OT: The Menu 19 Renberg / Lord Defect/ Hotdog is not a sandwich edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lord Defect

Secretary of Blowtorching
Nov 13, 2013
Nahh, so like according to him. If you meet an NA guy > one of first questions is about what you do for work.

As opposed to someone not from NA the work question comes up later in the convo. It just made me think because it really is such a prevailing topic. I dunno, I always believed work should be something secondary to one’s life - not the defining attribute, but that’s the hippie side.
Ah ok. I generally go with where ya from, let the convo lead from there and if it starts to peter off, I’ll bring up work and let the convo carry on again. It’s not so much that I care or don’t care what you do, but it’s a doorway that can lead to other topics that may or may not come up organically on its own.

Reactions: FlyerNutter

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
I've always admired how casual it is for Europeans to travel abroad, meanwhile for us (seemingly, anyway. Maybe it's just me?) It's like a once in a lifetime thing. I mean, I know it's a little easier to travel when you're a lot closer to the places, but almost every European I've ever talked to travels frequently to foreign lands, while most Americans go on vacation to Florida or Mexico and that's it.

I will probably hit flight #100 in my life this year and ~35-37 different countries visited. :laugh:

It definitely does help that is costs like $30-50 to fly to basically anywhere in Europe one way if book in advance and semi-flexible... and once on the mainland can go country to country by train or bus very cheaply.

And North Africa and the Middle East can also be that cheap or close if get lucky and book in advance.

And we all get a minimum of 25 days off a year plus national and bank holidays...

But I think there is also a real "intrigue" about other places, especially amongst younger generations. Maybe partially to do with the world seeming smaller these days, and maybe something to do with how multicultural a lot of European major cities are. Like, for me I grew up with friends with heritage from so many places and was fascinated by them. (Indian, Pakistani, Congolese, Bosnian, Nigerian, Ethiopian)

I also wonder whether sport and pop culture has something to do with it. So many kids in England grow up loving Ronaldo, or Mbappe, or Messi... and if have an inquisitive mind then naturally want to know about where they come from. That was definitely the case with me. I idolised Kluivert and the Dutch team of the mid-late 90s. As a result? I always was super interested in the Netherlands and was so excited to go for the first time at ~12 years old.

That being said... there are a lot of people here who will never leave their region let alone their country. Often linked simply to "class", education and finances.

Lord Defect

Nov 13, 2013
Leftovers for dinner. Toasted sourdough, ham, two pieces of bacon, skim coat of mayo, mashed potatoes, skim coat of ranch.
So good.

63DCADFD-999E-4814-8C31-51B270EB5910.jpeg

Lord Defect

Nov 13, 2013
My first beer post-work tonight is some Troegs Nugget Nectar. I've been on a stout bender lately, but this is a good alternative.
I’ve had arrogant bastard one time and I’ve written off the rest of the brand. Am I missing out?

SolidSnakeUS

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2009
Baldwinsville, NY
Drinking one now, it’s not bad but I wouldn’t put it in my top 10

I sadly don't have a top 10. Double Jack might be 1 or 2. Tiny from Weyerbacher is up there too. I have an extreme soft spot for Hoegaarden. Aventinus Tap 6 is definitely up there as well and it's been so long since I've had one. Lunch and Dinner (Maine Beer Company) are both absolutely amazing.

Reactions: Lord Defect
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad