OT: The Leafs Can Have Any GM/Coach Combo in the League Who Do You Pick?

Mystifo

No more Mr.FightGuy
May 26, 2011
YYT
Let's say in a ideal world the Leafs are able to just magically get any Coach and GM they so choose. Based off of this which two do you choose and why.

For example you could pick Dave Tallon + Dave Tippett or you can go straight for a complete organization's staff (As I did.)

I know this would never happen but I am interested to see who people view as the best options for our team.

For my picks I would go with double Detroit...

GM: Ken Holland
Coach: Mike Babcock

Reasoning: I love everything that the Detroit franchise does. They are the epitome of sustained success in the NHL and even when you expect them to start to falter they still manage to find gems in the draft (Nyqvist, Jurco, Sheehan, etc) Holland seems to know the proper people to surround himself with and Babcock is one of them to me it just seems like a winning combo.

Who would you like?

WordsOfWisdumb*

Let's say in a ideal world the Leafs are able to just magically get any Coach and GM they so choose. Based off of this which two do you choose and why.

For example you could pick Dave Tallon + Dave Tippett or you can go straight for a complete organization's staff (As I did.)

I know this would never happen but I am interested to see who people view as the best options for our team.

For my picks I would go with double Detroit...

GM: Ken Holland
Coach: Mike Babcock

Reasoning: I love everything that the Detroit franchise does. They are the epitome of sustained success in the NHL and even when you expect them to start to falter they still manage to find gems in the draft (Nyqvist, Jurco, Sheehan, etc) Holland seems to know the proper people to surround himself with and Babcock is one of them to me it just seems like a winning combo.

Who would you like?

A committee of everyone here in the HFBoards. :laugh: ;)

As usual, it comes down to the players. They're the ones that have to do it. It only becomes a GM issue if we're not getting value for the money in the players that are acquired, and it only becomes a coaching issue if players are performing better under different coaches than under our own.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
Hmm. this is a good question. very good.
I'm assuming we mean current/active gms and coaches, only right?

I think i would go with
Lombardi (Kings)
reason I liked what he did in San Jose (I think he was there before Wilson). he also clearly has an eye for talent or knows how to find people to get players with talent, and he really knows how to wheel a deal.

if not him
Nill (Dallas)
the fact that he got two #1 centres in a span of 1 year, makes me so jealous.

(this may surprise people, but my AGM would be Nonis. he's very good at getting players to buckle when he's an RFA, and as an AGM, he can work deals like no one's business).

as a coach.
Joel Quennville. All day long, don't even have to think about it. Loved him in St Louis, Loved him in Chicago. i wish wish wish wish wish he was here. (sans Cup).

QMJHLfollower

Heart and soul
Jul 24, 2010
Not too sure about the GM, probably Lombardi.

Hartley is my favorite coach, would love to have him. Babcock obviously as well.

Pyromaniac3

Dec 19, 2011
Toronto
Stan Bowman
Quenville

I think the current Leafs roster can play the same style Chicago does and those 2 are the best GM/coach combo to get to that level of play. My 2nd choice would probably be Lombardi and Babcock.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad