The logistics of televising the Olympics.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Hi from Rio

Three days into this adventure I can report that so far so good.
NBC put together a plan to move people around Rio and so far it has been flawless. Think of it as a in house Uber type system and the drivers stay with you until you are safely back.

The logistics of getting the equipment to Brazil are mindboggling. The IOC provides a generic production of every event through OBS ( Olympic Broadcast Service ) and for those of you in Canada and Europe that is what you are getting for the most part with audio provide by your local broadcasters.

NBC however produces their own feed for select events - swimming, gymnastics, athletics (track & field ), golf ( NBC is producing the generic world feed as well ) and beach volleyball. Every other sport they will use the generic feed with some extra flyback cameras. Many of these events the announcers are not even in Rio but back in Stamford, CT watching on a monitor.

NBC has on site production trucks from California, Texas, Illinois, Pennsylvania, New Jersey and New Hampshire. The trucks all were driven to Texas where they were put on a freighter that took 20 days to get to Rio. As soon as the games end the trucks get shipped back to the US for football.

The OBS feed relies on broadcasters from other countries that are experts in that sport. The list has some surprises.

Aquatics: OBS handles everything, with the exception of Marathon Swimming, which will be produced by Sky TV New Zealand.
Archery: SBS Korea
Athletics: YLE Finland will handle all events in the Olympics Stadium, and VRT Belgium will produce Marathon and Race Walking.
Badminton: CCTV China
Basketball: OBS
Boxing: ICRT Cuba
Canoeing: Sprint Canoe will be produced by the BBC; Slalom Canoe, by Czech TV.
BMX: OBS
Mountain Biking and Track Cycling: RTVE Spain
Road Race and Road Race Time Trial: VRT Belgium
Equestrian: OBS
Fencing: OBS
Football: Globo Brazil is producing matches in São Paulo, Belo Horizonte, Salvador, and Maracanã; NHK, matches in BrasÃlia; OBS, Manaus matches; and YLE Finland, those at the Olympic Stadium.
Golf: NBC Sports
Gymnastics: CCTV China
Handball: OBS
Hockey: NOS Netherlands
Judo: NHK Japan
Modern Pentathlon: OBS
Rowing: BBC
Rugby Sevens: Sky TV New Zealand
Sailing: OBS
Shooting: OBS
Table Tennis: OBS
Taekwondo: SBS Korea
Tennis: BBC
Triathlon: Sky TV New Zealand
Volleyball: Indoor Volleyball will be produced by Fuji TV Japan; OBS, Beach Volleyball.
Weightlifting: TVPT Poland
Wrestling: NHK Japan

For me it is an honor to be a part of this.

Last edited by a moderator:

Roughneck

Oct 15, 2003
Calgary
Visit site
Definitely one hell of a production,

How many people work for OBS full time? I'd assume they're just on contract but it seems like a challenge to cover so much with a slapped together crew for the games. I guess they'd have a lot of work every two years so maybe it's steadier work than I think.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Definitely one hell of a production,

How many people work for OBS full time? I'd assume they're just on contract but it seems like a challenge to cover so much with a slapped together crew for the games. I guess they'd have a lot of work every two years so maybe it's steadier work than I think.

OBS has many full time managers but at the venues they rely on freelancers.

https://www.obs.tv/about

They are based in Madrid and being owned by the IOC they are quite secretive.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad