The most interesting Playoffs in quite some time.

Max1997

Oct 12, 2018
You made a post claiming to speak for a large group of people you don’t speak for. Why involve mods? You don’t represent anyone but yourself. A single opinion.
Right. So now your being pedantic. If you can’t get the gist of what I was trying to say you’re being purposely obtuse...

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
Eh I dunno. There's been some good story lines and several good games but all I'm seeing is that trap counter punch hockey is still the most effective strategy to employ. Stack five at your blue line, dump it in dump it out repeat ad infinitum. No room out there(unless you're the Avalanche).

Legionnaire

Help On The Way
Jul 10, 2002
LA-LA Land
IMO it is because the regular season has become progressively more boring. Players actually playing with passion is what you're seeing.

Reactions: mmvvpp

lakai17

Aug 10, 2006
Because of all the parity in the league. In reality CBJ only finished 2 points behind the Leafs and are definitely not your average 8 seed.

Picking up Duchene, Dzingel and having drafted a decent euro in Texier come for the run helps.

Pizza the Hutt

Game 6 Truther
Mar 22, 2012
a note on people bringing up the NBA in relationship to champion variety:

In the past decade 6 teams have won the NBA championship - 5 have won the Stanley Cup.

Super Bowl has 8, World Series has 7. The NHL has the fewest winners right now out of any NA sport.

Last edited:

Tofveve

Mar 10, 2013
The West
I can't fathom being a Tampa fan right now.

Hopefully the majority can recover by next season and support this team again. Hopefully for them it's a learning that they don't repeat. I mean that is a gut punch if I've seen one. And I've been watching this sport since the early eighties. Don't think I ever remember one like this.

TBH, it was like some super-hero power unleashed in game one, like a super-sonic blast to the heart/solar plexus. They're down by 3 after one and it looks like Columbus doesn't belong in the same league. Then they get back to 3-2 but Tampa goes on a two man advantage with half a period left in the third. That shorty was the super-sonic blast to the solar plexus. That was a spirit killer. The go-ahead goal sealed it. Never seen anything like it. Then bad luck and decision making afterward. Everyone went from superhuman on the Lightning to shells of themselves. Just crazy.

Props to Columbus, mind you. Every bit of it.

Reactions: Viqsi

winnipegger

Dec 17, 2013
If Carolina manages to come back and Toronto wins that would be an epic shakeup in the East.

libertarian

Jul 27, 2017
Middle Earth
I think the PO's so far has been one of the more interesting 1st round in quite some time and the next round look just as good.

TB/CBJ: TB going out in 4 in the first round is something that I never would of thought possible. For TB fans this must be devastating but for CBJ fans this is the ultimate Cinderella story for their fans after the season of heartache they went through with all of their great young players refusing to resign. Very interested to see if CBJ have shot their wad beating TB and are done or are they a real SC contender and be a force to reckon with going forward.

Pit/NYI: The fact that the Pens when out in the first round in 4 games reminds me of the Hawks a couple of years ago when the Preds did this to them and the Hawks have not made the PO's since. Are the Pens finished as a legit SC contender and are now a future non PO team like the Hawks and Kings?

Bos/Tor: This series is living up to it's billing as a hard fought series that will go the distance. With TB now out both teams know that winning this series gives them a very good chance to go all of the way. If either team wasn't already very motivated they absolutely are now and the hockey will only get better.

Nash/Dal: I've haven't been able to watch much of this series but from what I have seen it looks like the Stars is giving the Preds a lot of problems and will not go out easily.

SL/WPG: Except for game 3 all the games have been very close and anyone can win this. Very physical but still a very high skill series that most likely be decided by goaltending. Neither team has been able to win at home yet.

Cal/Col: Is this series the next 1st round upset? Mack is on fire and is dominating. Do the Flames have enough talent to push back and win this series? I think they do but they have to prove it.

SJS/Vegas: Vegas is proving that last year's push to the SC final was not a fluke. They are a good team and Stone may be the player that pushes them all the way. SJS have their two big D that are both game changers but is their goaltending good enough?

There has been some compelling stories in each of the 1st round matchup so far so yes this has already been a very interesting 1st round. With TB out of the race for the SC is now wide open and that should make all the next rounds very interesting.

Last edited:

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
It's been a great first round, but I wonder if it'll start to feel like 2012 with all these upsets. At the time I thought a final 4 of Phoenix, LA, New Jersey and the Rangers just felt bizarre, and not in a good way. I just remember thinking it was the flukiest playoffs at the time.

It's nice to see teams do well that haven't before, but with Tampa and Pittsburgh out, and teams like Boston and San Jose down, we'd be losing a lot of the usual suspects.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad