The most important album in my life was released 30 years ago today

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002

This got me 100% into this genre from being more of a 'metal' fan and I've been to several continents to see them play live.

I was going to play pickup basketball and had MTV on and Downtown Julie Brown said, "here is a great new group....." and I didnt like anything she liked so I had the remote in my hand to turn it off and then I heard "Alive" for the first time. I stood there for 5 minutes, dropped my basketball and drove to Tower Records in San Jose to get that CD.

Not sure they are my favorite band anymore, but easily the most important to me.

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
As someone that listened to Mother Love Bone it was a perfect next step in that Seattle sound after the loss of Andrew Wood

At the time, Ten, Temple of the Dog, Nevermind, Badmoterfinger , Screaming trees and Mudhoney were on high rotation on my playlist.

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012
Back in the day I posted on an Avalanche message board that had an OFFICIAL PEARL JAM THREAD in the off-topic section. I remember seeing the video for Alive come on one of the music channels at some point and being excited to see it and listen to them, since this would have been long enough ago that I couldn't just have listened to them right away. I found the song pretty boring and forgot all about them.

When Guitar Hero 3 came out Even Flow was on the soundtrack and I played it a lot and enjoyed it and then bought Ten and went from there. 2009 wasn't a good year and listening to Pearl Jam was probably the best thing that came out of it. I'd probably agree that they aren't the automatic answer to who my favourite band is any more, but they've probably held that title for the longest over the years. Hopefully I'll get to see them one day.

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002
Back in the day I posted on an Avalanche message board that had an OFFICIAL PEARL JAM THREAD in the off-topic section. I remember seeing the video for Alive come on one of the music channels at some point and being excited to see it and listen to them, since this would have been long enough ago that I couldn't just have listened to them right away. I found the song pretty boring and forgot all about them.

When Guitar Hero 3 came out Even Flow was on the soundtrack and I played it a lot and enjoyed it and then bought Ten and went from there. 2009 wasn't a good year and listening to Pearl Jam was probably the best thing that came out of it. I'd probably agree that they aren't the automatic answer to who my favourite band is any more, but they've probably held that title for the longest over the years. Hopefully I'll get to see them one day.

For some reason I stopped going to concerts from about 30-42. I was a little down and out of the blue I found out Pearl Jam was playing here the next week the day before my birthday. Seeing that show broke me out of the blues, sincerely. Travelled to multiple continents to see them and other bands in the decade since when I realized what I had missed.

So yea, go see them. :)

Reactions: member 51464

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012
For some reason I stopped going to concerts from about 30-42. I was a little down and out of the blue I found out Pearl Jam was playing here the next week the day before my birthday. Seeing that show broke me out of the blues, sincerely. Travelled to multiple continents to see them and other bands in the decade since when I realized what I had missed.

Thing is, as time goes on they play less and play bigger shows in terms of scale and I, despite everything, wouldn't enjoy it if I was seeing them in that setting. We'll see what happens.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON

I saw them for the first time at around Vitalogy.

I remember they played until the house lights came up, and then said "f*** it, we're going to keep playing!" and played almost another hour past 11 pm with the house lights fully up.

Neil Young, all kinds of stuff.

I remember feeling absolutely drained - one of the best indoor concerts I'd seen.

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002
Thing is, as time goes on they play less and play bigger shows in terms of scale and I, despite everything, wouldn't enjoy it if I was seeing them in that setting. We'll see what happens.

True, many more festivals now and 'best of' setlists.

Eisen

Sep 30, 2009
Duesseldorf
As someone that listened to Mother Love Bone it was a perfect next step in that Seattle sound after the loss of Andrew Wood

At the time, Ten, Temple of the Dog, Nevermind, Badmoterfinger , Screaming trees and Mudhoney were on high rotation on my playlist.
Same here, minus Mother Love Bone (got to know them later). And 8 Way Santa. TAD doesn't get enough love.

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
Not my favourite PJ album (that would be Yield), but you can’t deny the impact Ten made. 91 was a big year for music in general.

Reactions: LokiDog

K Fleur

Sacrifice
Mar 28, 2014
Never could fully get into Pearl Jam. They have some songs I like(“Go” probably is my favorite) but on the whole just never really my thing. Something about Vedder’s voice or maybe his singing style I think.

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation
I saw a tweet that said the following albums were released in a 44 day period:

Pearl Jam - Ten
GNR - Use Your Illusions I&II
Nirvana - Nevermind
Metallica - Metallica
Red Hit Chili Peppers - Blood Sugar Sex Magik
Soundgarden - Badmotorfinger

That is an insane amount of great/influential music released in just over a month.

I remember that month. That was a good month.

I've never actually owned Ten or Nevermind. They were just always on the radio and tv, and still are quite a bit.

Really hated GnR at that time. They were the classic bloated mess too far gone to realize they were yesterday's news, slaves to the insane egomaniac Axl Rose. Never owned those either.

Black album, the standard. Enter Sandman was the song *everyone* knew how to play within about two weeks after release. Saw them on that tour. For you kids out there, the video for Enter Sandman is the closest I've ever seen to correctly capturing the experience of LSD.

The best the Chilis ever were. Bass player here, lived for this shit in the 90's. Even though I was never a slap/pop type of player I still appreciate Flea. Give it Away is the best live cover song for bass players ever; sounds impressive to non-musicians, but it's easy as shit to play. Got laid at open mic nights more than once thanks to that song. ;)

Loved the Badmotorfinger album. Instant classic. Always loved Kim Thayill's playing.

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002

Pearl Jam - Ten
Nirvana - Nevermind
Metallica - Metallica

That is an instant amount of great/influential music released in just over a month.

I could have gone to this show......didnt
eab2a727aeb74f9a9d0cc5de4749206e-3708eb62-4489-40da-ace5-9f1e0d485aab.jpg

Reactions: tarheelhockey

Eisen

Sep 30, 2009
Duesseldorf
I remember that month. That was a good month.

I've never actually owned Ten or Nevermind. They were just always on the radio and tv, and still are quite a bit.

Really hated GnR at that time. They were the classic bloated mess too far gone to realize they were yesterday's news, slaves to the insane egomaniac Axl Rose. Never owned those either.

Black album, the standard. Enter Sandman was the song *everyone* knew how to play within about two weeks after release. Saw them on that tour. For you kids out there, the video for Enter Sandman is the closest I've ever seen to correctly capturing the experience of LSD.

The best the Chilis ever were. Bass player here, lived for this shit in the 90's. Even though I was never a slap/pop type of player I still appreciate Flea. Give it Away is the best live cover song for bass players ever; sounds impressive to non-musicians, but it's easy as shit to play. Got laid at open mic nights more than once thanks to that song. ;)

Loved the Badmotorfinger album. Instant classic. Always loved Kim Thayill's playing.
Bassist myself. Flea is best when he plays melody. Californication or line Soul to Squeeze. Slap is often just a hectic mess to me.
And I disagree about the Roses album. I liked those. But yeah, they were a bit yesterday's news.

Mount Suribachi

Nov 15, 2013
England

Pearl Jam - Ten
Nirvana - Nevermind
Metallica - Metallica

That is an insane amount of great/influential music released in just over a month.

The following summer I got to see Guns n Roses supported by Faith No More and Soungarden at Maine Road in Manchester.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad