Rumor: The Leafs have been linked to the following: Faulk (CAR), Tanev (VAN), OEL (AZ), Martinez (LA)...

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
...and David Savard (CBS).

This is a follow-up article to some of Bob Mackenzie's recent comments.

Leafs could pursue Faulk again

Best line:
"McKenzie noted Toronto’s hesitation to move one of its top young forwards, like a William Nylander or Connor Brown, though suggested Brown could be in play if the right deal presented itself."

I welcome your proposals, excitement, doubts, apprehension, and encouragement.

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
"McKenzie noted Toronto’s hesitation to move one of its top young forwards, like a William Nylander or Connor Brown, though suggested Brown could be in play if the right deal presented itself."

Ah yes. Top, young “totally equivalent because I used them in the same sentence” forwards like 28 point Connor Brown and 61 point William Nylander. Some serious used car salesmanship.

Canes would be willing to part with a top young D for Nylander or Brown. They would be willing to move Justin Faulk or Trevor Carrick. Probably leaning more towards Carrick.

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
- What is Faulk supposed to do to a defense that already struggles with everything not related to moving the puck and running the PP? Granted that he would be an astronomically huge improvement over any of the Leafs' RHDs, but the stylistic fit is not there.
- OEL is an obvious upgrade over everyone, so that's a no-brainer.
- Tanev is a match made in heaven... an expensive one at that, though.
- Savard would not be a bad addition, largely because having even one NHL level top 4 RHD would help. I wonder what a bigger role would do for him.
- Martinez... eww.

Brock Radunske

안양종합운동장 빙상장
Aug 8, 2012
Ah yes. Top, young “totally equivalent because I used them in the same sentence” forwards like 28 point Connor Brown and 61 point William Nylander. Some serious used car salesmanship.

Canes would be willing to part with a top young D for Nylander or Brown. They would be willing to move Justin Faulk or Trevor Carrick. Probably leaning more towards Carrick.
You only have one young dman that even starts up a conversation for Nylander (hint: It's not Faulk or Hanifin)

Reactions: kevrondl

Critical13

Fear is the mind-killer.
Feb 25, 2017
Sitting at a desk.

Canes fanes wouldn't move Hanifan or Faulk for William Nylander? Can you just confirm that for me?

Honestly, what is up with Canes fans recently. So much of this lately "our guy is better than yours", so combative. Nylander isn't far from Aho, and I bet many of you wouldn't be so indignant about getting Aho back in a trade for a dman.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
I'd hope to find a good price on Savard. I'd love Tanev if he could stay healthy, but given his track record that seems like an unreasonable request.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Yes, yes. And you only have one forward who starts the conversation for Slavin (hint: it’s not Nylander or Marner).

Round and round we go.
If we offered Matthews, Waddel would say yes so quick it wouldn't be a conversation. Marner would easily start a dialog. But, I don't think either Matthews or Marner would be put up for discussion. Only players who get Marner on the table are bonafide franchise defenders who can do everything, such as Doughty or Karlsson, if they were amenable to re-signing.

Reactions: FieldOfDreams

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
Canes fanes wouldn't move Hanifan or Faulk for William Nylander? Can you just confirm that for me?

I wouldn’t offer Hanifin or Faulk for Nylander if I were a GM. I’d value my professional relationships by not proposing bad offers to other GMs for their top young talent. The Canes would have to add significantly to Hanifin right now for Nylander which would be a dumb move, they would be much better off going after an established, older, more expensive Center like ROR.

Critical13

Fear is the mind-killer.
Feb 25, 2017
Sitting at a desk.
I wouldn’t offer Hanifin or Faulk for Nylander if I were a GM. I’d value my professional relationships by not proposing bad offers to other GMs for their top young talent. The Canes would have to add significantly to Hanifin right now for Nylander which would be a dumb move, they would be much better off going after an established, older, more expensive Center like ROR.

In that case I misunderstood, my bad

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
I actually don't disagree with you on that.
I was just stating that Faulk/Hanifin doesn't get Nylander.

Faulk’s value is closer to Brown than Nylander (albeit clearly higher than Brown). Hanifin wasn’t even brought up anywhere by anyone until you threw his hat in the mix for unknown reasons?

Reactions: SaskCanesFan

Brock Radunske

안양종합운동장 빙상장
Aug 8, 2012
Faulk’s value is closer to Brown than Nylander. Hanifin wasn’t even brought up anywhere by anyone until you threw his hat in the mix for unknown reasons?
I agree with your Faulk assessment.
I only brought up Hanifin because of my loose statement about there being only one defenseman on Carolina that I'd trade Nylander for and due to the recent rumours of Toronto being interested in Hanifin, I wanted to clarify it wasn't him.

kyle n00bas

Dec 10, 2017
I don't think the Leafs have the expendable assets to make much of a hockey trade here. It'll just boil down to whether or not there's a team out there willing to move a top four d-man for a package of lesser pieces (maybe a rebuilder looking to stock the cupboard?) like Brown + a prospect + a pick or something to that effect.

I wouldn't completely rule out trading Nylander (Dubas isn't known to shy away from bold moves), but my guess is that would have to involve a more significant d-man than a Tanev or Martinez.

Last edited:
Reactions: heybuddyhowyadoing

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad