The last few games you beat and rate them 5

SimGrindcore

Mar 16, 2021
www.facebook.com
Metro : Last Light - 7/10

From a 1000ft view, this game was identical to Metro 2033. So you could copy and past my review of that into here :laugh:.

The only things that really stood out to be different for me,

1) seemed to have more levels that required stealth

2) there were a couple of times I had to replay previous levels because I was running out of filters and/or ammo. I think I might have done that once in 2033?

3) Towards the very end, there's a section where you are taking on a lot of fire and you have to shoot something that glows red. The glowing wasn't very obvious, you're taking on too much fire to stand there looking around, and it's the first time that something like that is required in the game and it's at the very end. Kind of strange and frustrating.
Couldn't manage to finish it. Was stuck in a outdoor level without filter and had caught the Metro fatigue playing last light right after 2033.

Reactions: Summer Rose

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
Didn’t see a thread for the game so I’ll post it here. I have NOT played the new suicide squad game but saw the IGN vid about how they killed Batman in it. What a disgrace. Kevin Conroy’s last voice work for the game character as well.

1) Why did they set this abomination in the Arkham Universe? Naturally it’s live service game with micro transactions as well.

2) What’s with this generation’s desire to mutilate beloved characters of old? I truly don’t get it. “It’s our turn now”. No creativity or talent, just tearing things down that people used to be strongly fond of.

Reactions: Summer Rose

Frankie Spankie

Feb 22, 2009
Dorchester, MA
I could have told you it was going to be ass because AAA gaming in general sucks now and has for a years. I see one AAA game that I get hyped for like every 5 years now. I miss the old gaming scene...

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
Baldur's Gate 3 - 10/10
This is genuinely one of the best games ever made and it will hopefully revolutionize the RPG genre and the gaming industry as a whole. There's no "right" choice as you play through the game and you can tell there are so many different branching paths that decisions actually matter. All the characters are so deep and every quest for them feels impactful for the story. I loved weighing my options to do what was best for each character within each moment. If I was on a side quest for one specific character, I would do what they wanted, even if the others didn't approve, because I was there for that character. As a result, I got some really cool cutscenes, made characters even stronger to help my run, and got some interesting scenarios as results to the decisions I made.

The overall arching story is great too. You get the sense that everything is intertwined, something that just isn't present in 99% of the games out there. Every decision you make truly feels like it makes the game a unique experience for you. The way I played through the game could be vastly different from the way you played through it and we saw different stories unfold as a result. At the same time, it all feels all organic that you never feel forced down a set path. Most games with choices often feel like you get the illusion of choice that just leads to the same result but not Baldur's Gate 3. You can accomplish goals on your terms and if you're smart and experienced enough, you can find some very unique methods to solve problems that could make something that appears practically impossible a simple task.

The combat is great. I personally love this style of combat. For those coming from the Divinity: Original Sin series, the combat is fairly different. It goes by DnD rules (which I personally didn't know anything about.) Instead of action points like in Divinity, each character can perform an action, a bonus action, and move a set distance. Personally, I prefer the Divinity style of action points but that's just a matter of preference. It did take some getting used to and early on, I almost felt like I had to relearn the genre since I was so used to action points, but a lot of the core mechanics are similar. Once I started getting used to movement and actions being separate, I picked it up fairly quickly.

The game has been receiving an insane amount of praise and it is 100% deserved. This is what the new standard for RPGs should be. Developers/publishers are saying it's not possible but Larian has proven it is. We'll see how the industry reacts but in the meantime, you need to play this master piece. One thing is for sure, Larian is probably the best game dev out there at the moment. You can tell they truly care for their fans and it shows in the product. I'm glad to see they have found amazing success in this project and I'm excited to see what they have next on the horizon!

I'm almost finished. Been on act 3 for weeks now due to how big the game is (I'm at over 100 hours) and because of real life obligations. However, Im looking forward to reviewing it too. It's an incredible experience. Every single dialogue is fleshed out and interested. It's one of the first games where I don't skip dialogue.

Reactions: Frankie Spankie

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Cyberpunk 2077 in its version 2.11 state: 8.75/10

Cyberpunk 2077: Phantom Liberty DLC: 9/10

Gonna be a long one cause I have lots of thoughts. TLDR: the base game after all the principal updates have been released is as close to excellence as this game was capable of. The Phantom Liberty is not flawless but it's Cyberpunk 2077 at its very best and it gives me hope that the game's sequel can be outstanding.

So technically I haven't done a full playthrough of the base game in its current state. I'm drawing the comparison between my first run through where I stopped just before the ending, playing on PS4 and playing the game in its current state on a high tier gaming laptop (can run mostly ultra settings) . But considering the game is largely the same story wise, I'm just comparing the difference between features and performance instead of overall experience.

Base game: it'd be a lie to say that in CP2077's last set of updates stage that it finally delivered on every promise the early e3 gameplay demos made. But I think it's as close as you could realistically hope for in this current iteration. There will surely be no updates that add deeper branching story consequences based on every character dialogue choice made throughout the play time but you can do worse than 7 endings dependent on player choice, just not as innovative as they made it seem. Combat, while a lot of fun, is not quite as dynamic and innovative as they made it seem.

I'll get the bad out of the way first. First, nothing is going to cure that the core premise is that your main character is doomed to die within weeks to a few months from the end of the first act. It's a narrative choice they stuck with out of necessity but it's one of those things you get in some RPGs like "I have to save the princess but I'll forget about that while I f*** around in the overworld for hours upon hours." CP2077 offers a massive amount of side missions and combat scenarios that if you were to play to completion would make the ticking clock scenario very questionable. The game gives you reminders that you're dying but if you try to experience everything the game offers you'll have plenty of moments to think "wait, I'm still dying right?" I just feel like the story or CP2077 is hamstrung by its own premise in certain respects. It adds stakes to everything but at the cost of open possibilities.

Second sort of bleeds into the first but while non linear missions lend to great freedom for the player, there are some missions that I feel should be locked into doing sooner rather than later. As an example, the first act is an extended tutorial where a character who the protagonist is close to dies. Their funeral is an optional mission. I'm fifty hours into my second playthrough and, realistically, the actual time lapsed would be about a month or more. In that time, the deceased character's mom is still waiting me to roll up to a location so the funeral can start. A bit immersion breaking. Even having the mission fail if I take too long to show up would have been preferable.

Third, as much improvement as they've made to slice of life content to make Night City feel more alive, I do wish there were more isolated events with NPCs to make the world feel a bit more alive. As an example, in the earlier parts of the game there's a conspiracy theorist NPC rambling on about capitalism and corporate control that you can have a conversation with that you can easily miss if you don't walk up to them. But if you do, it's a pretty entertaining conversation. Outside of that instance I haven't found content like that that wasn't tied to a mission of some sort. I think programming in some random events would give the NPCs occupying Night City a little more life even if most of them are on a basic track. And within that, I just wish there were a bit more to do than street races, boxing matches, and...well...sex worker cutscenes in lieu of combat/story content. Like braindances are supposed to be immersive entertainment experiences like watching TV in GTA5 but the only times you get to use any are for story specific investigative work. Wouldn't hurt to have had 5-6 braindances you can access just for entertainment's sake.

Fourth may be expecting too much but there's four tiers of side quest content, in descending order of actual content: Side Missions, Gigs, Cyberpsycho Takedowns, and NCPD alerts. Side missions are like full fledged quests with cutscenes that are just unrelated to the main story (usually) and they're often very good. Gigs tend to have some story background but the gameplay itself usually just involves fighting your way through a building to get to an extraction objective. Cyberpsycho encounters are like mini boss fights with a sprinkle of backstory through a preliminary and post fight text message, and NCPD alerts are just static combat instances where you fight 8 or so NPC enemies and get some money and a short lore note with no context. I wish there were more side missions to add to the world building than the other types of side content that just give an excuse to fight. Night City has been fleshed out more with the string of updates but a lot of the time it can still feel empty. Granted I have the same complaint about GTA5 and RDR2, that after you've consumed enough side content, the open world is just ornamental so maybe I'm still hoping an open world can open up more interactivity when the tech gets there.

Fifth is more of a want for the in development sequel, but I do hope that there can be more side missions with actual independent story threads (e.g. more than one mission). Here there's a small set of side missions with more than one part aside from the side missions involving the main character's four potential love interests. And that bleeds into the sixth gripe I have. Romance. And this is almost not a gripe because most games don't do romance well. CP2077 does it better than most at least with the romances I've tried where there's a set of missions to start a romance but once V gets into the romance with their chosen partner and the relationship starts, it's like it stops dead. The missions are very good but once the line is over, then the relationship itself mostly just becomes cute text messages from your partner to remind you of the relationship and you have a moment with them as you enter the consequential endgame. The 2.1 update did make an attempt to address this by giving you the option to hang out with your partner at an apartment you own but it's pretty half baked. You can cuddle up on the couch and have a short, new, conversation with them. Take a shower together. And go to sleep together (I worded it that way very deliberately) then you wake up and they're just lying in your bed with no dialogue options. I think if CDPR is going to go to all the effort to write the development of very believable feeling romantic relationships, the sequel should either not do that to begin with or give the option to flesh out that relationship and the world around it with real dates and more dialgoues. Some people might skip this entirely, but I think it would be a big boost to the immersive experience.

Seventh is a small gripe but I don't like that there's no third person cutscenes at all and you can only see your character when "turning on" a mirror or riding a motorcycle. Don't get me wrong. I think making the majority of the game first person is a decent enough immersive gameplay choice as it focuses on making you the protagonist and making you experience everything the protagonist does in the first person. But the game has so many options to visually customize your character and they're bottlenecked by either interacting with the few working mirrors available in Night City or by riding a motorcycle. I want to see my character and what they're wearing from time to time. So either, there should be an option to play in third person or there should be the occasional cutscenes in third person.

Despite all that, CP2077 in its current state is an outstanding game that really sets itself apart with a gorgeously crafted and unique open world backed by a really fresh and believable narrative universe, punctuated by great storytelling with cutscene work you'd expect from CDPR. The combat is in the best state it's ever been after the overhaul of the perk system and coming from The Witcher 3 as my all time favorite video game I can say that the combat is more fun while the storytelling is right up to par. The difference is that the flaws I mentioned above weigh a lot heavier considering the years these two games came out and how long CP2077 was in development. I also really enjoy that the story tackles a number of themes and handles most of them with nuance and weight that you don't expect from most video games while still having room for levity without being an overburdened quipfest. The above complaints keep it from perfection, but I think the base game is an excellent title in its own right and while CDPR should remain ashamed of the game that released, they should be proud of what it became after the repairs. I'm hoping the sequel will only innovate on some true strengths and improve on lingering weaknesses.

Phantom Liberty:

I should start by saying the DLC gets to excel the way it does because, from a programming perspective, the new Night City district of Dogtown is not very big and the DLC has you returning to the base game map on more than one occasion. Where the overworld addition is limited, the DLC soars in almost every other respect. The story, as sandwiched into act 2 of the main story (still an independent experience but a story that has to be played before the endgame of the base game to function) as a futurist spy thriller is just outstanding. The premise itself isn't overly complex, but the characters and implications are layered and nuanced with player choice being truly gray and at times, brutal.

While some have a fondness for Keanu Reeves' character in the base game, I don't as I've always felt Reeves' line delivery is best described as trying but failing not to be wooden. He's better here, but bringing in Idris Elba for mocap and voice work was a masterstroke for the only DLC this game is getting. His performance is outstanding. Past that, while Dogtown is small, it's fun to rip through it fighting hordes of ex-soldiers. The gigs offered as expansion content are mislabeled as almost all of them operate like side missions from the base game with fleshed out stories. And a number of the combat scenarios eclipse anything the base game has to offer. I said it already but this DLC is Cyberpunk 2077 at its very best and a very good sign that the game's sequel can be strong. As an added bonus, there's four possible endings to the DLC story emerging from two possible branches that come from a major player choice and one of the offers a bonus ending to the main game that players can opt in to, and it is completely not what you'd expect if you just knew what the ending is on a surface level. In short, it's emotionally brutal. Also while I somewhat knock Dogtown for being small, the design of the open world is so well done at being thematically in line with what Dogtown is narratively supposed to be.

I only knock it off a single point because of a few smaller gripes in comparison to the base game:

1. This is the smallest gripe but the DLC content can easily be used as an exploit for fast level ups, amassing a huge amount of money, and getting discounts for the many purchasable vehicles in the game if you know how to utilize the exploits. While some might feel that's a QOL feature for players who already beat the main game, I feel such exploits are a cheap way to earn things easier than originally intended.

2. The open world lack of interactivity is even more glaring in such a small addition to said open world. Dogtown mostly amounts to a collection of NPC battles (better NPCs than most in the main game so the map can be a fun excuse to play around with your build and combat approach) and locales for new side quests.

3. The DLC hasn't been out for half a year so I won't spoil too much but there's two core characters you can ultimately choose between to "side with" and that choice will open up two narrative paths with very different gameplay combat. One of the two characters is a walking guilt trip/emotional manipulation device before you do or don't side with them and after if you decide not to. Without giving away too much, the character is written as being self centered and manipulative and their backstory is a resounding strength of the story but it's like the game is actively trying to set you up to feel like you're a callous asshole if you don't side with them even when there's very rational reasons not to. The best way I can describe it is when a show/movie/book starts leaning heavily on a character's best traits and emotional connection to other characters just before killing them off. Not the same scenario but more or less the same effect. It's not a huge black mark on the story but when I can feel the presence of a writer in the writer's room trying to come up with a deliberate choice to evoke an intended reaction from the audience I find it immersion breaking, cheap, and distracting. And Phantom Liberty does suffer from that issue unfortunately.

4. Speaking of the two narrative paths, on top of offering unique gameplay finales, one of the two main story paths offers a huge wealth of backstory for one of the two principal characters that adds a lot of context and totally recontexualizes them and their experiences that shape their choices and situation and it's presented in a really strong way. The problem is, I just said that *one* of the two paths offers this important backstory. The other one does not. At all. And it's not like they add more backstory to the other main character as a sort of inverse for a different choice. You just do the mission, learn some things about what it all meant and the DLC story ends but you lack a lot of the context and backdrop the other path offers. Someone who only decides to do the more narratively barren path and feels no desire to load a save and try the other path might never get the full scope of the story. And I think that's a negative. The lesser developed path should have found a different way to present the same information.

5. As an ironic turn, the path with the lack of extra story has the more fun finale gameplay wise. While the path with the better storytelling has a truly disappointing gameplay experience. Without spoiling too much, it's like a pseudo horror sequence where the player has to complete some basic objectives while being hunted by an unkillable enemy. It's unsettling and dread inducing for like the first four-five minutes but after a few failures due to being caught, it just makes trying to beat the damn level tedious and aggravating. The respective endings are fantastic because of their strengths but fail to be GOAT tier because of their deficiencies. It's a shame that both paths didn't strive for a better blend of story and gameplay and while the deficiencies aren't fatal, it does make both story paths imperfect.

Either way, in spite of those flaws, I think the Phantom Liberty DLC deserves to be played by anyone who owns Cyberpunk already, and hell even those who never felt like giving it a try. No game is truly perfect and this DLC has more strengths in its presentation than most AAA titles even attempt these days. It's flawed, but those flaws only keep the experience from gaming perfection or masterpiece quality rather than an experience in wasted potential. The DLC's strengths, in contrast, are monumental and worthy of praise. I can only hope the eventual CP2077 sequel builds on those strengths.

Edit: since people are actually reading this I'd add an additional thought on the DLC. If you go into the game fresh with the DLC purchased, you can and should play the game in the second act and before you're nearing the endgame. But I'd bet anyone who does will feel like they're playing a game within a game. Best compliment I can give it. It feels like a heightened experience where the base game was already strong after all the updates. My complaints about it really didn't detract from how many things the expansion did really well.

Last edited:

Frankie Spankie

Feb 22, 2009
Dorchester, MA
Resident Evil 5 - 6/10

I'm going to preface this by saying this is a bad Resident Evil game. If I was playing this on single player, I probably would have stopped and uninstalled it very early. However, it's pretty fun in co-op. It pretty much just plays as a co-op action game rather than a horror game. The bosses pretty much all sucked but the general game play with standard enemies and traversing through each setting was enjoyable enough in co-op.

You can tell it was one of those typical PS3 generation games where everything is so brown, inventory system is dumbed down, focus on co-op, etc. The controls certainly didn't age very well either. You can't move while aiming and the sensitivity is really wonky. Either turning is incredibly slow or your aim sensitivity will be way too high. Take your pick! Also the QTE commands are insane. They're on the screen for less than half a second and I got F + V for some QTEs. What kind of button combination is that? Why is it only there for less than half a second? You're guaranteed to get hit every time.

If you have a friend to play through this in co-op, I'd recommend it on sale. If you're playing single player, I would avoid this entirely. It's just not a good Resident Evil game.

Frankie Spankie

Feb 22, 2009
Dorchester, MA
Sprawl - 8/10
This is a solid boomer shooter with some great speed and world traversal. You can wall run, slide, etc as you race around arenas to fight enemies. The gun play is solid enough for a boomer shooter but the running is what really hooks you in. The gameplay loops is pretty solid. It's also pretty short and doesn't overstay its welcome. Almost every level introduces a new enemy and weapon as well to keep things fresh. There's also a slow mode button so you can pop heads!

The only downside of the game is the AI is pretty bad. They just always run straight at you. Some can jump with jet packs to different platforms where they'll shoot you from. There are also some sections where enemies won't trigger until you shoot at them specifically. Shooting at one won't turn the whole room around which is a bit strange. The odd part of the pathing though is around certain ramps. Sometimes instead of jumping down at you, they'll have to run to the top of the ramp and then down the ramp towards you.

Fortunately the dumb AI can lead to some fun. You can manipulate it since you know how everyone will react and try to lead them down a chokepoint where you can blow them all up with a rocket launcher. Sprawl is short and sweet. If you like high speed boomer shooters and want something with a little more freedom in movement, you should give it a go!

SimGrindcore

Mar 16, 2021
www.facebook.com
Sprawl - 8/10
This is a solid boomer shooter with some great speed and world traversal. You can wall run, slide, etc as you race around arenas to fight enemies. The gun play is solid enough for a boomer shooter but the running is what really hooks you in. The gameplay loops is pretty solid. It's also pretty short and doesn't overstay its welcome. Almost every level introduces a new enemy and weapon as well to keep things fresh. There's also a slow mode button so you can pop heads!

The only downside of the game is the AI is pretty bad. They just always run straight at you. Some can jump with jet packs to different platforms where they'll shoot you from. There are also some sections where enemies won't trigger until you shoot at them specifically. Shooting at one won't turn the whole room around which is a bit strange. The odd part of the pathing though is around certain ramps. Sometimes instead of jumping down at you, they'll have to run to the top of the ramp and then down the ramp towards you.

Fortunately the dumb AI can lead to some fun. You can manipulate it since you know how everyone will react and try to lead them down a chokepoint where you can blow them all up with a rocket launcher. Sprawl is short and sweet. If you like high speed boomer shooters and want something with a little more freedom in movement, you should give it a go!
I'm always surprised about the sheer volume of games you play and rate here! :D

whitez

Jul 8, 2023
I play chess online on different sites. For me it's more than game. Playing exclusively chess isn’t gonna make you smarter, but certainly engaging the problem solving part of your brain is likely beneficial for mental health. Sometimes I use chess calculator that helps me to develop my chess game and most important with its help I learn how to mroe my gaming skills.

Last edited:

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
If you notice, most of his reviews note how short the games are. :D When they take only 4-12 hours, they can be cranked out pretty quickly. He did finish Baldur's Gate 3 recently, though, so he does play the occasional epic game, but he seems to really enjoy shorter games. I'm the same way and play a lot of the same ones as him, since our tastes align. I just don't feel motivated to review them afterwards, but I appreciate that he is because I've learned about a lot of games that are up my alley.

Reactions: Frankie Spankie

Frankie Spankie

Feb 22, 2009
Dorchester, MA
Heh, it helps to play quicker games and never replaying anything. It took me like a month and a half to beat Baldur's Gate 3 while I started during the holidays and had plenty of time off. Now I want to focus on some shorter games to chip away at my backlog. Sprawl only took me about 4.5 hours. I was playing RE5 with a friend of mine so it was easy to sit there for 2-3 hour sessions at a time and talk/joke while playing the game. If I wasn't playing with him, I doubt I would have finished it even close to as quickly as I did, if I finished it at all.

If you notice, most of his reviews note how short the games are. :D When they take only 4-12 hours, they can be cranked out pretty quickly. He did finish Baldur's Gate 3 recently, though, so he does play the occasional epic game, but he seems to really enjoy shorter games. I'm the same way and play a lot of the same ones as him, since our tastes align. I just don't feel motivated to review them afterwards, but I appreciate that he is because I've learned about a lot of games that are up my alley.
I remember a friend of mine told me "I use Steam reviews all the time and I never leave any." I thought the same. After that conversation, I've made it a point to try to write a review for every one on Steam and just end up copy/pasting it for here.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
Now I want to focus on some shorter games to chip away at my backlog.
That's a motivation for me, as well. I find it a lot easier to start a game that I know will be short and I'll be able to quickly check off of my backlog than a game that I know will take a long time. Even though I've been a fan of Baldur's Gate for 25 years, I still haven't played the newest one because of the massive time commitment.
I remember a friend of mine told me "I use Steam reviews all the time and I never leave any." I thought the same. After that conversation, I've made it a point to try to write a review for every one on Steam and just end up copy/pasting it for here.
I've noticed that and it's given me deja vu several times. I'll be reading a Steam review that's eerily similar to one that I just read here and then I'll look at the username and realize that it's you. :laugh:

Last edited:

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
Nier: Automata - 9/10

It's really hard to summarize how I feel about this game. There are so many small details that just keep adding up until the sum is greater than the parts.

The story takes place in 11945. Aliens came to Earth and unleashed machines to fight the humans. You play as human created androids to fight back while the humans fled to the moon. It starts off as your typical "Are these machines alive?" type of thing. Some machines disconnect from the network and become pacifists, talk about love, fear, joy, sadness, start religions, etc. Your characters talk about whether they should feel anything for slaughtering them or if the machines are just imitating humans, which is obviously ironic because they are androids themselves.

The game is absolutely filled with philosophy and references to real philosophers. You play as 2B for crying out loud :laugh:. But most of the NPC's and bosses are named after philosophers that represent those ideas. I don't want to spoil any specifics, but as an example, the shop keeper at the android base on Earth has a damaged leg. When you ask him why he doesn't repair it, he says because he's replaced everything else in his body and he would no longer be him if he replaced it. That's just the shopkeeper that you meet in the first maybe 30min of the game.

The structure of the game is pretty wild. Your 'first' playthrough like I said is kind of your standard are machines alive thing. It's pretty good by itself, but that only gives you ending A. Your 'second' playthrough is basically the same story, but they switch the perspectives and mix up the gameplay a bit. The big plot points are all the same, but new details of the story are revealed to you at just enough of a pace to keep things interesting. That gives you ending B. The 'third' playthrough is entirely different and gives you endings C, D, and E. Ending E is the true ending of the game. I won't spoil it, but it's so unique to Nier. There are also joke endings for F-Z. Like if you die during certain missions or go the wrong way, you get an ending. Credits roll and you have to reload your save to pick back up where you left off. The ones I found were all by accident, so I only found a few.

The writing is all fantastic. I'm not typically one for side missions, but I'd say probably like 90% of the ones I did were all well written and interesting enough stories that I didn't care they were just fetch quests. The main story is perfectly paced drips of information that drag you deeper and deeper into the story.

The combat is also great. At first it feels a little button mashy. It's your typical light attack, heavy attack, jumping, dodging, countering, etc., but you have 2 weapons equipped at a time. One does the light attack and one does the heavy attack. You get different combos depending on which weapons you have equipped. It's fun to play around with. You also have a little robot pod that follows you around that acts as your ranged attack. You pretty much keep the fire button held down the entire game. It also does a special attack with a cooldown. The brilliance of the combat is how they switch it up. One moment, you're doing your 3D hack and slash stuff. The next, you're in a 2D side scroller. The next, it's a twin stick shooter. It sounds like it could be messy, but it all works well because the controls are the same. It wasn't good enough to have an entire game of any one of them, but mixing it up constantly kept things fresh.

The RPG aspects were good. You find chips throughout the world, by defeating enemies, and doing side quests. These give you different perks, but you only have whatever it is....64 bits....and they take up different room on your board. I don't think it's anything new, but it fits very well narratively being an android and all. I always liked that style more than just increasing stats. Gives you more freedom to mess around with different play styles. They also let you save 3 different setups. In a nod to Dark Souls, if you die, you have to recover your chips from your body where you died or those chips are lost forever.

Last, but certainly not least, the music. The music absolutely slaps. It's great on it's own, but they add in layers of instruments or vocals depending on what's happening and where you are. Easily the best soundtrack I've heard in a game.

The only major complaint I have.......the game crashed I couldn't even tell you how many times. It crashed 3 times in a row at a specific spot. I looked it up online and you have to have your camera pointing in an unnatural direction or else it crashes. And it's been happening since it launched in 2017. At the start of the third playthrough, it crashed seemingly every 30min. Infuriating. There's a few other nitpicks, but they're so minor and I don't feel like typing anymore.

Overall, I'd recommend it to anyone who hasn't played it. Truly a great game. One of my personal favorites. It might join Sekiro and Bloodborne as the only games I've replayed, but whereas those I replayed for the bosses, Nier would be to dive deeper into the story and themes. I even reinstalled Neir: Replicant which I gave up on last year because it was so incredibly slow and tedious. I heard it gets better, but I couldn't take it anymore. Now, I can believe there is a light at the end of the tunnel even if I can't see it yet.

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012
1707686662634.png

Dirt 5 (PS4, 2020)

Before Dirt 5, I had played four Dirt games. Dirt 3 was a fun mixture of different kinds of offroad racing and Ken Block. It also had Manchester Orchestra on the soundtrack. Dirt 4 was a strange mix of that and normal rally driving. Dirt Rally cleared that up by being much more focused on one thing, and also included the full Pikes Peak hillclimb course. Dirt Rally 2.0 is one of the most infuriating games I've ever played, and I may yet finish it one day.

Dirt 5 has, DLC included, 227 career events. Almost all of them are races against other cars. Some are time trials. Some are 'Path Finder' events where you go up a steep, severe rocky hill climb. Some of the DLC events include checkpoint races on custom courses, and there are Gymkhana events where you have to do stunts to beat a certain score within a time limit. The game features a range of off road vehicles including rally cars, rallycross, buggies, pickup trucks, and others.

There you go. I've described the entirety of Dirt 5. I can't say this in any great detail or with any insight, but if you've done one race in this game you've done them all. Nothing has any consequence, no race has any stakes or strategy, there's no setup to change, you just drive for five minutes and win and that's that.

I spent about thirty hours going through all of these events and the most impressive thing was how consistent the game is. Consistently unremarkable, but consistent. It's probably ironic that this much consistency in a racing game comes across as such a negative to me, but here we are. There are some secondary goals for you to aim for in a race - time spent above a certain speed, time spent in the air, overtaking while drifting, that sort of thing - which let you increase your standings with sponsors. The sponsors are irrelevant though, you unlock a couple of stickers for custom liveries you're never going to look at and you'll have more than enough money from winning the races in order to buy every car anyway.

I don't remember Dirt 3 well enough to know if it had any sort of structure in the background outside of the racing, but Dirt 5 apparently has something resembling a story. Between races you occasionally get some guys on a podcast talking to you about offroad racing and how amazing it is. And how important the Dirt Tour is. I guess that's what I was racing in. And then there's a final boss race against a guy named Bruno who they don't like. But you never see these people, and the talking comes over the top of the music in the background and while you're still going through the menus looking at stuff, so I think I was halfway through the game before I stopped treating it as an interruption rather than something I might have benefitted from paying attention to.

Ultimately this very thin attempt to introduce context is as shallow and flimsy as the races themselves. Since this game was released in late 2020 I don't know if Covid played a part here but the racing feels like the basics were finished then left, and the voiceovers were thrown in last minute. The people talking may as well be disembodied voices inside my head.

I could look past all of this if the game was enjoyable to drive. It's not. The sponsor objectives encourage you to drift, but any attempt to get the car sideways sees you lose lots of speed and lots of places. For an off-road racing game the environment seems very inconsequential too. You notice some sliding when driving on ice, but there's very little difference between tarmac, mud, gravel, rocks, snow or puddles. The water effects are especially hilarious. Nothing happens to your car when you drive through water. It doesn't get bogged down, no splashes come up, nothing. As you might imagine, this all contributes to the game feeling quite basic.

It doesn't look that great either. I played the PS4 version. This was also one of the first PS5 games, so I'm sure a better version of it exists. But then Gran Turismo Sport was released on PS4 in 2017, and look at that. Three things stand out about how Dirt 5 looks. First one of my recurring pet hates in racing games, a photo mode you can only access by pausing a race. There's no replay feature, so if you want to take a picture of a dramatic, exciting race you need to stop it and spend ten minutes fiddling about with the filters and effects. Terrible.

Most races also feature a rapid time of day change. Too rapid, because the longest race is about five minutes and you're just very aware that the sun doesn't come up that quickly and it doesn't get that bright that quickly. It feels like style over substance, but it's not even style done well. And on that note, the third graphical problem is trying to drive at night. The headlights on every car are like something from one of those Top Gear specials when they're in the middle of nowhere in Asia driving something with fridge lights for headlights. If you're driving at night in this game you cannot see a thing, and that ends up as fun as it sounds.

For all its blandness, there is one interesting part of Dirt 5. The Playgrounds feature lets you create custom tracks and events and share them for others to play. Much like any such feature it's filled with hugely complex, imaginative courses already which feel like they'd take you months and a few degrees to figure out how to make yourself. The options for searching through these to find good ones also seems a bit awkward. Plus there are lots that are like those custom races in GTA Online where you end up way up in the air driving on shipping containers and narrow planks. These courses don't really serve much purpose in themselves, but they're almost always a bigger test of your driving skills than the base game, so that's something.

I don't think there's going to be a Dirt 6. Good.

Frankie Spankie

Feb 22, 2009
Dorchester, MA
Midnight Fight Express - 8/10

I got Midnight Fight Express out of a Humble Bundle and I'm glad I did because I doubt I would have given it a shot or even heard of it otherwise. It was a pleasant surprise for sure! This is basically a beat em up version of Hotline Miami with a killer soundtrack and a fun story. There was also some fun humor throughout the game. The dialogue with any bad guys were almost cartoonish villainy or even just silly humor.

The gameplay is really tight as is the animations to go along with it. It kind of plays like the melee combat of the Batman Arkham games with a wide variety of weapons. They had some silly weapons like a paint roller or pillows but also your typical weapons like knives and pipes. The one thing this game had that I feel like most games like this don't have is guns. You don't get to reload so pick up and unload your gun at your targets, then throw the gun at your next target. The animations are also really fluid and it's really fun to accidentally perform an environmental take down, it feels really fluid and natural. My only real complaint about the combat is that you carry a gun at all times with one shot you have to recharge and to use it is the same button as the finisher button. Often times, I went for a finisher and it would waste my shot instead because I wasn't in just the right spot to perform the finisher.

Every level has a theme and particular set of enemies. For example, you'll find thugs in a sewer level or bouncers at a night club level. The enemies for the most part feel the same but do have some small differences in how they attack. My main issue is sometimes they try to get a bit creative with the levels and it just makes them really frustrating. There are some levels where you ride a vehicle and it changes the feeling of the game too much. Also some levels have hazards you have to avoid while fighting and it just feels overwhelming and frustrating. For example, there's an early level with a helicopter shooting into a train and you have to avoid the helicopter's guns while fighting enemies. There are a few other instances like this throughout the game and none of them were fun, they were all just frustrating.

The game overall was a lot of fun though. It's short and sweet. You'll probably finish it at around 6 hours. I did find it hard to play in long sessions but each stage can be completed anywhere between 3-10 minutes. It's a great game to play in quick spurts. It's definitely worth your time though even with the issues aside.

SimGrindcore

Mar 16, 2021
www.facebook.com
Heh, it helps to play quicker games and never replaying anything. It took me like a month and a half to beat Baldur's Gate 3 while I started during the holidays and had plenty of time off. Now I want to focus on some shorter games to chip away at my backlog. Sprawl only took me about 4.5 hours. I was playing RE5 with a friend of mine so it was easy to sit there for 2-3 hour sessions at a time and talk/joke while playing the game. If I wasn't playing with him, I doubt I would have finished it even close to as quickly as I did, if I finished it at all.

I'm always in a fight against my backlog. There are over 75 games in there. And for now I'm stuck in Fallout 76 unlocking/grinding achievements waiting for the next update (Atlantic City part II).

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
Xenoblade Chronicles 3 - 8/10.

This one was a long one....It's rare a game keeps my attention for 75+ hours like Xenoblade did. I loved the combat, exploration, and found the story to be one of the more immersive ones I have played in a long while. The character work was also really well done, my only complaint on that front was the cheesy British accents... As someone who doesn't play too many games of this length, I did find some sections of the game to drag out. There was a lot of walking 100 metres just to activate another cut scene. Other than that, great experience!

Going to take a break from the long JRPG's for a while to focus on the Indie backlog. After that, I'm hoping to go back and play the first 2 games in the series before circling back to 3 for the DLC.

Reactions: Jovavic

Frankie Spankie

Feb 22, 2009
Dorchester, MA
Almost exactly 24 hours later. You weren't kidding that you were about to beat it!

I had the day off work due to snow and I was able to at least play some games that I decided weren't for me and finish another. Figured I'll throw all of my Steam reviews on here. I played and gave up on Gas Guzzlers Extreme & The Gunk after about an hour and a half each. I finished Manifold Garden completely.

Gas Guzzlers Extreme - 6/10

This game is OK at best. The music is fun and what you'd expect from this kind of game and the graphics are great for a 10 year old game. The game always makes the sound that you're drifting on pavement even if you're driving straight which is really jarring.

The driving physics are just OK, probably even a bit below average. You'll often feel like you can't turn as much as you'd like to or you'll have to hit the brakes. There's this weird threshold where hitting the brakes and turning will make you drift until it suddenly brings you to an abrupt stop. You're forced feeling like you have to learn how to feather the brake just enough to turn but not enough to abruptly stop and it gets frustrating quickly.

The career mode is weird. Not that I expect much of a "career" mode out of a 10 year old arcade racer but you pick between three race styles, either a standard race with weapons, a standard race without weapons, or a knockout race where the last place car in each lap gets knocked out. You don't get to pick the track, they're just random. The standard race with no weapons feels like a waste because the appeal to the game is the weapons. The knockout race takes way too long. That leaves you feeling like you have to pick the standard race with weapons but the tracks are randomly selected and there don't seem to be many tracks. I already raced the same tracks more than once within my first hour. There is a deathmatch mode that pops up occasionally but I personally found that mode very boring. The arenas are too big and there aren't enough cars. When you do find a car, you just drive straight towards it firing your weapon hoping you kill the other car before they kill you.

Also, you get money very quickly but you don't unlock the ability to buy new cars that quickly. You get random rewards at the end of each race so you just have to hope you get the ability to buy a car. You end up with a ton of money quickly without anything to spend it on. You're left feeling like you should be racing fast cars but you're stuck with the slow cars almost through RNG.

Reading around, it looks like there's a capture the flag mode which sounds like it could be fun but I'm just not interested enough in trying it. This isn't necessarily a bad game but I just wouldn't recommend it either. I wish there were more racers with weapons in them for the chaos but as a pure racer with carnage, I would much rather play Wreckfest.

The Gunk - 4/10

The Gunk is pretty boring to be honest. The store description honestly feels very misleading. They say it's an action-adventure. The action is so minimal it shouldn't even be considered an action game at all, just an adventure. The environment is pretty but the whole game is running through very linear areas, collecting materials, and cleaning gunk. That's it. That's what the whole game feels like.

I admittedly stopped after an hour and a half or so out of boredom and don't have much interest in returning to it. The store description also says, "duo of gritty space haulers" but they don't feel gritty at all. The dialogue between the two comes up often, probably to fill the dead space in the game as you run down a mostly empty path, but they sound the furthest thing from gritty. The main character that you play as just seems to enjoy nature and wants to explore it and look at stuff. The other girl is on the radio constantly complaining about how hungry she is.

You also can't rebind the movement keys. They let you rebind all the other keys but not the movement keys for some reason. It's very strange. It won't affect many players but there are some of us that don't use WASD and we're stuck either using WASD or a controller.

If you want a basic adventure game, you may like this. But that's strictly who this is for. I've seen such minimal action I wouldn't call it an action game at all. I haven't seen any puzzles yet. It's strictly just an adventure game with a standard story in a pretty world. There are plenty of other games with pretty worlds with more to offer. I'd suggest playing one of those.

Manifold Garden - 8/10

The puzzles in Manifold Garden aren't overly challenging and the game feels like it's more about exploration at times. The puzzles are solved by turning the wold by 90 degrees to affect gravity and figuring out how to manipulate gravity to get blocks to where you need them to go. Sometimes it's blocks to place on markers, sometimes it's entire platforms you need to move by turning the world.

The game is very trippy and that makes the game very fun to explore. I was expecting more challenging puzzles than I was presented with rather than exploring but I was still pleasantly surprised by the exploring itself because of how creative and trippy the world is. It's not exactly what I was expecting from a puzzler but I still enjoyed the ride nevertheless!

Frankie Spankie

Feb 22, 2009
Dorchester, MA
Knocking out more short games from my backlog!

Final Vendetta - 7/10
This is a solid beat em up but it's very short. I beat it in about a half hour. I'm sure the game is meant to be replayed multiple times for challenges and high scores, especially at the high price tag of $25. The game is solid but I'd definitely recommend grabbing it in a sale or a bundle like I did.

The Hong Kong Massacre - 8/10
This is basically Max Payne meets Hotline Miami and it's a lot of fun. The perspective is top down but the graphics are 3D. It gives it a really nice feel compared to Hotline Miami. I particularly loved fighting on rooftops and you'd shoot someone and watch them fly out a window and down the ground. The gameplay is very similar to Hotline Miami. One shot kills everybody with every gun. You can dive to give yourself invincibility frames and you can slow down time to steady your aim or time your dives properly. The game may be challenging but if you've played Hotline Miami, you know what you're getting in to and will have an easy transition into this game.

There are windows you can dive and shoot through. It takes a little bit of getting used to and maybe replaying a level a couple times to know where they are vs where the doors are. You can also shoot at doors to open them which can be really fun to take a quick shot to open the door then immediately kill someone on the other side. The story feels rather generic, nothing to write home about and the game's very short. I didn't aim for any challenges or anything and it took me 2 hours to complete. I bet if you try to 100% the game, you're looking at significantly longer though. The challenges are consistent, it's always beat a level within a time limit, beat a level with 100% accuracy, and beat a level without slow mo. They look a bit tedious for me to bother trying to get but to each their own. I still really enjoyed my playthrough during my two hours and would definitely recommend this one.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
Frostpunk - 7/10

I don't know if I 'beat' it, but I completed the first 2 scenarios.

It took a few tries to understand everything. The biggest tip I could give is to not follow what the tutorial says when it says it. After that, it was addicting, but pretty easy. The second scenario, I survived, but failed the objective. The second try at it, after I knew more about what was going to happen, I passed it with flying colors.

It was fun to figure things out, but there's not enough of a story to keep me invested and felt like doing the same thing over and over again.

Unholy Diver

Oct 13, 2002
in the midnight sea
Fallout 76 - 7/10

The updates improved the game quite a bit, the Wastelanders, and Brotherhood of Steel updates added some good main questlines and much needed NPC's, that being said it was still by far the weakest of the Bethesda Fallout games, if you really want more Fallout then it is worth a playthrough, I loved FO3, NV and FO4, but found 76 to be merely OK or pretty good. It was more Fallout, but at a lower quality

Reactions: SimGrindcore

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
ss_d1ec91599898a0eed364ee668ad83894c271080a.1920x1080.jpg

Godzilla Voxel Wars - 8/10

I already described it in the "Games you are currently playing" thread here, but it's a chess-like strategy game that's a lot like Into the Breach, but simpler. Each stage (or 8x8 board with enemies, buildings and other features) can take only a few minutes to complete or a lot longer if you try for the 3-star and "Perfect Strategy" achievements. Those require completing the stage within a specified number of turns and without any damage to buildings and I concentrated on them in order to 1) make it challenging enough for me, and 2) get the most out of each stage and make the game last longer. It really scratched my puzzle solving itch and it was also just fun to play as the monsters from the Japanese Godzilla movies of the 60s and 70s. There are a few things that were slightly annoying. One is the inability to skip animations and messages and the other is the inability to undo your last few moves after you complete or fail a stage. Instead, you have to start it from the beginning in order to try to do it better. Those are rather minor annoyances that don't take away from the game, though. I still loved it, am a little sad that there are no more stages to play (though there are user-made levels) and highly recommend it if you like chess-like strategy games and, especially, Into the Breach.

Last edited:

Frankie Spankie

Feb 22, 2009
Dorchester, MA
Prodeus - 9/10
This is a great homage to Doom. In fact, I would say this is very close to Doom 2016 reboot if they wanted more of a Doom 1993 aesthetic. The graphics are obviously quite a bit nicer than the original Doom graphics but just in the sense of that more retro FPS style.

The game play is super tight. Every kill feels satisfying regardless of what gun you use. The soundtrack is awesome. If you like Doom, this is 100% for you. Not much of a story, just rushing through levels while killing demons. The blood and viscera from every kill is pretty over the top and it just adds to the enjoyment of demon slaying.

SolidSnakeUS

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2009
Baldwinsville, NY
Prodeus - 9/10
This is a great homage to Doom. In fact, I would say this is very close to Doom 2016 reboot if they wanted more of a Doom 1993 aesthetic. The graphics are obviously quite a bit nicer than the original Doom graphics but just in the sense of that more retro FPS style.

The game play is super tight. Every kill feels satisfying regardless of what gun you use. The soundtrack is awesome. If you like Doom, this is 100% for you. Not much of a story, just rushing through levels while killing demons. The blood and viscera from every kill is pretty over the top and it just adds to the enjoyment of demon slaying.

I still need to go back through this game. Still f***ing shit that it doesn't support cloud saving outside its own login scheme.

I got a bit into it in EA but I never went back to it since release.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad