Sep 17, 2009
Canada
Donkey_Kong_Country_SNES_cover.png

4/5

Soedy

All Hail Cale
Nov 27, 2012
Hamburg, Germany
Wife and kids were a few days away so I had a lot of time...

Fable: Anniversary - 8/10
I can really see why this game got so much love back in the day. All the mini games, attention to detail, which is nearly a standard nowadays is incredible. I liked the story, the characters, the colors, the atmosphere - it was just lovely made.
Technically it's solid. I am not criticizing the graphics because it is what it is - a game from 2004. Some frame pacing issues on the Anniversary version but overall smooth 60fps and 4k resolution.
Combat aged not very well. Very basic, sometimes clunky. Back in the day, I would have given it a 9/10.

Fable 2 - 8/10
Would be a 9/10 if not for the clunky and old menu, which was a huuuuge step back from Fable 1 (even though I don't know if they improved the menu for the Anniversary version) and the motion blur and 30fps, because it did not receive an FPS boost on the Series X, were prettxy rough in the beginning. The game is also loveable, ties nicely in the story line, the dog is a nice addition, combat feels much better. Didn't like the darker scenes, but that's just me. Characters were cool and different, again. Buying houses, getting rich seems really interesting - I might 100% this game, if they ever patch the Motion Blur and 30fps. Not a fan that you can't die then again you can't buy a lot of stuff as shops only have 1 or 2 per item and you need to sleep afterwards so they can re-stock, as opposed to Fable 1, where you just bought 50 potions in one go.

Fable 3 - 6/10
What happened? Feels rushed, not a fan of the industrial theme. Gameplay is solid but I had absolutely no intention to buy anything, getting married or anything. Story was a chore for me at the end, I was pretty happy when it was over. Was also super easy, did not die once (even got the achievement for it) and only used potions and slow time 3 or 4 times each.

---

Very happy to finally play these games, had definetly a blast. Really excited for the reboot now.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rodgerwilco

MakeTheGoalsLarger

Dec 9, 2011
Antarctica
I think GOW is a very good game personally. The interactions between the dad and his son are funny and realistic.When I beat a boss I'm rewarded with beautiful cut scenes. But judging by all the praise Elden Ring got it seems people enjoy games that show them the middle finger all the time. Man was I fooled by the hype on this one.

Soedy

All Hail Cale
Nov 27, 2012
Hamburg, Germany
Fable is getting a reboot? That sounds promising, I liked the first one on OG Xbox and didn't play the other ones cuz both were on 360 I believe

Yeah. It's officially called Fable IV I believe but they said it will be a reboot. Just read some news, that it comes along nicely in development.

Here's the announce trailer from 2020, sadly, no news, other they are working on it.

Reactions: Jovavic

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
Control: Ultimate Edition - 8/10

The main game was a lot of fun. When you boil it down, it's like every similar game. Skill tree, weapon upgrades, mods, unlock new abilities, but it worked well. The mind control stuff was a unique spin and I think the limited amount of it and ammo flowed together well. I also appreciated not having to scrounge around for ammo because the gun regenerates the ammo. The puzzles were mostly simple, but a nice break from the combat. I love opening shortcuts. Control's shortcuts weren't quite as satisfying as Bloodborne or Hollow Knight for me, but still something. The enemies were nothing special to look at, but there was 10 or so different types, some of which you had to handle differently. The DLC's added in guys with pick axes that were good adds. They chase you down constantly, can teleport behind you, will throw their axes as you.

I'm not sure if it is a negative or positive, but a lot of times you can avoid getting hit by just running around. They tell this to you on the hint screen when you die, so it's obviously intentional. On one hand, it's like really? There's 10 guys shooting at me and nobody can hit me? But on the other, it does kind of force your hand to get out there and make it more of an action game.

The story was a bunch of gobbledegook as far as I'm concerned. At first it was kind of neat and mysterious, but after a while it was like "just tell me where I need to go next". Collectibles were for the sake of having collectibles. Maybe I missed something, but there's no reward for doing the side missions other than XP or whatever it's called in this game. I pretty much just burned through the main story and didn't bother with them. The DLC's were OK, but the final boss on the AWE DLC was broken. At one point you have to stay in the light so you don't get attacked and to be able to recharge your mind control stuff. You need the mind control to turn the lights back on and to defeat the boss. Perfectly fine, but it was broken. I was standing directly in the middle of the light and all of a sudden started getting attacked. I realized that it was only registering on the edge of the light. Not great, but OK, now I know. Next time, it moved somewhere else! So not accurate or consistent. I was running around in tiny circles just to find where it was registering while trying not to die. I ended up getting so frustrated I just went with the full out assault and ending up killing it before the lights got turned off. Maybe that was their intent, but I don't think so.

Last edited:

Unholy Diver

Oct 13, 2002
in the midnight sea
Red Dead Redemption: Undead Nightmare 6.5/10

Would have been 7.5-8 if this hadn't been maybe the buggiest / glitchiest game I've ever played. I might not have finished it had it been longer. Crashed multiple times when saving, had glitch where enemies heads disappeared causing missions to hang up probably a half dozen times.

Game was decent otherwise, you play as John Marston like in the original RDR, during a zombie outbreak that you have to track down the origins of and solve the mystery and make things right again

MetalheadPenguinsFan

Sep 17, 2009
Canada
Won the Larry O'Brien Championship Trophy in NBA 2K22 in MyCareer just now.

I also finished the season as regular season MVP, Playoff MVP, and Rookie Of The Year.

7/10 I guess

Frankie Spankie

Feb 22, 2009
Dorchester, MA
Hell Pie - 8/10

Hell Pie is a surprisingly well done 3D platformer that feels like it took a time machine from the 90s. The platforming is solid. I never thought the camera angles were bad or the jumping mechanics got me killed, it always felt smooth and consistent throughout. There are unlockable skills to find in each world that will allow you to find more collectibles. There are a total of 4 hub worlds with 3 sub-levels within each to explore.

There's some dumb/obscene style comedy that you would actually expect from a game from the 90s. It almost felt like I took a time machine to replay a 3D platformer from my childhood. It was a thoroughly enjoyable experience filling a niche that is underrepresented on PC. If you're looking for a fun 3D platformer, give Hell Pie a chance!

Saitama

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 20, 2010
Winnipeg
Alien Isolation 10/10

I loved every moment of this game. The sounds, the music, the xenomorph is amazing. This game is easily one of my favorites ever.

Reactions: NinjaKick

Frankie Spankie

Feb 22, 2009
Dorchester, MA
Hitman 3 - 6/10

This is the weakest Hitman in the reboot trilogy. Might explain why it was an Epic Exclusive. The same gameplay is there. It's enjoyable stealthing around and finding safe areas to take out your targets. There are a total of 6 missions but the final mission is so linear that it's not even remotely close to what you expect from a Hitman game and can be completely relatively quickly.

That being said, the 5 missions feel a lot smaller in comparison to the previous two iterations. It just makes them feel a bit more stale without as many cool eliminations like the previous two versions. One of the missions doesn't even have a high profile target, it's just take out operatives as you find them and there's no big build up to kill any of them.

It's still an enjoyable game and the story is interesting enough, but it's a bit of a dud by Hitman standards. It feels kind of like Hitman Absolution. It's not bad but it's not that good. If you're a big fan of the Hitman series, it'll be worth your time. If you're new to the series, check out Hitman 1 & 2 from the reboots before this one. If you didn't really enjoy those, don't waste your time with this. If you did enjoy them and you want more, pick this up.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
Red Dead Redemption II - 6/10

Objectively it's a good game. It's just not for me.

This was my second crack at playing it. I was so utterly bored with it the first time I gave up on it probably less than 5hrs in, but someone convinced me it was worth pushing through. So I did and just did the main missions until it clicked. It took getting to like the half way point, but I eventually did start to enjoy it. Even started doing some of the side missions. What it does well, it does really well. The amount of detail is truly incredible and unlike anything I've seen in a video game before. The characters are also very well written and fleshed out. It does make you want to spend some time with them and see how their story plays out.

But what it does poorly makes it a chore to play. Everything is soooooo slow. The animations to skin an animal or that type of stuff is one thing. I get it, they want it to seem more realistic, have you slow down, and get immersed. Fine, but being forced to walk THAT slow in camp or in buildings made me want to stab myself with a spoon. Want to pick up that apple on the table? Better make sure you make the right approach or else you'll have to circle back so that you're a few more inches to the left because...ya know...realism. The gunplay just sucks. I don't know how else to put it. On top of all that, open world/sandbox games aren't my cup of tea to begin with.

As far as the story, like I said it took probably half way to get invested. Then you get thrown into a new area for some reason. Maybe it ties into the first game or something, but I didn't get it. Seemed unnecessary and other than a few conversations as your riding to the next mission, it never gets brought up again. I enjoyed finishing out the story and thought it was pretty good, except they didn't tie it all up and instead go into the epilogue. The epilogue was painful. Literally a chore simulator. They do tie up some of the loose ends, but I think it would have been much better and more impactful to do it in the main story. The only parts of the epilogue I enjoyed was the montage where you build a house and the Willie Nelson cinematic. The rest of it was a drag and reminded me of TLOU Part 2 where they tack on more unnecessary story just to get a few more hours of gameplay.

Although I did eventually get some enjoyment out of it, I'd only recommend it if you like sandbox type games. If you like combat or want a good narrative, then it's not worth it. The story is good, it just takes too much time and effort for what you get out of it IMO.

Mikeaveli

Sep 25, 2013
Edmonton, AB
Persona 4 Golden (PC): 9.5/10

This is one of those games that leaves you wondering what you are going to do with your life now that it's over. Unfortunately I had the plot spoiled for me a long time ago but I still thoroughly enjoyed all 80+ hours of it. The PC port is also decent enough (arbitrary framerate support is nice). The only thing preventing me from giving this game a 10 is that Persona 5 exists and improved on almost everything this game did. I'll be playing through the game on NG+ to get all achievements before Persona 5 Royal releases in October.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jovavic

Jovavic

Gaslight Object Project
Oct 13, 2002
New Born Citizen Erased

This is one of those games that leaves you wonder what you are going to do with your life now that it's over. Unfortunately I had the plot spoiled for me a long time ago but I still thoroughly enjoyed all 80+ hours of it. The PC port is also decent enough (arbitrary framerate support is nice). The only thing preventing me from giving this game a 10 is that Persona 5 exists and improved on almost everything this game did. I'll be playing through the game on NG+ to get all achievements before Persona 5 Royal releases in October.

5 had the social links and all that down but both 3 and 4 have better stories and characters from what i remember, imo.

I just got a PS3 again so maybe I should fire up my digital copies of those two replay, it's been awhile since I played either lol

Reactions: Mikeaveli

Mikeaveli

Sep 25, 2013
Edmonton, AB
5 had the social links and all that down but both 3 and 4 have better stories and characters from what i remember, imo.

I just got a PS3 again so maybe I should fire up my digital copies of those two replay, it's been awhile since I played either lol
It's been a while since I played 5 (never finished Royal either) so I'll have to reevaluate when the game is rereleased. I do think I like the group dynamic more in 4 than 5 though. I played 3 (FES) a very long time ago but didn't complete it, I know there are some mods for the game to enable widescreen and such so I may give that another shot before Royal is out.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015

This is one of those games that leaves you wondering what you are going to do with your life now that it's over. Unfortunately I had the plot spoiled for me a long time ago but I still thoroughly enjoyed all 80+ hours of it. The PC port is also decent enough (arbitrary framerate support is nice). The only thing preventing me from giving this game a 10 is that Persona 5 exists and improved on almost everything this game did. I'll be playing through the game on NG+ to get all achievements before Persona 5 Royal releases in October.
I never got around to this one. Looking forward to playing it when it comes to Switch.

Reactions: Mikeaveli

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013

This was my second crack at playing it. I was so utterly bored with it the first time I gave up on it probably less than 5hrs in, but someone convinced me it was worth pushing through. So I did and just did the main missions until it clicked. It took getting to like the half way point, but I eventually did start to enjoy it. Even started doing some of the side missions. What it does well, it does really well. The amount of detail is truly incredible and unlike anything I've seen in a video game before. The characters are also very well written and fleshed out. It does make you want to spend some time with them and see how their story plays out.

But what it does poorly makes it a chore to play. Everything is soooooo slow. The animations to skin an animal or that type of stuff is one thing. I get it, they want it to seem more realistic, have you slow down, and get immersed. Fine, but being forced to walk THAT slow in camp or in buildings made me want to stab myself with a spoon. Want to pick up that apple on the table? Better make sure you make the right approach or else you'll have to circle back so that you're a few more inches to the left because...ya know...realism. The gunplay just sucks. I don't know how else to put it. On top of all that, open world/sandbox games aren't my cup of tea to begin with.

As far as the story, like I said it took probably half way to get invested. Then you get thrown into a new area for some reason. Maybe it ties into the first game or something, but I didn't get it. Seemed unnecessary and other than a few conversations as your riding to the next mission, it never gets brought up again. I enjoyed finishing out the story and thought it was pretty good, except they didn't tie it all up and instead go into the epilogue. The epilogue was painful. Literally a chore simulator. They do tie up some of the loose ends, but I think it would have been much better and more impactful to do it in the main story. The only parts of the epilogue I enjoyed was the montage where you build a house and the Willie Nelson cinematic. The rest of it was a drag and reminded me of TLOU Part 2 where they tack on more unnecessary story just to get a few more hours of gameplay.

Although I did eventually get some enjoyment out of it, I'd only recommend it if you like sandbox type games. If you like combat or want a good narrative, then it's not worth it. The story is good, it just takes too much time and effort for what you get out of it IMO.

These are, point for point, exactly my thoughts on RDR2. I gave it a 8/10, because clearly effort was put into it and I tried to stay objective, but I feel your 6/10 score reflects perfectly how "fun" it ended up being for me. I wish I stopped playing early in the game. I didnt finish the epilogue though, I could only take so much.

Reactions: pistolpete11

Soedy

All Hail Cale
Nov 27, 2012
Hamburg, Germany

Regarding the epilogue, it's a build up to RDR 1. As someone who absolutely loves both games, especially the first, the epilogue was pure joy as it shows a lot of backstory.

Reactions: pistolpete11

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
These are, point for point, exactly my thoughts on RDR2. I gave it a 8/10, because clearly effort was put into it and I tried to stay objective, but I feel your 6/10 score reflects perfectly how "fun" it ended up being for me. I wish I stopped playing early in the game. I didnt finish the epilogue though, I could only take so much.
For sure. Objectively it's better than 6/10. I just didn't enjoy playing it that much.

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
Cult of the Lamb - 8.5/10.

Very enjoyable game. It's short (around 10-12 hours), but it's perfect that way. I'm a fan of this sort of hand-drawn art-style.

There are really two parts of the game, but that are interconnected. There's the roguelite element, where you finish 4 different levels with bosses in the end. Along the way, you find ressources and followers that you use to build up your town, which in turn is used to level up your character. The combat is enjoyable, but there isn't much depth. The town building is much of the same, but somehow, even with the simplicty, they make it all work in a coherent package. It's an easy recommend as far as I'm concerned.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad