Movies: The Marvels

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
I could swear there was a The Marvels thread here but I can't find it, went back just looking under Movies prefix. Nada. Maybe it didn't survive the migration.

Anyway, bumped a couple of months:

Actually fine with this, summer's really packed with movies already. Also, there would've been a 10 month gap between this and the next MCU movie.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Official synopsis:

"In Marvel Studios' 'The Marvels,' Carol Danvers aka Captain Marvel has reclaimed her identity from the tyrannical Kree and taken revenge on the Supreme Intelligence. But unintended consequences see Carol shouldering the burden of a destabilized universe. When her duties send her to an anomalous wormhole linked to a Kree revolutionary, her powers become entangled with that of Jersey City super-fan Kamala Khan, aka Ms. Marvel, and Carol’s estranged niece, now S.A.B.E.R. astronaut Captain Monica Rambeau. Together, this unlikely trio must team up and learn to work in concert to save the universe as 'The Marvels.'"

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Yeah the trailer looks fun. I really wasn't a fan of Captain Marvel at all, I am a big fan of Brie Larson as an actor but really haven't liked her as Captain Marvel in anything up until this point, but the trailer has me optimistic about the character this time around.

But I did like Monica in Wandavision, and I'm actually a huge fan of Iman as Kamala in Ms. Marvel, I think she's one of the MCUs best castings.

Hopefully it does well. Marvel desperately needs a string of successful releases right now, I think Guardians is going to be an instant hit and I have really high hopes for Secret Invasion as well... If The Marvels can do well that could be a real solid string for the MCU to try and get itself back on track heading into the core of phase 5.

Reactions: Vaheh

blueandgoldguy

Oct 8, 2010
Greg's River Heights
I guess the fears about this movie are well-founded - the constant delays, re-shoots, poor test screenings, inflated budget (reportedly upwards of $300 million). Opening weekend predictions are a domestic opening of $50 - $75 million

The Marvels Early Box Office Projections Are 72% Worse Than Quantumania.

We could be looking at a final worldwide box office somewhere in the range of The Flash and Indiana Jones, maybe the last Ant Man movie if we are being generous. Factoring in marketing (at least $100 million) and the split of revenues between the movie studio and the theatres, it seems like there is a real possibility this movie will lose $200 million or more.

Reactions: Babe Ruth

hotcabbagesoup

why u guys want Celebrini, he played like a weenie
Feb 18, 2009
Reno, Nevada
Well then let's go out there and see the movie and buck the dire predictions, boys!

Although, Brie Larsson does annoy me a little, she's Adam Larsson's cousin so I'm totally willing to support the Larsson family!

Reactions: John Price

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
I guess the fears about this movie are well-founded - the constant delays, re-shoots, poor test screenings, inflated budget (reportedly upwards of $300 million). Opening weekend predictions are a domestic opening of $50 - $75 million

The Marvels Early Box Office Projections Are 72% Worse Than Quantumania.

We could be looking at a final worldwide box office somewhere in the range of The Flash and Indiana Jones, maybe the last Ant Man movie if we are being generous. Factoring in marketing (at least $100 million) and the split of revenues between the movie studio and the theatres, it seems like there is a real possibility this movie will lose $200 million or more.
Wut? Most recent test screenings, which were public on top of it have been positive. As for ticket sales and pre-sales, no clue as I never buy them in advance personally even if I see the movie.

Test screenings supposedly went really well. Brie Larson lovers breathe a sigh of relief after 'The Marvels' test screenings declare it one of the year's best

Meanwhile, BigScreenLeaks also tweeted that he had heard some positive reactions for the flick.

He tweeted: “the people I have spoken to enjoyed the film and it sounds like most of the audience did as well.”

Interestingly, this screening has been a change to the form for Marvel, who typically do internal test screenings, whereas this screening for ‘The Marvels’ was a public test screening, which may mean more critical reactions.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
Wut? Most recent test screenings, which were public on top of it have been positive. As for ticket sales and pre-sales, no clue as I never buy them in advance personally even if I see the movie.

Test screenings supposedly went really well. Brie Larson lovers breathe a sigh of relief after 'The Marvels' test screenings declare it one of the year's best

Test screenings for Ant-Man and the Wasp: Quantumania were also very positive. That doesn't guarantee box office success, especially when a film cost nearly $300M.

Culture - The First Reactions to 'Ant-Man And The Wasp: Quantumania' Are in and Here Is What Critics Are Saying
Overall, the early reactions are very positive. Critics agree that the film is a good start for Phase 5. Jonathan Majors’ Kang the Conqueror stands out as a gripping performance and everyone cannot wait to see what is next for the character.

Last edited:

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
The final trailer was a pretty clear desperation attempt from the marketing team to use old Avengers footage and End Game footage... A sign they're very concerned about these box office predications and the potential for the MCUs first legit box office bomb.

That being said, I loved this trailer so it worked on me. Has me very excited to see the movie this weekend now after mostly being fairly meh about it(I like the Mrs. Marvel series but really not a fan of Captain Marvel and Brie in general in the MCU hasn't been great IMO).

Also, some very early reviews are starting to come out now as some countries across Europe were apparently doing showings starting tonight.... A lot of positive reviews coming out. Hopefully this continues going forward and some real positive word of mouth gets this movie heading in the right direction at the box office.

Between GOTG 3 and Loki Season 2 it was feeling like Marvel was starting to turn the corner and maybe putting together a better run of MCU additions(Although Secret Invasion wasn't great) so hopefully The Marvels can continue building that trend.

• Haha
Reactions: beowulf

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
I haven't really felt any urge to see this. I enjoyed Ms. Marvel to an extent and like the character of Kamala Khan so it's not her fault for the parts I didn't enjoy with the story.

The problem is, I just found Captain Marvel to be spectacularly meh. The movie and the character. The movie is just a really by the numbers Marvel origin and the character is just borderline devoid of personality or compelling conflict. The whole thing about never giving up is a tough thing to resonate when the end product that helps her overcome any adversity is near godlike powers. Past that, mildly snarky, mildly stoic, and mildly sassy is not a compelling personality for me to feel anything for the character.

And then with Monica Rambeau, I like the actress but the origin of her powers and her near nepotistic connection with Carol Danvers is not compelling to me. Plus the movie would have to do some serious heavy lifting to make me forget and ignore that she has, bar none, the stupidest line in the MCU in Wandavision when she tells Wanda "they'll never know what you sacrificed for them." in reference to an entire town of people who were mentally held captive by Wanda for weeks, and the sacrifice being letting go of her imaginary family that she willed into "existence" with her powers. I still get upset just thinking about that line.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad