and 10th in goals. He's still going pretty strong and will likely climb a few spots in every cagegory before he retires and there's still some jobbers here that argue that he's not going to get into the Hall of fame... :shakehead
such a power game too , dominates space with size and athleticism like few others . hes gonna play his game and wont be knocked off it like smaller less physical but highly offensively talented dmen can be . a power dman . playing in western time zone has hurt his popularity all these years

for detroits its walman , rugged/athletic/power skater/wicked slapper

Caboose

Jan 16, 2019
Many top defenseman that aren't flashy offensively or put up PPG are underrated.

The most underrated is Ekholm, he is so good defensively, but at the same time his offensive puck movement and instincts are so under rated.

I know people think he's good so he is not traditionally under rated, but he should be a considered a top 5 dman in the NHL.

My second place choice is Fox. It's hard to believe that a guy widely considered a top 10 dman in the NHL to be underrated, but the way this guy is left out of all top DMAN conversations is crazy. He should be right there consistently in the top 3 discussion.

Reactions: Not Canada Drai

MasterofGrond

No, I'm not serious.
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2009
Rochester, NY
Luke is both underrated and overrated. He should not have been a calder finalist, and I'd say yes, Nemec was better (although Luke was a lot better the last 10 games or so than Nemec).
Nah he was definitely a deserved Calder finalist. Not deserving of a win (or being close to one, Faber was great and Bedard is, well, Bedard), but he drove offense every second he was on the ice, and was totally tolerable defensively (despite what non-watchers would have you think).

And he did it playing a full 82 game season, after two years on the college two games a week schedule. HE clearly hit a wall halfway through the season, played worse, and then pushed through it and was better than ever to close the year. It wasn't a perfect year, but for a 20 year old straight out of college, it has to be considering a rousing success.

And, I would happily try to win a cup with a prime Luke Hughes as my 1D. Funny thing is, the Devils won't even need to, lmao.

Sdevils42

Nov 30, 2016
This is a really good description of Fox imo.

Fox being top 5 in the league is highly subjective. He is definitely not top 2.

I thought it was a pretty fair assessment if you're being objective. He succeeds despite his physical limitations because he's such a smart savvy player.

Reactions: Oak

TheDawnOfANewTage

Dahlin, it’ll all be fine
Dec 17, 2018
I think he very well might be the most underrated player in the NHL over the last three seasons
Gets no chatter outside the Panthers thread.
14th in even strength points per 60
signed through 2032 at 5.75 million a year. What a catch in the 5th round.
GUSTAV FORSLING

Weird poem, but aight.

Also, you’re right, he’s very underrated and good.

• Haha
Reactions: alasania94

Dead Coyote

Oct 10, 2017
I'm sorry, but your point makes no sense. I've tried re-reading it a few times and its unintelligible.

McDavid doesn't finish 1st in the Hart every year. Neither does Makar in the Norris. Bergeron in the Selke (when he played). The best or second best at a given time doesn't need to be who literally finished in what spot in the voting. If you look at average finishes in something like the Norris the last 3-4 years, Fox will probably be top 2 with Makar with a gap to whoever is third.
Rookie: Not voted
1st: Norris
2nd: 5th
3rd: 2nd

The last 3-4 years is his whole career...also Hedman has the same number of top 5 finishes since Fox started playing as Fox does, 3. Josi and McAvoy both have 2.

The average placement over that time is 3 for Hedman, 2.6 for Fox, and 2 for Makar if we don't include years they weren't top 5.

If you do include those years, than it becomes Makar at 3.75, Hedman at 6, Fox at 8.25 and the other 2 at 9.25.

So the "gap" between those players is .4. Or at worst 2.25 and 1.

I can see why people think players with more of a history and more team success could prefer them. I mean, Hedman has literally won two cups in this time period, and a Conn Smythe, along with making it to the finals a 3rd time. Only Makar really comes close to that kind of resume since he also won a Smythe and a cup.

Fun fact! Bobby Orr is the only defenseman to win the Smythe twice, and one of only 6 players total to win it more than once, with Patrick Roy having 3 wins, the most, and Gretzky, Parent, Crosby, and Lemieux being the others with 2.

Also, EK received 123 votes for 1st the year he won, so I'm not sure how you can say people didn't think he was the best defenseman that year. If a Norris placement, your main argument, is such a good indicator of who the top d-men in the league are, than shouldn't you also be putting such weight into those same people saying EK was by far the best d-man that year?

I don't really have a bone in this fight, but I think it's hard to argue that Fox isn't universally acknowledged as a very good player, top 5 D-man currently, and potentially a top 2 or top 3 d-man as well, but that he's underrated. I think it's also pretty hard to argue that he's been a *far* better d-man than Hedman

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Rookie: Not voted
1st: Norris
2nd: 5th
3rd: 2nd

The last 3-4 years is his whole career...also Hedman has the same number of top 5 finishes since Fox started playing as Fox does, 3. Josi and McAvoy both have 2.

The average placement over that time is 3 for Hedman, 2.6 for Fox, and 2 for Makar if we don't include years they weren't top 5.

If you do include those years, than it becomes Makar at 3.75, Hedman at 6, Fox at 8.25 and the other 2 at 9.25.

So the "gap" between those players is .4. Or at worst 2.25 and 1.

I can see why people think players with more of a history and more team success could prefer them. I mean, Hedman has literally won two cups in this time period, and a Conn Smythe, along with making it to the finals a 3rd time. Only Makar really comes close to that kind of resume since he also won a Smythe and a cup.

Fun fact! Bobby Orr is the only defenseman to win the Smythe twice, and one of only 6 players total to win it more than once, with Patrick Roy having 3 wins, the most, and Gretzky, Parent, Crosby, and Lemieux being the others with 2.

Also, EK received 123 votes for 1st the year he won, so I'm not sure how you can say people didn't think he was the best defenseman that year. If a Norris placement, your main argument, is such a good indicator of who the top d-men in the league are, than shouldn't you also be putting such weight into those same people saying EK was by far the best d-man that year?

I don't really have a bone in this fight, but I think it's hard to argue that Fox isn't universally acknowledged as a very good player, top 5 D-man currently, and potentially a top 2 or top 3 d-man as well, but that he's underrated. I think it's also pretty hard to argue that he's been a *far* better d-man than Hedman
Hedman over the last 10 years has had a great run, but he's also undoubtedly slowing down. Last year he was 15th in Norris voting. He's 33 years old. I think he's only going in the wrong direction at this point. Not to say he hasn't had a great career, but all players hit that point of decline at some point.

And you kind of proved my point. Fox does have the highest average Norris finish in that span other than Makar and the gap isn't miniscule. Not saying it's ginormous, but it's big enough that he should be acknowledged as the second best defenseman.

HabsAddict

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Kaiden Guhle.

Some of the "smart ones" think that we don't know his value and are suggesting idiocy like trading him for Kakko or late 1st.

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Adam Larsson has been rock solid for the Kraken for three years. He certainly deserves a mention.

Brookbank

Nov 15, 2022
Filip Hronek. Especially now that the Canuck mob has turned on him and is constantly trashing him.

ESH

Jun 19, 2011

However, some are claiming he was bad this year and blaming every devils failure on him (because they look at +/- only)

He had a quality season thrust into 21:30 a night as a rookie. Not elite, but was more than good, especially away from terrorist brendan smith.
Who would you have put ahead of Hughes in Calder voting? He was tied for 2nd in scoring for all rookies

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
The guys who were overrated for the longest time like Forsling, Toews, etc are finally getting their flowers.

My picks for the next batch of perpetually underrated guys:

Rasmus Andersson (underrated mostly because nobody pays attention to Calgary, for good reason)

Brady Skjei (underrated cause of who he plays with, on most teams he'd probably be their best or 2nd best D)

Marcus Pettersson (underrated because his coach seems not to like him very much for awhile)

• Love
Reactions: super6646

AvroArrow

Mitch "The God" Marner
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
Why do people keep saying this like it's true?
Because Erik Karlsson who was arguably one of the worst players at actually defending in the league, won 3 Norris trophies, simply because he put up a lot of points while being dog shit defensively.

Defensive skills, literally AHL level, offensive skills like Cale Makar. He's probably the only one that it actually applies to, the other winners going back over 25 years were all elite defensively, or well above average defensively + elite offensively. He's the only guy that won while being horrendous in his own end and was shoved down our throats by the media.

I don't think it's true for anyone else, just him, but since it was so recent it's still in peoples minds.

Reactions: Oak and Voight

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
Gotta cast my homer vote for Dahlin. So many people seem to think of him as a struggling offensive defenseman? But he’s been a dominant 3-zone 2-way player for 2 straight seasons now, and he’s quite physical. And he’s still only 23. If he played on either a better team or in a bigger market, he’d be a superstar.

• Haha
Reactions: teravaineSAROS

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad