The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom - May 12th, 2023

Voodoo Child

Jun 16, 2009
Best part was the Lynel colisseum in the depths.

Not best but a good strong ride. Daunting but not From-level you need to be perfect or you’ll die daunting.

Just beat it, barely.

1st guy didn’t even touch me - shamed his ancestors.

Second guy claymore Lynel got me a few times, he was good.

Third got me once or twice, fourth hit me hard and I had just enough to make it through the last guy.

Their weapons are garb but their bows break the game and the reward is cool.

Reactions: Leonardo87

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
Decided to beat Ganon and finish the game earlier than I expected. Finished with 20 hearts, max stamina, maybe 30-40 light roots, and 7.66 battery packs. I left a lot of shrines untouched, didn't do the Gerudo Phenomenon, only did one labyrinth, didn't touch a lot of the side quests, and didn't really get into building things with all my zonai capabilities. You guys should check out "Hyrule Engineering" on Reddit, it's amazing what some people are doing.

Awesome game with a surprisingly awesome ending. I have a feeling they'll make at least one more Zelda game in this style. I hope they change the map and the game takes place elsewhere to keep things fresh.

My only major complaints were the map being very familiar even with the changes, it was a mistake to replay BOTW again before the game came out because it curtailed my desire to explore every nook and cranny. There's a lot I didn't do in the game so when I replay it later on in the year I'll take my time and give it a proper play through. Oh and there really should be a button to quickly orientate objects when trying to build things. It discouraged me from building a lot of the time because you really have to place things precisely for them to work, I know they guide you a little bit with those two tiny dots but the process felt clumsy at times.

I think they should have flipped the amount of detail between the depths and the sky islands. There could've been more to see and do up there and I felt the depths were cool but a little tedious tbh.

I like the crafting system for weapons a lot, it partially solved the durability issue for those that were bothered by it in BOTW (I never minded the weapons breaking). I hope they tweak Master Mode when it comes out because TOTK does have some balance issues with combat. In the first 1/3rd or so of the game everything is dangerous but as soon as you're regularly coming across white-level enemies you can at all times have 10+ weapons in your inventory doing 40+ damage.

When I replay it I think i'm going to have some artificial rules for myself to keep things fresh. Something like limiting myself to 8 weapon slots, maxing out stamina again before i beef up my hearts, don't cheese shrines with zonai devices, etc...Maybe finish all the depths and learn how to build cool shit. It's definitely a game I want to take my time with next time I play and aside from the complaints I really did love the game. Great, great successor to BOTW. Let's hope the next one doesn't take 7 god damn years to make

Reactions: Jovavic

Jovavic

Gaslight Object Project
Oct 13, 2002
New Born Citizen Erased
How long did it take the BotW DLC to come out after the game launched? After playing FFXVI for 60 hours, it's much faster battle system has my muscle memory so jumping right back into TotK right now would be painful lol. I hope they release details of the DLC soon.

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
How long did it take the BotW DLC to come out after the game launched? After playing FFXVI for 60 hours, it's much faster battle system has my muscle memory so jumping right back into TotK right now would be painful lol. I hope they release details of the DLC soon.
I would guess in a month or two.

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
Musings about major story beats

Man the 5th sage is easily the best. Having a mech battle was super fun, although it was kind of an easy fight. I kinda knew Zelda was gonna turn into a dragon the instant I saw the Tear memory of them first mentioning becoming a dragon, but the way it played out was still very heartwrenching. Overall I think they can add some cool lore stuff for DLC still.

On the not so positive side, the voice acting and dialogue is still horrendous like it was in Breath. Oh well.

Speyer

Sep 23, 2016
Im Wald
Call me a boomer but I actually miss the meat and potatoes dungeon gameplay of the older games in the series. Never cared much about open world games and I don't even think TotK compares that favorably in this department to other genre staples such as Elden Ring. But the last two games have been so successful financially that this will be the new formula until people get sick of it.

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
Call me a boomer but I actually miss the meat and potatoes dungeon gameplay of the older games in the series. Never cared much about open world games and I don't even think TotK compares that favorably in this department to other genre staples such as Elden Ring. But the last two games have been so successful financially that this will be the new formula until people get sick of it.
I think without a brand new map fans will get sick of it for sure. I'm not sure I would buy the third game if it's that same Hyrule. BOTW made traversing and exploring the world perfectly entertaining IMO. TOTK reworked things a little but the zonai builds trivialize the exploration on a map you've most likely already seen 90% of in the last game.

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
I’d say that maybe Nintendo could’ve finagled their training shrines a bit earlier somehow. 155 hours in, and I got the archery training shrine on my 149th out of 152 shrines.

Speyer

Sep 23, 2016
Im Wald
I think without a brand new map fans will get sick of it for sure. I'm not sure I would buy the third game if it's that same Hyrule. BOTW made traversing and exploring the world perfectly entertaining IMO. TOTK reworked things a little but the zonai builds trivialize the exploration on a map you've most likely already seen 90% of in the last game.
I don't think they can recycle the map a thrid time. But they can use the same formula in terms of exploration (climbing, gliding, shrines etc.), the gameplay loop so to speek, for future games with a new map.

PeteWorrell

[...]
Aug 31, 2006
Nintendo already confirmed that they will keep this formula. The series has never been so successful so they are not changing it too much anytime soon.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
My ONLY complaint is the breakable weapons.

Stop doing that that's bad in every game It's ever been in.

Breakable weapons is NEVER a good idea

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
Nintendo already confirmed that they will keep this formula. The series has never been so successful so they are not changing it too much anytime soon.

Yeah, BotW is by far the best-selling game in the series, and TotK is already essentially the third best-selling in the series and is borderline a sure thing to at least be the new second best-selling of the series by year’s end.

IMG_0543.jpeg

Nintendo’s not reinventing the series any time soon. They’re going to iterate, expand, and improve on the BotW/TotK formula.

That being said, I’ll be downright shocked if they return to this Hyrule a third time. I wouldn’t be surprised if the series stays with this Link and Zelda for additional adventures, but I don’t know how they could jam any more in there. It’ll be either same formula in a different Hyrule or the same crew and formula elsewhere away from Hyrule.

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
BOTW and TOTK are the only two Zelda games I’ve played. What other creative opportunities do they have to base a new game on? I’d be down for just about anything, I’m probably hooked for life at this point.

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
I wouldn't mind a "smaller" 3rd game. Link and Zelda go off to that other land where Sidon's wife came from.

And when I say "land" I likely mean a large island. One with more dungeons.

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
BOTW and TOTK are the only two Zelda games I’ve played. What other creative opportunities do they have to base a new game on? I’d be down for just about anything, I’m probably hooked for life at this point.

There's still a wealth of untapped items yet to be brought in, like the hookshot, other major bosses, like Vaati, major themes mostly untapped, like the triforce, and generally an understanding that Hyrule is only a part of the world and not all of it.

I have no clue if they want to make a third Zelda game starring this iterarion of Link, but they absolutely could while still remaining fresh, imho.

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
Not going to lie, during a recent road trip, I saw tall wild weeds out the window and my brain immediately went, "oooh, safflinas."

I have a problem.

I don't even use the damn things, but the pick up sound does something for me.

Voodoo Child

Jun 16, 2009
I think I’m putting it down for a while - lotta work this week, visiting friends weekend and going on a mini vacation next week is perfect.

Let’s see…

All light roots.

134 shrines. I’ll probably fill these out later.

35ish hearts and full stamina, aside from high level Lynels I can just rush in and tank hits til I win.

300 or so Koroks, need a few more for another bow slot.

The Rito and Yunobo have been upgraded once with Sage’s Wills.

8 batteries full, three ‘enhanced’.

An ass ton of 3 and 5 shot Lynel Bows.

No weapons below 60, a few above 100.

Zonai Set is my go to but it’s hard finding certain upgrade materials to max it out (lame).

I’ve killed three King Gleeoks, the regular Gleeoks at least once each, 50+ Lynels and who knows how many Phantom Ganons.

House with two weapon rooms and a bow room, a cooking area, two beds and a prayer shrine.

Overworld remains awesome.

Sky is cool but empty - but does have some excellent gear and treasures.

Depths are also cool but by the time I had 60% of it cleared it got a little boring. Lots of supreme loot and tough enemies but it’s very easy to get lost and turned around.

Positives:

- A massive time sink when I needed one.
- Better-plotted story.
- I’ve only ever once seen a bug - and it wasn’t even a bad bug - just a bit of frame rate lag (the pirate ship near Akkala).
- Ganondorf is an actual character here. They also did a wonderful job fleshing out the Yiga.
- Will still probably be able to revisit it from time to time til Christmas.

Negatives:

- Abilities - both Link’s and the Sages - aren’t as good. The Rito ability is good but not as good as BOTW, and Yunobo’s is good but not great, Riju’s is great in 2% of situations and Sidon’s just lol. Every Sage in BOTW has a game-breaking ability. Ultra hand and Fuse are cool but come on now - where the hell is Stasis?! Rewind is a low-rent version of Stasis.
- When fighting the Sages can block visibility. Against a red bokoblin ok whatever - that can get you killed against a silver Lynel (and has). There are more than enough buttons on a pro controller to give each Sage so they come out.
- Korok seeds remain the height of tedium. I posted a bit back I had like 70 and limited weapon space - I used an IGN guide and bumped that up to 220+ in 3-4 hours.
- NPC dialogue and item descriptions…I know what a Malayna bed is, and I Know what a Sundelion does, no need to tell me every time.
- The soft level-scaling. I don’t think level scaling is bad but I’m end game and need a piece from an early-mid game enemy to max my end-game gear, can’t get them anywhere.

Still - hell of a game, 97% the odds on favorite for GotY, and something I’ll blast through again in 6-8 months (if I don’t trade in my Switch as soon as Tsushima 2 gets a release date).

Last edited:
Reactions: LT

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
About 175 hours in, and I think I'm getting to my point of satisfaction with the game. Probably just a couple more sessions before I put it down until the eventual DLC(s). Aside from collecting all Korok seeds, which no sane person should do, all that's really left is getting sage's wills, upgrading all armor, and completing all the side missions, but I don't think that's going to be a compelling drive for me unless I instead take a break and come back. I did all shrines and uncovered alll lightroots.

Damn solid game. I think it's a pretty objective improvement over BotW, but the game is so expansive that I somehow doubt that I'll have the drive to do a second playthrough later on whereas I did just that for its predacessor's master mode. That'll mean that I'll up clocking considerably less time into this one versus the 300 or so hours I put into BotW.

Very happy with the direction of 3D Zelda. Hope the next one comes a few years faster than this one, though. Give me a game in this style (but with different maps now) every 3-4 years, please.

PeteWorrell

[...]
Aug 31, 2006
Very happy with the direction of 3D Zelda. Hope the next one comes a few years faster than this one, though. Give me a game in this style (but with different maps now) every 3-4 years, please.
That's just asking for the AAA model of releasing games that are all basically the same and filled with bugs. No. I would rather they take their time with it.

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
No plans for TotK DLC apparently.

Mildly surprised. Would've figured that at least a master mode and a reintroduction of the motor cycle would've been a sure thing, plus maybe some other stuff like additional house customizations would've been likely.

Also... come on, Nintendo. You're leaving us permanently hanging just short of maxing out both health and stamina? I'm minus two hearts here (yellow hearts don't count)!

Last edited:
Reactions: WeThreeKings

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad