Post-Game Talk (GBU): The Luukkonen's hawKliKe hoKuspoKus caKewalKs on Broadway - Sabres 5 - Rangers 1, 11/27/23

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse
Statement game.
Indeed. They never stopped working. Great 60-min effort aside from a little sagging in the 2nd half of the 2nd period. I hope they can keep it rolling.
Prob enjoyed that game the most this year. Should give the Rangers a participation trophy for winning the dot.
Some point late in the 2nd pd they showed F/O were 23-5 in favor of NYR.
I'm thinking just make it like half-court basketball and give the Rangers the puck behind their own net instead of having D-zone draws and given them the puck at the Sabres blue-line for offensive draws.
This team is like a bi polar woman one day its great and the next its a nightmare.
1701142247662.jpeg

That's Harlem Globetrotters vs. Washington Generals stats territory.

Okposo has a strong game, even without the 5th goal, but glad they pressed until the final horn and he got it.
I didn't realize Adam Fox was out until the 2nd period.
Tuch looks dangerously thin. He looks 20 lbs lighter than last year.
Mittelstadt's beard needs to stay. And next road trip he needs to wear suspenders, black pants, a loose button-down and a straw hat like an Amish / Mennonite farmer.

Rosen - Dunleavy was saying Rose Ain. Is it pronounced like that as opposed to the German / Jewish Rose-En (soft E, not hard A), or is his Ontarian shining through (as in American again soft E vs. Canadian a-gain rhyming with a-pain)?

MOGlLNY

Jan 5, 2008
I'm thinking just make it like half-court basketball and give the Rangers the puck behind their own net instead of having D-zone draws and given them the puck at the Sabres blue-line for offensive draws.

View attachment 774276

Okposo has a strong game, even without the 5th goal, but glad they pressed until the final horn and he got it.
Mittelstadt's beard needs to stay. And next road trip he needs to wear suspenders, black pants, a loose button-down and a straw hat like an Amish / Mennonite farmer.

Rosen - Dunleavy was saying Rose Ain. Is it pronounced like that as opposed to the German / Jewish Rose-En (soft E, not hard A), or is his Ontarian shining through (as in American again soft E vs. Canadian a-gain rhyming with a-pain)?
Roe-zay-in I believe

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse
Some day someone will compile a list of worst NHL calls ever. That one is top 10 all day long
The interference call was completing a check on a player who passed the puck, wasn't even that late. 999 out of 1000 times that's not called.

Re: Benson - totally agree. We've seen Sabres and non-Sabres alike cross-checked square in the numbers high-torso head-first into the boards and not get up from the ice with no penalty called and they call that "shot" where the Ranger didn't even budge? I'm sure @Old Navy Goat's 4'6" Thai bar girls have done rougher things in their extracurricular "duties".

cardiffgiant

Continue without supporting us
Sep 28, 2005
I guess they kept it simple tonight!

That was a fun game. UPL stole the show and
let the run and gun offense make an appearance.

dire wolf

immaculate vibes
May 9, 2006
Out in LA
UPL might be the guy
He's definitely the guy right now. He might be the guy for the rest of the season. Beyond that, hopefully he and Levi make a good duo. Personally, I'd send Levi down to Roch so he can get more ice. Let him play for a while down there until he forces their hand or someone gets hurt. There's no shame in a young goalie playing in the A. He needs as many reps as he can get. Let 6K take 75% of the starts. It also frees up another roster spot for a forward.

As for the game, I loved watching Benson. He impresses the hell out of me with his motor and IQ. Seems to almost always make the right play. His score sheet was all blanks tonight, but he was one of the best players on the ice.

Gotta give some love to VO also. I was bashing him the other day, but he had a great game.

Mitts, Tuch & Skinner continue to pick up steam. This version of Tuch was greatly missed earlier in the season.

Macbanan

Dec 28, 2013
Uppsala, Sweden
Indeed. They never stopped working. Great 60-min effort aside from a little sagging in the 2nd half of the 2nd period. I hope they can keep it rolling.

View attachment 774276

Here's a pronounciation. Rosén pronunciation: How to pronounce Rosén in Swedish

Rose-ain is a good approximation.

Reactions: Dingo44

K8fool

Sep 30, 2018
stomach of giant parasitic worm
He's definitely the guy right now. He might be the guy for the rest of the season. Beyond that, hopefully he and Levi make a good duo. Personally, I'd send Levi down to Roch so he can get more ice. Let him play for a while down there until he forces their hand or someone gets hurt. There's no shame in a young goalie playing in the A. He needs as many reps as he can get. Let 6K take 75% of the starts. It also frees up another roster spot for a forward.

As for the game, I loved watching Benson. He impresses the hell out of me with his motor and IQ. Seems to almost always make the right play. His score sheet was all blanks tonight, but he was one of the best players on the ice.

Gotta give some love to VO also. I was bashing him the other day, but he had a great game.

Mitts, Tuch & Skinner continue to pick up steam. This version of Tuch was greatly missed earlier in the season.
Benson is the competitive lil bastard the whole team needs. Spot on.

Oh a good point from the govt board, well put

2 hours ago, Sabres Super Fan said:
Good road win over a good New York Rangers team. UPL was outstanding probably the best game I have seen him as a Buffalo Sabres in my opinion. Go Sabres! Let’s Go Buffalo
This can't be said enough tonight.

K8fool

Sep 30, 2018
stomach of giant parasitic worm

Tuch is back , oloffson should never be counted out. 7th round always evolving. This group is achieving and will give cover to slow acclimation of Thompson and Quinn

The only loss was when we went 12/6. So obviously….

11/7 for life y’all!

Until Tt and Q

Club

Mar 2, 2015
Calgary
I REALLY hope this was the game where we build back on the offense of last year. We looked good with a few of our guys injured. I like Benson. I liked VO's defense tonight. Casey is a stud.

re-sign 6K.

Last edited:
Reactions: SECRET SQUIRREL

toddkaz

Nov 25, 2022
Krebs with 18 minutes of ice time. More than Skinner. Is there something Granato sees in Krebs that we are missing?

debaser66

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2012
Interesting, Power with big minutes tonight at 25:01. Dahlin just barely below 20 at 19:59.
Maybe they wanted to give him a rest in a game that was already settled? When I checked the boxscore this morning I was already getting anxious that he might be injured.

debaser66

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2012
Sure felt good to see all of those Rangers fans heads for the exists after Tuch’s second goal. And even more of them after Mittelstadt’s empty netter.

That fifth goal was just the “f*** you” I needed to round out the 3rd too. Perfect game to attend, I give it five stars!
glad you escaped the treatment they gave sabremike the other day

TageGod

Aug 31, 2022
I am fine with the 11/7 lots of dead weight in the bottom of the forward lineup.

Bring 6k back.

Archie Lee

Apr 13, 2018
My OCD does not like 11/7. But the reality is that teams almost never get through a game rolling 4 lines and 3 d-pair. PP/PK, score situation, match-ups and injuries result in lines and d-pairs getting mixed up and shuffled practically every game. 11/7 seems to have forced our hand and caused us to give some ice-time to certain forwards who do seem to be reengaged.

If you have 7 good d-men and 11 good and healthy forwards, then 11/7 is just the way to go. It’s not all that uncommon around the league.

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
The way Benson plays the game at his age is something Im not sure Ive witnessed from a Sabres prospect.

He made a play in the third where he was caught in the o zone on the wall close to he blueline. The Rangers player has possession and chooses an attempt to pass it back into the offensive zone to the defenseman. He totally expects Benson to give up some room along the wall so he can rip the puck by him. Nope. The 18 year old kid quickly makes a swift play along the wall to pick off the puck and bring possession back into the o zone.

Those are the plays he was making all night. One step ahead of guys who have been in the league for years. It's truly remarkable. I remember being astonished by Quinn's play in the AHL in his D+1 year, but what Benson is doing is incredibly rare.

Also, the team was down Thompson, Quinn, Greenway, and Girgs. That's a good mix of skill and grit lost, and they put together a gutsy effort on the road, and completely locked it down in the third.

Finally, props to the team and coaching staff for staying poised after the first Rangers goal. The arena was ROCKING. Momentum had shifted heavily, but they just kept grinding.

Big boy win!

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad