News Article: The market seems silent, but is it?

NewYorkIsles

Jun 30, 2012
Nassau County
https://www.sny.tv/islanders/news/the-market-seems-silent-but-is-it/189237898

Another great article from the reliable Andy Graziano. Some key quotes.

A source indicated to IPB that Islanders GM Garth Snow, after having serious interest in Loui Eriksson, who signed in Vancouver, is keeping tabs on Shane Doan, an unrestricted free agent from the Arizona Coyotes.

Even though the consensus opinion is that Snow did well to replace his losses, the need is still there for an impact winger and the three-headed goaltender monster needs to be addressed.

The same source told IPB that Snow has been involved in conversations throughout the league, looking to trade. There was no indication on specific names the Islanders GM is offering up, but Evander Kane was mentioned on the other side, with Snow being reluctant to give up 'significant' assets for the much-maligned Sabres winger. The 24-year-old Kane is under contract for the next two seasons at an annual cap hit of $5.250 million.

Very interesting, Evander Kane is a knucklehead - but would be great next to JT91. I rather have JVR, but that's just me. Also, Shane Doan wouldn't be a bad pick up. Discuss.

seabass45

Jan 12, 2007
Left side is pretty locked in with Ladd, Lee, Prince, Chimera. Only way I could see us trading for another one is someone like JVR right now.. i.e., a clear upgrade. Kane is a mess so Buffalo is trying to offload him wherever they can, but they probably want a premium asset back, and... nope.

As for JVR, the sense I'm getting is that Toronto is happy to keep him around to help the kids. He's basically the adult in the room now, along with Bozak and Lupul (if he plays).

scott99

May 13, 2005
Left side is pretty locked in with Ladd, Lee, Prince, Chimera. Only way I could see us trading for another one is someone like JVR right now.. i.e., a clear upgrade. Kane is a mess so Buffalo is trying to offload him wherever they can, but they probably want a premium asset back, and... nope.

As for JVR, the sense I'm getting is that Toronto is happy to keep him around to help the kids. He's basically the adult in the room now, along with Bozak and Lupul (if he plays).

Kane would add size and speed. But there several problems with him, obviously he isn't a guy who seems to play nice. He seems like a locker room cancer. But even that can be worked on (Tavares is a great leader). The other problem, in my opinion, is he's just not a finisher. His draft year, he was considered a future sniper, and just never lived up to that hype. Also, he gets injured a lot. Has talent, just never realized in the NHL. I wouldn't want him, but Garth is running the show. Like everyone else, I would definitely prefer JVR.

blitzkriegs

May 26, 2003
Beach & Mtn & Island
Visit site
Kane would add size and speed. But there several problems with him, obviously he isn't a guy who seems to play nice. He seems like a locker room cancer. But even that can be worked on (Tavares is a great leader). The other problem, in my opinion, is he's just not a finisher. His draft year, he was considered a future sniper, and just never lived up to that hype. Also, he gets injured a lot. Has talent, just never realized in the NHL. I wouldn't want him, but Garth is running the show. Like everyone else, I would definitely prefer JVR.
Tavares is a 'great leader' ... I wouldn't go that far. The isles have retained Boulton for several years to mentor him and intentionally sought leadership this offseason in player changes...

Jester9881

May 16, 2006
Long Island NY
Evander Kane is just about the polar opposite of what Snow typically looks for. No way those rumors are true, unless he was offered and Snow said hell no.

xECK29x

Sponsor
Jul 19, 2006
Deer Park, NY
As much as I respect Andy and IPB I don't see them having any real sources close to Garth. Those names just do not make sense based on history. Doan will play for Arizona for retire, the Isles value character on/off-ice way too much to take on someone like Kane, plus he doesn't play RW AFAIK.

Macch

Mar 22, 2010
Well good to know he's still looking.

Wouldn't put too much stock into Kane.

Given this was a weak FA pool, I'm surprised there wasn't more trades this off-season.

Hopefully Snow will find a good trade partner.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
We have to send a contract or two the other way in a trade for a roster player.

Snow was probably looking for a RW and wanted Eriksson. PAP was most likely his fallback option.

Jester9881

May 16, 2006
Long Island NY
I still maintain that if anything happens it will be at the deadline. Too many teams believe they're in it right now. There will be a clearer picture at the deadline, and players with high salary 6m+ can easily fit under the cap when pro-rated. Look for players on teams that fall out like possibly Boston (Krejci), Ottawa (Ryan), Anaheim (Perry/Getz), NYR (Nash), LA (Carter), Dal (Spezza), Tor (Bozak).

Granted, some of those names would cost a ton.... but the Islanders have plenty of ammo to spend and a clear need.

Felix Unger

Aug 2, 2005
1. You probably don't acquire Evander Kane. You certainly don't acquire Evander Kane if what is said appears on that surveillance video actually appears on that surveillance video. Super duper unlikely.

2. Shane Doan won't be able to keep up in the eastern conference. That would be a terrible idea.

3. JVR is going to cost Anders Lee and a big plus. For something on the left side, it's just tweaking at this point. Is it worth the big add? I don't think so.

I think it's very unlikely we see acquisitions until around midseason. Hopefully we'll see some dumps first.

scott99

May 13, 2005
Tavares is a 'great leader' ... I wouldn't go that far. The isles have retained Boulton for several years to mentor him and intentionally sought leadership this offseason in player changes...

Leads by example. Florida game winner is an example. Also, the NHL disagrees with you, was named a finalist for the Mark Messier leadership award. Also, just listen to the way his teammates talk about him, they always mention his leadership.

SLAPSHOT723

QU! Bobcats!
Jan 14, 2008
Long Island/NYC
www.nhl.com
I think Doan would be a great addition here, his leadership and goal scoring would be a huge help. But there's no way he's moving his family to NY. He's staying in Arizona.

Not only is Evander Kane the opposite of what Garth likes in his players, but we don't have room for him. Do we need every LW in the history of man kind? We need a RW.

Richie Daggers Crime

Boosted 9 times double masked they/them
Mar 8, 2004
Boise
Has anyone thought of asking Gary Bettman to make the Isles lineup look like:

Andrew Ladd-John Tavares-Kris Versteeg
Nikolai Kulemin-Mikhail Grabovski-Blake Wheeler
Brock Nelson-Nazim Kadri-Ryan Strome
Jason Chimera-Casey Cizikas-Cal Clutterbuck

Nick Leddy-Johnny Boychuk
Ryan Suter-Travis Hamonic
Thomas Hickey-Ryan Pulock

?

SLAPSHOT723

QU! Bobcats!
Jan 14, 2008
Long Island/NYC
www.nhl.com
Has anyone thought of asking Gary Bettman to make the Isles lineup look like:

Andrew Ladd-John Tavares-Kris Versteeg
Nikolai Kulemin-Mikhail Grabovski-Blake Wheeler
Brock Nelson-Nazim Kadri-Ryan Strome
Jason Chimera-Casey Cizikas-Cal Clutterbuck

Nick Leddy-Johnny Boychuk
Ryan Suter-Travis Hamonic
Thomas Hickey-Ryan Pulock

?

How Are You Going To Convince Him To Get Rid Of The Salary Cap Before The Season Starts?

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
If Islanders want somebody like Doan I am guessing Iginla could be had for fairly cheap, the only problem is he has a NMC and somewhat unlikely he wants to move to the East

Otto91

Aug 13, 2006
No Doubt Snow is kicking tires on a deal but Forget Kane or Doan...Not happening!

Snow will wait till after all arbitration hearings as a deal might come up from a team not able to sign a higher priced award.

There is a glut of left wingers and centers with the right side Being soft.

Still would like to see Barzal and Ho Sang added to the team but to do so a player or 2 must go!

Can we Steal The 2017 1st round pick from Leafs for Strome, Bailey, and JFB

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
Sounds like Garth is looking for legit top six right winger.

Kane only makes sense if you are moving more salary than you are taking back.

Words Of Wisdom

Truth Speaker
Oct 20, 2011
Long Island.
Evander Kane is so talented but he certainly isn't worth mortgaging your future over. Such a headache, completely opposite of the signings Snow usually makes as well.

A Pointed Stick

No Idea About The Future
Dec 23, 2010
Then there's this gem. Guy plays his entire career for one franchise, then at almost 40 decides to say the heck with it and move clear across the continent? Calling bull excrement on that one too

I was going to say the same thing. If Doan wants to go for a cup, you have to figure it will be a top 4 team in league team.

A Pointed Stick

No Idea About The Future
Dec 23, 2010
Sounds like Garth is looking for legit top six right winger.

Kane only makes sense if you are moving more salary than you are taking back.
+1
After years of smugly stating they built the club on character that goes out the window with Kane.

Top Corner

Feb 27, 2002
Mtl
Visit site

my understanding is Kane and ladd do not mix well from time in Wpg
i believe Kane even mentioned when asked who he was not fond of in Wpg and Ladds name
came out. Surprised he even answered that question after trade to Buffalo

IslesNorway

Apr 9, 2007
Nittedal, Norway
I'm completely sure that Snow would do his due diligence on Kane by asking Ladd and then keep well away. Kane will be probably be out of hockey in a few years at his current pace but can possibly be had quite cheap for the team willing to give it a try

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad