the most overrated Hockey player of all time

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
I think Joe Malone and George Hainsworth are both overrated by people who look at their stats without the proper historical context. I used to be one of the ones doing the overrating

Boxscore

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 22, 2007
I have no idea what this means...

Mahovlich could have been a lot better than he was. He had the good size and shot but lacked the intensity to be one of the best of his generation, yet he is revered.... a little too much in my honest opinion.

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
Mahovlich could have been a lot better than he was. He had the good size and shot but lacked the intensity to be one of the best of his generation, yet he is revered.... a little too much in my honest opinion.

fine, but I still don't know what your last statement meant.

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn

Perhaps because he won multiple Cups for both Toronto and Montreal?

I do find it interesting that someone almost universally regarded as the third best NHL LW of all time only has 3 top 5s in points and 0 top 2s. But the reasoning is that he was held back by Punch Imlach's stiffing system

Canadiens1958

Nov 30, 2007
Lake Memphremagog, QC.
Playing Wide

Perhaps because he won multiple Cups for both Toronto and Montreal?

I do find it interesting that someone almost universally regarded as the third best NHL LW of all time only has 3 top 5s in points and 0 top 2s. But the reasoning is that he was held back by Punch Imlach's stiffing system

Majority of centers are LHS who tend slightly left when rushing the puck up the middle. To this day LWs have to play a bit wider to maintain and create spacing and openings.

The issue with Imlach is more about attitude - disrespect shown certain players including Frank Mahovlich. The point aspect attributed to Imlach relates to a 3F/2D PP he employed and the fact that PP time was rotated more or less equally amongst the three lines as opposed to heavily favouring the top line or a 4F/1D PP that allows forwards more opportunities for points.

Czech Your Math

I am lizard king
Jan 25, 2006
bohemia

Mahovlich was treated for acute depression more than once. Perhaps "lacked intensity" might be more accurately described as "had difficulty coping with a debilitating mental illness during much of his prime and career?"

I wonder how he and Chicago would have fared if the trade from Toronto to Chicago was upheld.

I can understand not giving Mahovlich any extra credit due to his susceptibility to depression. In which case, I would expect players like Lindros and Crosby wouldn't be given any extra credit due to their susceptibility to concussions.

Last edited:

DarrylshutzSydor

Aug 9, 2007
California
I wouldn't call him overrated, but I hope to NEVER hear that Baby Eric made it into the HHOF. Whaaaah I don't wanna play for Sault Ste Marie, Whaaaah I don't wanna play for Quebec, Whaaaah The doctors in Philly don't like me.......whaaaaah Baby Eric!

Czech Your Math

I am lizard king
Jan 25, 2006
bohemia
I wouldn't call him overrated, but I hope to NEVER hear that Baby Eric made it into the HHOF. Whaaaah I don't wanna play for Sault Ste Marie, Whaaaah I don't wanna play for Quebec, Whaaaah The doctors in Philly don't like me.......whaaaaah Baby Eric!

Yeah, Lindros and Crosby have a lot in common IMO.

Still, I evaluate what a player did on the ice and his value. Lindros was a force. He may be overrated by some (he wasn't as skilled as Lemieux, Jagr, Gretzky, etc.) in large part due to his potential and hype (and people's love for violence), but he deserves to be in the HHOF based on what he did, not what he could have done.

TasteofFlames

May 29, 2008
Athens, GA

I do think it's funny how much flak Lindros catches for essentially being a teenager and doing as his parent told him. I mean, sure refusing to play for a team makes you look like a dick, but should that really result in ragging his on-ice game, which was impressive, to say the least. As for his concussion issues with the Flyers, given all that we've learned in the last 15 years about brain injuries, its not unlikely that he was rushed back from injury, perhaps even multiple times, and that kind of thing most definitely would have impacted his career. Lindros was no angel, but I think he catches more **** than he deserves.

Kensu

Nov 1, 2011
New York City
he said ranked he's ranked 50th, what's wrong with him being placed at 4th among goalies going down the list. He's usually placed in the top 5, so I don't get it?

Iain Fyffe

Hockey fact-checker
I think Joe Malone and George Hainsworth are both overrated by people who look at their stats without the proper historical context. I used to be one of the ones doing the overrating
Can't agree on Malone at all. Put into proper historical context, Malone was a dominant scorer from 1913 to 1920, and a few more good years before and after that period.

Hainsworth, maybe. But I don't think so either. I suppose it depends on where you think he's rated in order to know whether he's overrated. He played seven seasons of very good senior hockey before turning pro, and was then consistently excellent for 13 major league seasons.

Just because 44 goals in 20 games, or a 0.92 GAA, don't mean what they would mean today does not mean that level of production was not still excellent in their times. Put them in context, but don't write them off.

Epsilon

#basta
Oct 26, 2002
South Cackalacky
lol, i just took a look at THN's Top 50 now. Wow.

I haven't found the whole list online yet but I've pieced together a good chunk of it from various websites and message board threads (usually talking about how players from a specific team/region did on the list). It just gets worse and worse every year.

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
Brian Lawton

Doug Wickenheiser

Wendel Clark

how is Wicks over-rated by anyone or are you just looking at his draft position and assuming. I've never heard anyone on here or any of the official NHL boards or any media person pumping his tires.............now if you said Hayley I think you'd have an argument

Yeah, it is true that Messier is overrated... by some. He's on some top-10 lists and that is just wrong.

have to agree 70's he's a top 20 kind of guy for sure but certainly not a top 10

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad