Player Discussion The missed franchise turning point was drafting Price over Kopitar

Vukotal Recall

Jan 30, 2010
Yeah, I said it. And I'm saying it now because it still pisses me off. Actually, though I rarely hang out on this board much any more, I've said this consistently over the years ever since that fateful draft. That was our chance. Everyone -- everyone -- knew Kopitar was a stud. Everyone knew he was the right pick for us. It was our chance to FINALLY get a franchise center, to break the bizarre self-imposed Patrick Roy mold of the goalie god leading a squad of dead boring defensive players. Of all our many, many, many 1st round draft screw-ups, this one continues to haunt us, so many years later. Yes, despite whatever success we had for a year or two. Despite Carey being the best goalie in hockey . . . for a brief time. We missed our franchise reset, then eventually doubled down on our "star" and have crippled the franchise long-term... again.

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002
oh god here we go. I'm just here for the comments at this point
O95I8Pl.gif

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
I get why people wanted to draft a Center. But what I cannot comprehend is being pissed off that we took a goaltender whose one of the best of his generation and has won 350+ games with the organization while having very good career numbers. If we drafted Brule, would this thread even exist? Probably not.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
I’d say the bigger gaffe was trading McDonagh for Gomez. Then if they had chosen Kreider over Leblanc two years later, by 2013 you have a contending team with prime Carey, PK, McDonagh, Max, Markov, Gallagher, Kreider, Plex.

Likely means they are too good to be drafting a plug in Galchenyuk, maybe getting someone like Forsberg, Teravainen, Wilson, Hertl instead in 2012.

Jul 6, 2016
I get why people wanted to draft a Center. But what I cannot comprehend is being pissed off that we took a goaltender whose one of the best of his generation and has won 350+ games with the organization while having very good career numbers. If we drafted Brule, would this thread even exist? Probably not.

Price over Kopitar was fine. Price proved he was a special talent and has the record to prove it. . I am more pissed off by many more drafted players over the years. Just the 2003 draft would had given depth at center for ages - Carter or Getzlaf in the first round, and Bergeron, in the second. Later, Fischer over Giroux was rather bad. Juulsen over Aho was also puzzling. So, Habs had tons of opportunities to draft talented centermen... and they did not. And we are ending years later with needs to draft some, and they draft McCarron, Poehling and KK..................... OUCH !

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
At their primes, Price was better than Kopitar. Unfortunately, the Habs didn't have much else. The Kings had some good teams, and outstanding goaltending when they won their two Cups.

Maybe Price was better in one season. But Kopitar is above a PPG on a garbage Kings team today while Price is playing AHL level goaltending on what should be a good team.

Two Cups, two Selkes. At 971 points in 1,091 games (while playing great two-way hockey). He was clearly a far better pick.

Jul 6, 2016
Maybe Price was better in one season. But Kopitar is above a PPG on a garbage Kings team today while Price is playing AHL level goaltending on what should be a good team.

Two Cups, two Selkes. At 971 points in 1,091 games (while playing great two-way hockey). He was clearly a far better pick.

10 other teams DID NOT draft Kopitar ! ok, Pittsburg drafted Crosby... Poor them... lol.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
10 other teams DID NOT draft Kopitar ! ok, Pittsburg drafted Crosby... Poor them... lol.

That’s fine. I’m not saying it was the biggest mistake ever because Price has had a great career. There are other selections I’d rather have a do-over for. But let’s not pretend that Price is equal to Kopitar.

Catanddogguitarrr

Jul 3, 2016
Nowhere land
When I followed the drafts at the time, I wanted Carter or Getzlaf (was 50-50% sure at the time) instead of Kost. I had 3 other picks in Parizé, Phaneuf and Perry. Timmins clearly missed on that one. They should have trade one of our overated player to get a second pick inj the first round.
Then when it was the year of Kopitar I said that's it, we have our future number center and hockey will be interrestiong to watch. We would have Koivu + Kopitar as centers, wow !! The years we had Kovalev also to mention, and Markov in great shape, etc.
We already had Theodore and Garon back up. Halak was already picked the year before.
But Timmins picked a f*** goalie. Gosh ...

And to add to the insult LA picked Quick in second round, double Gosh !

Jul 6, 2016
That’s fine. I’m not saying it was the biggest mistake ever because Price has had a great career. There are other selections I’d rather have a do-over for. But let’s not pretend that Price is equal to Kopitar.

Kopitar NEVER have to play in a market like the Montreal's one. Minimum pressure in LA. He did not won the two Cups by himself.

Hins77

Apr 2, 2013
I could tell you one hundreds mistakes by the management, before saying Price over Kopitar is the worst of all of them. These players been elite for theirs clubs. Kopitar were more well surrounded imo.

Reactions: McTusk and 1909

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad