The MOST FAMOUS photos ever in hockey history!

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
^^^ Salming.... Very nasty. Hockey Horror Picture Show huh?.... This was caused by Gerard Gallants skate blade.... Over 250 stitches to put him back together again though the exact stitch count unknown as there were dozens that had to be done from the inside out (followed by plastic surgery). Gruesome to say the least..... and actually, a considerable number of players over the years have been stitched up so many times from cuts that their faces, eyebrows & upper lip in particular so heavily scarred that when they get cut again & repeatedly the trainer/medical staff cant even get the needle through the scar tissue to close the wound.

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
I remember this on the cover of newspapers: the 2010 Olympic gold medalist women enjoying champagne and beer on the ice well after the game, when the rink was empty, after the cigars had been smoked. There was some silly backlash "controversy" over it, when there never is when men drink champagne and hard liquor out of the Stanley Cup.

cold_comfort_after_hockey_gold_for_irwinagosta.jpeg.size-custom-crop.1086x0.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Killion

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
I never understood why the Theoren Fleury ice-slide in overtime was so well-known and often reproduced. It's really the poster-child for pointless hot-dogging. His team was eliminated 48 hours later, partly because the opposition was pissed at his hot-dogging in front of their bench. The media treats it like it was a Cup-winning goal or something...

Anyway, a couple more:
maurice-richard-and-jean-beliveau-of-the-montreal-canadiens-hold-the-picture-id109327332

normal.jpg

ResilientBeast

Proud Member of the TTSAOA
Jul 1, 2012
Edmonton
I remember this on the cover of newspapers: the 2002 Olympic gold medalist women enjoying champagne and beer on the ice well after the game, when the rink was empty, after the cigars had been smoked. There was some silly backlash "controversy" over it, when there never is when men drink champagne and hard liquor out of the Stanley Cup.

cold_comfort_after_hockey_gold_for_irwinagosta.jpeg.size-custom-crop.1086x0.jpg

Pretty sure that was 2010 VanI, this article has the same picture in a different angle

Also part of the controversy was that one of the players was drinking under the age in BC

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...-ice-hockey-team-celebrated-winning-gold.html

Howie Hodge

Zombie Woof
Sep 16, 2017
Buffalo, NY
^^^ Salming.... Very nasty. Hockey Horror Picture Show huh?.... This was caused by Gerard Gallants skate blade.... Over 250 stitches to put him back together again though the exact stitch count unknown as there were dozens that had to be done from the inside out (followed by plastic surgery). Gruesome to say the least..... and actually, a considerable number of players over the years have been stitched up so many times from cuts that their faces, eyebrows & upper lip in particular so heavily scarred that when they get cut again & repeatedly the trainer/medical staff cant even get the needle through the scar tissue to close the wound.
Boy I do remember that severe laceration Borje Salming had, and the road map appearance the stitches gave.

I have to laugh though, whenever I heard him referred to as "King" Borje Salming.

Few knew why he was nicknamed "King."

I'll give our younger members (pun intended) a clue; it had nothing to do with his Swedish heritage, and everything to do with locker room camaraderie....

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
Also part of the controversy was that one of the players was drinking under the age in BC
Really? Then what about all those NHL Stanley Cup champions under the age of 21 who drink champagne right from the Stanley Cup!

Here is 19 year old Tyler Seguin opening up a vodka bottle to pour into the Stanley Cup (the drinking age in Boston is 21). It took me 10 seconds to find this pic. I'm sure one could trot out a dozen pics of underage drinkers on championship teams celebrating their victory.

chronicles_of_stanley_tyler_seguin_and_the_goblet_of_vodka.jpg

You prove my point RB. The "controversy" over a woman doing it when men do it and no one raises a peep. In fact, imagine what people would say if someone tried to object to a young NHL champion drinking from the Stanley Cup.

Howie Hodge

Zombie Woof
Sep 16, 2017
Buffalo, NY

Howie Hodge

Zombie Woof
Sep 16, 2017
Buffalo, NY
Really? Then what about all those NHL Stanley Cup champions under the age of 21 who drink champagne right from the Stanley Cup!

Here is 19 year old Tyler Seguin opening up a vodka bottle to pour into the Stanley Cup (the drinking age in Boston is 21). It took me 10 seconds to find this pic. I'm sure one could trot out a dozen pics of underage drinkers on championship teams celebrating their victory.

chronicles_of_stanley_tyler_seguin_and_the_goblet_of_vodka.jpg

You prove my point RB. The "controversy" over a woman doing it when men do it and no one raises a peep. In fact, imagine what people would say if someone tried to object to a young NHL champion drinking from the Stanley Cup.

What Vodka; what Cup??? Oh wait, to the left, to the left....... :thumbu:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad