The Maxime Talbot Debate

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
I was a huge Talbot fan in junior, was thrilled when we drafted him, and I got a ton of weird looks for saying this guy was going to be something in the NHL. One of the few times I was right back then :laugh:

Max will always be a favorite of mine, and I'm so happy that the Penguins handled him absolutely correctly - backing off when Philly offered him absurd term right after he took a step back (when you play the way Max did, burning out quickly was inevitable...tough miles) and never bringing him back to be paraded as a hero's return when he was clearly a shell of his former self.

I'll never fault a fourth liner for taking a five year contract paying a (then) high amount for such a role, regardless of who it is with.

orby

Jun 16, 2013
Erie, PA
www.youtube.com
He was - for a brief period of time - an important figure in the culture of the team, and was a key part of two of the most exciting games in Pens history. He had quite a few bright moments, and I have fond memories of his time on the team as a whole. For a fourth-line grinder he certainly had (has?) an above-average career.

Reactions: Jill Sandwich

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
I assume he's a favorite of every fan who was around for the 2008 and 2009 runs. He played the best hockey of his life at the exact right time.

May 17, 2009
Maine
I wish the man greased skids at every turn of life. Given his role on the team he added some very timely goals (not just in game 7).

And I love that in the SCF game 7, after the Wings scored to make it 2-1, he went over to Fleury and said something along the lines of "Don't worry about it, I still have the cup winner if we hold the score here."

Syrinx

Jul 7, 2005
Cary, NC
After those two goals in game 7, the rest of what he meant to the team and the fans, as fantastic as it was, is gravy. He loved the fans and loved his job here. Definitely one of the good ones.

PensPlz

Dec 23, 2009
Pittsburgh
People saying that they're glad we didn't hang onto him forget the players that we let him go to keep....the Kennedys, Adamses, Glasses....

If over paying for Talbot means we lose a couple of those duds... then we should have given him the superstar treatment.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
I hear ya. But I don't think that keeping Max would have led to them seeing Gladams out the door. It just would have meant that they would have had an overpaid Max Talbot (often in the top lines) along with Gladams. Bylsma was obsessed with those two and Shero was just fine enabling Disco's whims.

I did love Talbot while he was here, though. One of my favorite players at that time.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad