The last few games you beat and rate them IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Frankie Spankie

Feb 22, 2009
Dorchester, MA
I tried Outlast and I don't know if it was a bug or what but I ran down a hall to escape someone and hid in a locker in the room at the end. When I left the room, the enemy wouldn't leave that hall. It was literally at a dead end. I was just stuck. I even tried AFKing in the locker for 5 minutes while I did something else, came back, and he was still just patrolling that hall but never to the end for me to sneak behind. I gave up pretty early on it.

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012
Outlast 6/10 - These first person survival horror games always start out strong and then peter out midway through the game once you get the loop. Hide from villain. Run down hallway. Find key. Repeat. and repeat. and repeat.

But the beginning had some good scares and I played it with a couple friends taking turns (which helped with some of the monotony of the game). Overall a fun time. Not sure I'll play the 2nd one though.
I wrote up 2 a while ago: The last few games you beat and rate them IV

The sentence "It's bad and I don't like it" from the first paragraph might be your best bet
I tried Outlast and I don't know if it was a bug or what but I ran down a hall to escape someone and hid in a locker in the room at the end. When I left the room, the enemy wouldn't leave that hall. It was literally at a dead end. I was just stuck. I even tried AFKing in the locker for 5 minutes while I did something else, came back, and he was still just patrolling that hall but never to the end for me to sneak behind. I gave up pretty early on it.
It's been a long time since I played the first one but I'm vaguely remembering this and I think you went around him somewhere. Still, it did start relatively strong and fizzle out (minus the story reveal which was absurd) so depending on how far into you were you weren't missing much.

Reactions: Spawn

Frankie Spankie

Feb 22, 2009
Dorchester, MA
That's good to hear. I just feel like most horror games are run from monster and hide in locker for 30 seconds before you're allowed to play again. I'd like to play a tense horror game but there's so few I enjoy. It's not really referred to as a horror series but the S.T.A.L.K.E.R. series did it best for me. The atmosphere was really scary, monsters were terrifying, corridors were dark. Danger lurked around every corner. It was the only time I've played a scary game where I would shut it off because I was getting too scared and then turn it back on a few minutes later because I wanted to play more.

Any other horror game I've played, I either don't care to shut it off because it's not scary enough (ie Resident Evil games) or I shut it off because I just don't have fun with it (ie Outlast.)

Frankie Spankie

Feb 22, 2009
Dorchester, MA
The Entropy Centre - 7.5/10

The Entropy Centre is a really enjoyable first person puzzle game similar to Portal. There are a lot of similar mechanics such as jump pads, light bridge, pressure plates, etc. The main difference is instead of your gun creating portals and you have to use your momentum, your gun will rewind time for objects so they can move across a room without you necessarily carrying them. The story was interesting and the gun talks to you in a much more wholesome way than GlaDOS would talk to you.

The one thing I would recommend to the devs for future games is to give people a sort of "hard mode" option. The game itself is relatively easy. The tricky things have massive hints by having squares painted on the floor so you already know where to place certain cubes. That's fine and all but it would be cool if there was a "hard mode" where these painted squares are disabled so you don't have any hints in solving the puzzles.

Regardless of that, the puzzles are still fun to solve. I enjoyed solving them all. This is a solid game if you're interested in first person puzzle games.

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012
That's good to hear. I just feel like most horror games are run from monster and hide in locker for 30 seconds before you're allowed to play again. I'd like to play a tense horror game but there's so few I enjoy. It's not really referred to as a horror series but the S.T.A.L.K.E.R. series did it best for me. The atmosphere was really scary, monsters were terrifying, corridors were dark. Danger lurked around every corner. It was the only time I've played a scary game where I would shut it off because I was getting too scared and then turn it back on a few minutes later because I wanted to play more.

Any other horror game I've played, I either don't care to shut it off because it's not scary enough (ie Resident Evil games) or I shut it off because I just don't have fun with it (ie Outlast.)
Amnesia: The Dark Descent remains the high point of the genre (the only horror games I've played are the Amnesias and Outlasts)

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012
1668693214051.png

Firewatch (PS4, 2016)

Firewatch is a walking simulator set in 1989 about a man named Henry who takes a job as a fire lookout in the Shoshone National Forest in Wyoming after his wife is diagnosed with early onset dementia. As things happen and time passes Henry's relationship with his wife, Jules, and his supervisor, Delilah, are explored, along with other things.

I've had two playthroughs of Firewatch and it's taken me a while to decide what I think about it. As walking simulators go it's pretty standard stuff. You walk around a fairly large area of national park with trees and canyons and rocks. You can technically explore it at will, although some areas aren't accessible until you've reached a certain point in the story. If you just follow the game as it intends however you still feel a natural sense of exploration. The park itself isn't really brimming with features for you interact without outside of the story objects, but it's pleasant and atmospheric enough to enjoy wandering about in for a few hours.

With that in mind, there are two points I need to raise as what I would consider bad design. At one point in the story, you will find a fence between you and the place you are trying to reach. You - player and character - quickly determine the fence is insurmountable. Delilah says that there were some firemen nearby recently and they might have an axe you can use to break in. I went to the place the firemen were, but I couldn't reach it. I hadn't pressed the action button enough at the fence to trigger the next part of the game. A similar thing happened later when you're directed to a certain area of the map through a coded message. I consulted the document in game with the answer and determined where I was supposed to go. Only when I got there I hadn't triggered the next part of the game because I hadn't triple checked the location in the first place, so I had to go all the way back to do that. I played through the game in one sitting over 3-4 hours and these incidents cost me at least half an hour combined. For a game which doesn't have that much to actually interact with, this is virtually unforgiveable.

Walking simulators almost always live or die based on how enjoyable it is to walk around. As much as I will always maintain that a good story and characters can absolve a game of almost all criticism, if you can't get the walking part of a walking sim right, what hope is there? Firewatch has a bold, chunky design style which I enjoyed a lot. It's first person and you don't interact with any other people so the art is very environment-centric. Reducing a national park location to bold rockfaces, trees and grass through a limited colour palette might sound boring, but it works. It has an almost childlike quality, as if someone has coloured everything in using the boldest colours possible. The grass is green, the rocks are grey, the sky is blue. It's great. The game takes place over various days and the colour combinations change through daytime, night time, sunset, and so on. Each of these is striking in their own way and now that I think about it, the night time sections are the most evocative. Here you feel most conscious of being out in nature at night, under the stars. You can almost feel the chill in the air. There isn't any wildlife to interact with, but the environment doesn't feel lifeless unless you're running around in places you shouldn't be in yet like I was. The soundtrack to this is suitably minimalist, but I honestly can't remember it well enough to say whether this is a positive or not. If it doesn't pull me out of the pleasant environment, I'm going to say it was probably fitting.

After I'd finished the game I was slightly let down. I knew that a lot of people who had played this had positive things to say about it. It took me a few days and another playthrough to realise what I'd been missing. There are effectively five characters in the game. Henry, Delilah, Henry's wife and two people who were in the park before Henry who you learn about. The game starts with a surprisingly affecting sequence with text on the screen telling the story of how Henry and Jules got married. You can make a few choices but the result always ends up the same. Even though you're just picking text options and you don't know who these people are there's a simple, effective sadness about what happens to the relationship. It's interspersed with brief parts where you control Henry as he arrives at the park, and sets up the start of the game nicely.

Beyond this, Henry and Delilah take up most of the dialogue. You can talk as much or as little as you want to Delilah when you're going around doing fire lookout stuff, and your relationship can go in different ways depending on the responses you pick. I think this is more limited than it lets on, but I'm not going to play the game ten times to find out. I think the game's pacing is partly what lets it down here. You start at Day 1 then there's Day 2 and then there are a few minutes of Days 15 and 30-something I think and while the brief conversations you have here are notable, there is a slight sense that the relationship development is being skipped. You still feel invested in the two of them, but it's always going to be hard to condense two and a half months into a few hours. I understand why, but it's a bit jarring when it first happens. When choosing the dialogue options the first time I picked how I thought I'd feel in that situation. It didn't always seem like the right option. That probably sounds about right.

Anyway, a few days after I'd finished I was thinking about the game and I realised something that had stopped me feeling properly invested in the characters. You don't see anyone. You see a photo of Henry and a few drawings, but that's it. Delilah is a voice on a radio. Jules is a half remembered voice in a dream. The two others from the park who I'm not going to spoil are only properly explored towards the end, and by the time this happens the reveal the game has been working to is nowhere near as mysterious or shocking as you think it's going to be. As a result the game can feel quite anti-climatic by the time you finish it. The lack of people to interact with can make the game feel empty. I think this affected me the first time around because I kept expecting to find something, but didn't.

Starting a second playthrough with all this in mind I changed a few dialogue options around. I thought more about the old park rangers who had been communicating through written letters in the cache boxes which you can find. I thought about Henry and Delilah's relationship and how on my first go I had tried to project a certain sense of character in my responses. Then on my second go as I noticed Delilah's answers were all the same I realised what the game is about. Mundanity. But in a positive way. I realised why I hadn't been able to properly understand what had been going on. It's a game about a forty year old guy in a largely empty forest in 1989. Admittedly I probably expected it to be about the breakdown of Henry's marriage through circumstances outwith his control, but it's not. But it is.

Firewatch is a game about escape. It's a game about escape from something - an event or an existence, but unlike most media on this subject it's not about the act of escape, it's what happens afterwards. It's not about the relationship between Henry and Jules breaking down then him leaving, it's about what happens after he left. The answer is a lot of nothing. Escaping your problems doesn't necessarily achieve anything when you take them with you. The game is more subtle than it first appears. It's almost as if it lulls you into a false sense of security with the nice surroundings and casually strolling around looking at them (there's a sprint button if you have to backtrack like I did). I ended up really feeling an affinity for Henry's situation. I, too, want to run away from all my problems and live in the forest with no internet for a few months. In a way it's a shame Firewatch is as brief as it is. I don't think the brevity of the actual gameplay properly reflects the character development or feeling of immersion in the world or the people. It's a game which leaves you with as many questions as it does answers, but the same probably goes for the characters in the world itself. Ultimately though, the escape will come to an end and you'll have to go back to face up to what you were running from.

Firewatch wasn't really what I expected. What I got didn't make feel good, or happy, or especially satisfied. If I'm to leave on any sort of final summation of my opinion, I think that was the point.

Reactions: Osprey

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
I just finished Cultic, the retro shooter that I described earlier in the week in the "currently playing" thread. It was a lot of fun. Since I last talked about it, I picked up a proper sniper rifle, and I love sniping my way through maps, so that was a hit with me. In fact, most regular enemies can be killed by headshots by most weapons (at least once their damage is upgraded), which I appreciated because it rewards good aim and makes the enemies less of bullet sponges. There were two boss levels that I wasn't really a fan of because the enemies respawn and saving isn't allowed in them, but I really enjoyed the 8 normal levels. It might be the most fun that I've had with a retro shooter since Ion Fury. It's a little on the short side (4-8 hours, depending on difficulty and play style; I recommend playing on a high difficulty and going slowly to make it last), but it's only $9.99 on Steam. It's marketed as "Chapter One," with "Chapter Two" coming later as DLC, but it plays like a full game or, at least, a Quake episode. I highly recommend it if you're into retro shooters and especially have fondness for the old 2.5D shooters like Blood and Outlaws.

BTW, if you're not a fan of the visual filters that wash out and dither the colors, you can turn them off. Doing so pretties the game up slightly and makes things a little clearer (all the better for my long-range head sniping).

Last edited:
Reactions: Andrei79

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
Yeah, I don't recall seeing a 99% rating before, either. I think that the very reasonable price has a lot to do with it. That helps to make it feel worth the money and a positive review even if it might be a tad short or other nitpicks could be made.

Last edited:

Frankie Spankie

Feb 22, 2009
Dorchester, MA
Soldier of Fortune 2: Double Helix - 6/10

I played the original Soldier of Fortune again last year and was disappointed with issues it had on modern machines. I still wanted to give Soldier of Fortune 2 a shot because other than playing multiplayer at a friend's house, I never really played the single player. While technically speaking, it's a smoother experience with better graphics (granted, it's still from 2002 so it's not very good looking by today's standards,) it lost a bit of its charm.

For one, what made the original so much fun was how cartoon-y the violence could feel. Most guns had enough power to blow a limb off. You could unload an entire magazine of a machine gun into a person and their body wouldn't drop until you stopped shooting. In this one, the violence definitely seems toned down. Most guns don't blow limbs off. That was kind of their gimmick and definitely toned it down. It just felt more like a standard shooter.

I also hated how you could only carry 2 guns at a time. I didn't really get to experiment with some of the guns because I didn't want to bother running around with really limited ammo for it. The shotguns felt great for close range and assault rifles felt great for longer range. If you don't have both, you end up feeling stuck in some sections. And since you feel like you need both, you don't end up picking the fun guns like the grenade launcher.

My main problem with the original is I often found issues with movement, most likely due to being on a modern machine. This one didn't really have that issue but holy shit, prone is the slowest thing ever. I genuinely couldn't tell at times if I was crawling into an invisible wall or if I was actually making progress, that's how slow you move. There's one section in one of the last levels where I legitimately spent 2-3 minutes crawling through a vent. There's absolutely no need to slow you down for that much time with no actual game play.

I remember loving the original Soldier of Fortune as a kid and if it worked better on modern machines, I probably would have loved it as an adult but it felt like a chore at times. This one seems like an uninspired sequel where they had to tone the game down because too many people complained about the first. They should have stayed with the formula that worked. At least the story was interesting enough.

Soedy

All Hail Cale
Nov 27, 2012
Hamburg, Germany
The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild - 9/10

This was the first 3D Zelda I finished. I finished several 2D ones but never got past the half of OoT and Twilight Princess.

This game really got me intrrested after leaving the first area. Once I finished the first titan, I was hooked. The badass music when the titan goes into position was awesome.

All in all, I like the gameplay, the next to no hint style for mysteries and puzzles and different solutions that are possible. Graphics were good for a switch release, the 30 fps felt relatively smooth.

Why not 10?
The horse controls, especially stopping when near a tree, were bad. Platforming felt a little bit weird at times. A few fps drops in some places.

I won't rate the breakable weapons. I though it was implemented well but I wasn't a fan of tje feature at all. But I know why they did it and they did it well, so I'll leave it at that. I also was kinda disappointed there was no endgame.

Definetly going to play some more and finish some shrines and sidequests.

Reactions: x Tame Impala

Frankie Spankie

Feb 22, 2009
Dorchester, MA
Stranglehold - 9/10

I ran into Stranglehold from a hidden gems list earlier this year and I picked it up on GOG. I have no idea how this game isn't more popular. It was originally released 15 years ago and it has aged gracefully. It has bullet time abilities like Max Payne but I think it does bullet time even better. You can dive and the game will automatically put bullet time on when you're aiming at someone. You can manually toggle it on and off but it really helps with the flow of the game to let the game toggle it on and off for you. You can also run on railings, wall jump, jump on serving trays and roll around the room while shooting. All of these have automatic bullet time. And if you really don't like the automatic feature, you can shut it off in the options.

The game is just clearly designed all around being creative. You can shoot out beams that will collapse ceilings onto enemies, slide down railings of stairs while shooting up everyone running towards you on the stairs, jump on service carts and just roll towards your enemy. It's like an over the top action movie put into a video game and it all works so perfectly. The combat arenas within each level is designed with thought of flow in mind. You can even jump and swing on chandeliers!

One thing it does great that Max Payne didn't do is there are abilities. You fill up your power meter by killing enemies in creative ways and you can then use that power meter for special abilities. They are: instant heal (nice with how hectic the game can be, only heals about a quarter of your health,) a snipe shot (slows down time and let's you precisely aim your handgun to take out a single enemy,) a barrage (unloads a ton of ammo while keeping your invincible and without using ammo,) and a spin attack (cinematic where you spin around, killing everyone in the area automatically.) Use whatever ability you want to feel like more of a badass!

The story is solid crime drama too. John Woo produced it and it feels like a movie while playing like a great game. Most games designed to be like a movie usually falls flat for me since they don't focus enough on gameplay but that is not the issue here! This game somehow fell under the radar and I'm glad I played it, even if it was 15 years after release. I highly recommend everyone gives this fun game a go. It's not even long. I started it yesterday afternoon. It probably only took 5-6 hours to complete but I loved every minute of it.

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012
1669404530271.png

Trackmania Turbo (PS4, 2016)

Does a perfect video game exist? Can it? Can a perfect anything exist in the absolute sense of the word? I've been thinking about that recently. I'm not well-versed in a wide enough range of genres but I have a vague theory that a perfect example of each video game genre exists. It's probably hard to decide on what is defined as 'perfect', and I'm sure you can get really particular about it. Can you call something perfect only if it's completely without fault? If not, is there a certain amount of faults you can accommodate before you stop being able to call it perfect? Is it going to be a law of diminishing returns if you tried to name one perfect game for each genre - if you were unable to find a game genuinely without fault but ended up having to settle for something purely to fulfil the exercise?

Trackmania Turbo is a racing game a bit different from most of the ones I've played over the years. It's a series I'm not familiar with, but conveniently it can be summed up easily. It's a time trial game. You have an assortment of tracks, a car to drive through them and target times to beat. In Turbo there are 200 tracks across four different environments and five different difficulty settings. There are other game modes and things like a custom track creator but my focus was the campaign.

Throughout those 200 tracks I had a fairly universal response to each new one. First run, how am I supposed to do this? Second run, no really how am I supposed to do this? Then I just go slowly enough to finish and start figuring out which turn or jump comes next. The longest tracks take about two minutes so it's a relatively quick turnaround. Then I improve a bit more and a bit more until I eventually reach the point where I know I'm able to finish the track under the target time, and set about trying to be consistent enough to manage that.

I'm a bit ahead of myself here. I think even as far as tracks in the 120-160 range I was able to manage a few golds on my first attempt. It's when you get to the properly hard stuff at the end you appreciate this game for what it is. Its faults are laid bare in the process, but they don't detract from the experience. Trackmania's courses are fast. They have turbo pads, they have jumps, they have loop the loops and vertical corkscrews you need to drift round. They have obstacles and different track surfaces with different handling properties (f*** sand) and a brightly coloured environment with some upbeat electronic music in the background. The gold times need a seemingly perfect amount of momentum carried between each curve and jump, and at higher difficulties you might have several of these chained together, or a really narrow gap you need to land in or jump through to make it extra tricky.

The shift from feeling like it's not possible to get round a track never mind get round it at speed is as regular as clockwork. The sense of satisfaction with each completed track is always the same. The difficulty level spikes a bit in the final forty tracks (#180 is the true endgame, the next 20 don't compare at all) but the feeling of achievement is never diminished. Sometimes there's more relief included than others. A video game with basic, consistent controls and physics is something I feel like I don't play a lot of these days. If you play a sandbox or an FPS then you might reach a point where you feel like you can do anything. The problem is, you don't actually know where the edges are. You can't appreciate pushing your control to the absolute limit because you don't know what it is, and outside of speedruns which don't count as normal gameplay you never properly feel completely in control of a game. Here, you can. You know what the car will do. You know what will happen when you press the buttons. You just need to manage that level of control. The constant chase to replicate or improve your best corner or jump is as addictive as it is exhilarating.

It's important to stress at this point that compared to some of the aliens whose videos I watched for reference, I'm nowhere near the limits of Trackmania Turbo and I'd be nowhere near any other game in the series. There is, feasibly, an absolute limit for track times in this game (which I suppose there is in any racing game) and the level of finesse and control some people can exert trying to reach this is remarkable and well beyond my brain or fingers. However, in my time with this game I could always feel myself getting better and closer to where I had to be to beat it. I wasn't always consistent on my runs even when I knew how or what to do, but the feeling of complete control over the car and complete understanding of the surfaces/elements was something which built every time and which felt amazing when they paid off. When it comes off, you just wonder how it took you so long to finish it.

You can't spend as long as I did with Turbo and not pick up on some faults. That's the best part of six months, on and off for something which was going to be the third rarest platinum trophy I've ever earned. The biggest faults are effectively quality of life complaints. Making the menus a bit less awkward. Not being able to turn off ghosts on courses you've completed. None of these things affect the driving though, and that's what matters.

I think the only perfect video games I've ever played are Tetris and Journey. If I sat with a list of everything I've ever played there are games I wouldn't change anything about, but which probably have too many memories or experiences associated with them for me for me to provide an objective assessment of them. Trackmania Turbo infuriated, thrilled and enriched me in equal amounts. I don't know if I've peaked in terms of video game achievement (there are one or two things I'd consider harder I'd like to try one day) but if I do top this, I don't know if I'd find the journey there as consistently satisfying. Ultimately Trackmania Turbo is simply as pure a video game experience as you could hope to find. I'm still very glad I'm finished with it though.

SimGrindcore

Mar 16, 2021
www.facebook.com
Fallout 76: 7/10

I just finished (almost, I'll explain later) the main quests and did The Pitt missions. I have to say that I hated the game at 1st because there are no pausing, no slow motion with VATS, weapon degradation, radiant daily quests/events and annoying players. I had just beaten Fallout 4 so there was a lot of adjusting to do.

The game finally grew on me. I started the game in March 2022, so the Wastelander update was part of the game so it felt more like a Fallout game (I wonder what it was like at launch tho). Since I discovered that I can reject daily quests and events, I could now sort the "to do" quest list and focus on the main and side quests. The only one I couldn't finish was the Brotherhood of Steel main quest because there's a known bug in the Disarming Discovery quest (if you kill Dagger with explosives, the key you have to retrieve on her body won't spawn).

The Mistress of Mystery quest was a lot of fun. Reminded me the Silver Shroud quest in FO4, There's also a connection between the 2 quests in the Fallout lore.

I finished the game at lvl 73 so some part were very hard for me since I play as a loner.

Last edited:

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
Pentiment - 9.5/10

Full disclosure that I’m a complete sucker for these types of narrative games, and the writing on this one was tremendous. How much (or how little) interacting and investigating to make your choices ultimately really did matter and the murder/mystery part of the game was really well done. There is no voice acting but the audio work is great. I quite liked the art style.

That’s three Obsidian games I’ve played this year that I love. Maybe they were Microsoft’s best acquisition.

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012
1669849043739.png

Bastion (PS4, 2015)

Bastion is a 2.5D button masher about a Kid who wakes up one day to discover the ground isn't the ground any more. He's on a bit of rock floating where the world used to be and there's an extremely deep, smooth voice narrating the things he's doing with a remarkable degree of prescience. After you get up and walk around eventually you reach the Bastion, before travelling into parts of the world looking for things to restore it, and find out what the Calamity is that caused the ground to disappear.

The story in Bastion is a bit nonsense to be honest and I realise as I'm trying to type it out that I really can't summarise it. Caelondia was a city which was at war with the Ura and through a few characters we meet along the way (and the game's narration) we discover the history of conflict between these two peoples. The only information you get is from the narration, so a lot of the time it's hard to think the game is something that's especially deep or fleshed-out, since you'd get a similar idea of the story if you were playing it with your eyes shut.

That isn't to say the world and the narration isn't engaging. The voice (which is from one of the NPCs) is always enjoyable to listen to and there's not really a way of describing the atmosphere he creates besides... cool. The game is relatively minimalist in terms of its gameplay, environments and music and the result is a neatly stylised experience which keeps you engaged throughout and strikes the right blend of giving and withholding detail. You're never overwhelmed with lots of information, because there isn't enough for that. There's always just enough to be getting on with and it's all so pleasant you just want to keep going.

The art style helps a lot with this. There's a slight hand-drawn feel to the ground and environments. Because the Calamity destroyed the world you have a vague, muddy background with the ground appearing in tiles as the Kid walks across it. As these appear it helps stop the game stop feeling small and constricted, creating the illusion of scale where there isn't any. It all just looks nice, and the movement of the environment is synchronised with the narration to add to it. Everything from the characters, objects, enemies and weapons all have a unique charm about them, so however you choose to play there's always something to catch your eye.

You collect different weapons as you progress through the levels. For the most part you'll have a melee weapon and a ranged weapon, and you can collect materials to upgrade these as you return to the Bastion hub world. By the time you upgrade whichever weapons you're using (or the mortar/flamethrower combo if you know what you're doing) you'll pretty much be unstoppable, but there are other decent options if you want to vary your experience. There's a basic levelling system too which gives the Kid upgrades, adding things like better damage or absorbing health from enemies. You can also add modifiers to the enemies which increases your XP and Fragment rates, allowing you to buy and use more upgrades. There's something for everyone in the weapons, and if you really really like the game there's a lot of replay value from trying different combos.

As I started writing this review I had to try quite hard to stop myself from calling the game a roguelike. It looks and plays like one (it's by the same team who would later make Hades, and it controls very similarly) and it's really the best way to describe the combat. There are lots of different enemy types which require different approaches to overcome. They all get introduced with a nice bit of backstory from the narration and it just adds a bit of character to the thing you're battering the square button at. The movement controls aren't very fluid (which makes sense, given it was released on mobile several years before PS4) so occasions where you face a lot of enemies can feel a bit overwhelming. The balance is usually fair enough for this to not be a problem though, unless you're playing with lots of modifiers. If you really want to test out the combat there are four arenas you can enter where you learn a bit of backstory for the game's four characters, facing waves of enemies. There isn't any gameplay benefit from this, but it's a good challenge.

Bastion is a pretty short game but it just works very well. The whole thing feels very tightly controlled from a creative and mechanical perspective. It's pretty short and the story/characterisation is very direct, but everything feels like just the right amount. I don't think there's anything about it I'd change. Maybe the effectiveness of the shield at countering attacks. That's about it. I enjoyed it and I'm glad I finally got around to playing it.

Frankie Spankie

Feb 22, 2009
Dorchester, MA
Nexomon - 9/10

Nexomon is a surprisingly great Pokemon clone. There was some decent humor in it but really it's what you may have remembered from the original Pokemon games with a colorful, well drawn aesthetic. I haven't followed Pokemon since the original 150 so to me, even though they're not Pokemon, it's the same thing as if I played a newer one since I don't recognize any other Pokemon anyway.

The combat is exactly what you'd expect. There's some nice quality of life changes. You can see which bushes contain monsters instead of randomly entering a battle in tall grass. Grinding doesn't feel like a chore since you can level up quickly. Some people may not like that but I always hated mindless grinding in games so it's a welcome change to me. There's a total of 310 Nexomon in the game and I was able to catch them all and complete the game 100% in about 33 hours.

It was very enjoyable, I was looking for something similar to the original Pokemon games and I got it. If you're looking for a Pokemon style game, grab this one.

The one thing that I saw people consistently complain about is that after you defeat a Nexomon, a trainer gets a free hit with their next Nexomon. This is kind of balanced by the fact that no matter what, you go first every turn. Basically if the other tamer has more Nexomon, you will both trade an attack every turn.

Frankie Spankie

Feb 22, 2009
Dorchester, MA
Cultic - 9/10

Cultic is a great retro shooter that you can play at your own pace. Rush in and slide or take it slow and snipe. It doesn't matter, every style is viable! The gun play is great, the setting is awesome, everything about this game is amazing! If you like retro shooters, you absolutely need to play this one.

SolidSnakeUS

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2009
Baldwinsville, NY
Cultic - 9/10

Cultic is a great retro shooter that you can play at your own pace. Rush in and slide or take it slow and snipe. It doesn't matter, every style is viable! The gun play is great, the setting is awesome, everything about this game is amazing! If you like retro shooters, you absolutely need to play this one.

I loved the demo, and even though I haven't played the full release (bought it), I might wait until the 2nd half of the game comes out before I start.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
Cultic - 9/10

If you want more, you might consider the original, Blood: Fresh Supply, which I'm almost finished with. Unfortunately, there are no sniper rifles, but there are flare guns that set enemies on fire and are a lot more fun than I imagined that they'd be. Also, I love how the cultists scream like Homer Simpson when you shoot them. :laugh:

I loved the demo, and even though I haven't played the full release (bought it), I might wait until the 2nd half of the game comes out before I start.
It might be a long wait. The single developer wrote in a post last month that he hasn't started on it yet--he's just supporting the current game with patches at the moment--so I imagine that it's a year away, maybe more. I'm still waiting for the expansion for Ion Fury, which came out 3 years ago, and that studio does have more than just one person.

Last edited:

Frankie Spankie

Feb 22, 2009
Dorchester, MA
Oh nice, I haven't even heard of Blood: Fresh Supply. I'll throw it on my wishlist. Maybe I'll grab during the holiday sale coming up.

I did just build a new PC with a 4090 and a 5800X3D though so I don't know how many retro games I want to play at the moment lol. I was just finishing Cultic up since I started it on my old PC. I would have finished it prior to getting the new PC up and running but my GPU died on me half way through Cultic. :(

And yeah, I'm also still waiting for the Ion Fury expansion. Ion Fury was another awesome retro shooter.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
Oh nice, I haven't even heard of Blood: Fresh Supply. I'll throw it on my wishlist. Maybe I'll grab during the holiday sale coming up.

I did just build a new PC with a 4090 and a 5800X3D though so I don't know how many retro games I want to play at the moment lol. I was just finishing Cultic up since I started it on my old PC. I would have finished it prior to getting the new PC up and running but my GPU died on me half way through Cultic. :(

And yeah, I'm also still waiting for the Ion Fury expansion. Ion Fury was another awesome retro shooter.
It's just the 1997 Blood in a modern engine and with both expansion packs. It's obviously not from the Cultic developer (if I gave that impression), but he was very heavily inspired by it. I didn't get far in Blood back in the 90s, so it feels very new to me, like I'm playing a retro shooter.

I envy your build. Since updating my system last year, I've kind of wasted it by playing mostly retro shooters and other games (like HexCells Infinite) that I could've run just fine on my old system. :laugh: I need to get to some newer games, myself. Well, I did recently play A Plague Tale: Innocence, but then it was right back to a retro shooter. They're like comfort food for me, I guess.

Last edited:

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012
1670796066597.png

Jak and Daxter: The Precursor Legacy (PS4, 2017 - originally PS2, 2001)

The last time I played the Jak & Daxter games I waited until I had finished all three before writing them up. I vaguely remember the result feeling condensed, not doing justice to the games or my thoughts on them. On reflection, after finishing the first one and writing this, I don't have a lot to say, but the game has such a special place in my heart I almost feel obligated.

Remember when 3D games were new and exciting? Remember when you only had one camera control scheme and it was completely contrary to what would become the de facto rotation angle twenty years later, making your favourite games of yesteryear a confusingly awkward revisit? Remember when open world games were relatively new, and the notion of seamless travel between levels rather than a hub-world or menu screen felt somehow huge and momentous? Remember when every new game you played seemed to have an anthropomorphic talking mascot? Step forward Jak and Daxter, a mute lad with yellow hair and his best friend who falls into a big pool of Dark Eco and gets turned into an Ottsel, basically a giant orange rat that's a cross between an otter and a weasel. You set out to find Gol and Maia, Sages of the Dark Eco, to turn him back.

I just love this game. Every part of it. The sounds, the characters, the music, the classic platforming and puzzle sections. The two buttons for attacks, the contextual coloured eco you pick up to move faster, attack harder or do ranged attacks. Part of me is surprised that twenty years later I can hear as many sounds and recall as many positive memories from this game as I can, but they're all there. I feel as if the PS4 version of this isn't as graphically slick as the PS3 version, but you'll probably be too busy fighting with the camera to notice. Actually it can be really quite annoying when you're trying to jump from ledge to ledge, or on a moving platform, and you don't move the camera where you think it's going to go, but it's so quick to recover from these you never resent it. Actually if you're trying to attack multiple enemies at once it's even more annoying because the hitboxes don't always end where you think and you only technically have four bits of health you can lose before you have to die and respawn, but you just need to stop being bad at games and start being good.

As one of the PS2's flagship franchises, I think Jak & Daxter always worked because of its characterisation. Daxter is a wacky sidekick who always has a smart response to something, but he's never annoying or childish. He's not mature or adult, he's just... reasonable. And a bit loud. And orange and furry. Considering I'm writing this at a time when the latest God of War timesink is stupefying people, it's worth remembering that engaging, likeable characters can be brief. They show up, their motives are explained, you're left to it. There's enough charm about the world that you just end up naturally liking everyone in it, and wanting to follow the story to resolve everything.

I'm not going to spend too long dwelling on details like the characters or story - as much as I like all of it, I'd always like to see more - but playing an action adventure platformer from the glory days of the PS2 just makes you feel like games like this don't exist now. Just something complete and self-contained. It's a game you can reasonably complete in about two days yet it doesn't feel short, or shallow. The combat is good and varied enough to keep you interested. The platforming works far better than it should given the camera. There are vehicle sections to break it up and add something different. You go through a range of environments and tasks which are brief enough to complete fully at once, but they come quickly enough that you never linger. I like being able to play a game where I feel as if I can see all of it and experience all of it, and the Precursor Legacy is certainly one of those. I get to comprehensively complete a game I love and relive a time when I was young and happy because I had nothing else to care about. Isn't that why we still play games?

Unholy Diver

Oct 13, 2002
in the midnight sea
Horizon Forbidden West - 8.5/10

Good followup to Horizon Zero Dawn, sees Aloy continuing her quest to save the world, with new tasks, machines, and human enemies to do battle with. I played thru the main questline and a fair bit of the side stuff, might complete a little more of the side stuff, or might let it sit til the DLC comes out

Forbidden West took most of what made Zero Dawn great and added more of it, if you enjoyed the original you will most likely do the same with the sequel

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad