The last few games you beat and rate them 5

SimGrindcore

Mar 16, 2021
www.facebook.com
We live in an age of the internet. When you get stuck in a game you google where you are and find 50 posts on reddit complaining about the same thing, and find the answer from there.
It's harder to find the answer when you play an obcure game or a DLC tho.

This said, I enjoyed my Control playthrough.

Sad People

Jun 4, 2021
Spider Man 2 - 10/10

GOTY Candidate hands down.

I could easily see it nominated.

I forget, how many games get nominated? 5?

Because right now theres, Tears of the Kingdom, BG3, and Hogwarts Legacy, that will get nominated. At the end of the day i believe its between TotK and BG3 though.

Dolemite

The one...the only...
Sponsor
May 4, 2004
Washington DC

Because right now theres, Tears of the Kingdom, BG3, and Hogwarts Legacy, that will get nominated. At the end of the day i believe its between TotK and BG3 though.
Hi-Fi Rush
Starfield
The Making of Karateka
Lies of P
Diablo 4
Cocoon
Cyberpunk 2077: Phantom Liberty
Baldurs Gate 3
Remnant 2

All deserve a seat at the GOTY table.

Sad People

Jun 4, 2021
Hi-Fi Rush
Starfield
The Making of Karateka
Lies of P
Diablo 4
Cocoon
Cyberpunk 2077: Phantom Liberty
Baldurs Gate 3
Remnant 2

All deserve a seat at the GOTY table.
Might be splitting hairs here but i dont think CP2077 Phantom Liberty gets nominated for GOTY because i think its technically a DLC, and if IIRC, theres a separate award for that. I could be miss remembering award shows because theres so many now for games its all kinda dumb.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto

I believe it's 6, and they usually squeeze in an indy game, not sure which one gets the nod this year. Sometimes they put a Nintendo/Switch game in that might be questionable, but that guarenteed Switch spot is gonna be ToTK and by all accounts it deserves at a minimum a nomination if not the win. I haven't played enough to have a valid opinion on who should win though. BG3 looks epic, but I know that isn't a game for me, especially to try out at full price. ToTK, I never finished Breath of the Wild, so I'm planning to go back to that. The game was great, but I'm not going to ToTK until I beat Breath of the Wild given my backlog. I played maybe an hour of Starfield on gamepass but I'm not a huge WRPG fan, and it didn't hook me. Plus I wasn't exactly enthused with it's performance on my PC which generally can run almost any game at 60fps in 1440p high or ultra quite comfortably. Will probably get Hogwarts on a steam sale at a good price.

As for the topic at hand.

Marvel's Spiderman 2- 9/10

Loved the first one, and loved Miles Morales. I've beat the story, and plan to at least get 100% everything if not go for the Platinum like I have in Marvel's Spiderman. They did a ton of good and took the game to the next level based on previous installments. It did feel next gen, and I would say is probably the best looking game of this gen at least when it comes to consoles (haven't tested Alan Wake 2 yet). Played it in performance mode and it looked absolutely stunning and was very fluid. Never encountered anything close to a game-breaking bug, so it was very polished. I believe once I had a crash, and once I backtracked because I couldn't figure out where to go, and it trapped me leading me to restart a checkpoint (which was maybe 30 seconds back). The story worked for me and kept me engaged, I'm sure certain choices will leave die-hard Spider-man fans frustrated. A great cast of villains, and managed to avoid repeating significantly on characters the previous two games. Like the previous two, it mixes newer era Spider-man characters like Mr. Negative with the classics Doc Ock in the original. I know it will be a long-wait, but I love what they are building, and there are so many untouched characters. On top of that, I think there were some storylines in this that could be possible DLC content like previous game (although none has been announced), but other stories that will be expanded need to be their own game.

I've seen complaints about it's length, but I'm not someone who needs mass replayability nor 40+ in a game world to feel justified in paying launch prices for a game. If it gives me a great 10 hours it works, and in Spider-Man 2's case I'd say it's closer to 25. Maybe 15 or so, if you are dead set on only mainlining it ignoring side missions and other objectives. Traversal is great, and the fast travel is amazingly integrated. The combat is fun, but very similar to the first and Arkham. The game outside of the MJ missions, mainly built on previous installments. Surprisingly, unlike the first game (which I still loved), the MJ missions didn't feel like a chore in this, and were unique. They played like a survival-horror game, and were excellently done, even if I'm not a big survival-horror fan when it comes to what I usually play. With Miles Morales getting a Christmas theme due to when it launched. While not outright embracing it as a Halloween game between one of the primary villains who has been heavily advertised (so I don't feel I'm spoiling anything), and the tone, it did feel great playing around the Halloween season.

In conclusion, if you didn't like the first two Marvel Spider-man games, probably not worth playing. If you loved them you'd love this (basically what I said about Horizon:Forbidden West and God of War: Ragnarok). I'd also say, similar to Fallen Order/Jedi Survivor (but with much fewer technical issues, it's a much more polished game), if you love the IP, and enjoyed the prior game you'll likely love it. To add since the launch of Sunset Overdrive early in the 8th gen of consoles, Insomniac has been on a helluva run, their most questionable game in that was probably the Ratchet and Clank remake (and that was still good), everything else they've put out for mainstream consoles I've loved (Spider-Man, Miles Morales, Ratchet and Clank: Rift Apart). Can't wait to see what Insomniac has in store for Wolverine which hopefully drops next year. They may not ever put out a consenesus GOTY winner, but there production pipeline for the past decade has been amazing.

Reactions: Sad People

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012
That's where you go to gamefaqs.
On a related note:

1699037139577.png

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
Dark Souls 3 DLC's
Ashes of Ariandel - 7/10​
The Ringed City - 9/10​
More essential Soulsbourne content.

Ashes of Ariandel was too short. Only had 2 bosses, 1 of which I one-shotted. I don't one-shot many FromSoft bosses, so that was a bit disappointing. The other boss, though, Sister Friede, is probably top 5 in Dark Souls 3 for me. Still, only 1 good boss? Had to knock some points off for that.

The Ringed City was not super long either, only 4 bosses, but 2 more top 5 Dark Souls 3 bosses (Gael, Midir) and another probably top 10 (Demon Prince). Gael is one of my favorite FromSoft bosses. I really like the marathon bosses that will punish you for mistakes, but don't really one shot you. It encourages you to be aggressive because not every mistake will kill you. It becomes much more of a back and fourth that's a lot more engaging. I also love, not the boss intro cut scene, but the cut scene that reveals the arena (which is also super cool).

The other boss is a neat idea. If you play online, another player will be summoned in to be the boss you fight. But 1) they already did this in Demon's Souls and 2) I play offline and the NPC you fight instead is kind of a push over (another boss I one-shot).

I've been debating whether to go back to Dark Souls and Dark Souls 2. I've had some frustrations with older games lately and am worried they will seem too janky. But the DLC's really left me wanting more. Might have to give Dark Souls a shot at some point.

Soldier13Fox

jävlar anamma (f'ing embrace, get with it)
Sponsor
Oct 8, 2013
Coon Rapids
Dark Souls 3 DLC's
Ashes of Ariandel - 7/10​
The Ringed City - 9/10​
More essential Soulsbourne content.

Ashes of Ariandel was too short. Only had 2 bosses, 1 of which I one-shotted. I don't one-shot many FromSoft bosses, so that was a bit disappointing. The other boss, though, Sister Friede, is probably top 5 in Dark Souls 3 for me. Still, only 1 good boss? Had to knock some points off for that.

The Ringed City was not super long either, only 4 bosses, but 2 more top 5 Dark Souls 3 bosses (Gael, Midir) and another probably top 10 (Demon Prince). Gael is one of my favorite FromSoft bosses. I really like the marathon bosses that will punish you for mistakes, but don't really one shot you. It encourages you to be aggressive because not every mistake will kill you. It becomes much more of a back and fourth that's a lot more engaging. I also love, not the boss intro cut scene, but the cut scene that reveals the arena (which is also super cool).

The other boss is a neat idea. If you play online, another player will be summoned in to be the boss you fight. But 1) they already did this in Demon's Souls and 2) I play offline and the NPC you fight instead is kind of a push over (another boss I one-shot).

I've been debating whether to go back to Dark Souls and Dark Souls 2. I've had some frustrations with older games lately and am worried they will seem too janky. But the DLC's really left me wanting more. Might have to give Dark Souls a shot at some point.
Ds1 is a classic. Ds2.... don't let others dislike of the game deter you, its probably the one I played the most. It's good and the dlc is great

Unholy Diver

Oct 13, 2002
in the midnight sea
The Evil Within 2- 7.5/10

Psychological survival horror as you continue the story as Det Sebastian Castellanos as he tries to rescue his family from several psychopaths and grotesque monsters in a simulated world created by Morbius, an evil corporation trying to control mankind via chips implanted in their brains, some solid scares, monsters, and boss battles

Soedy

All Hail Cale
Nov 27, 2012
Hamburg, Germany
Kena - Bridge of Spirits - 7.5/10
The graphics, atmosphere and sound is excellent. Story is ok. The combat does not feel very good. The boss battles were bullet sponges (don't like that). It's ok to play on PS Plus, Gamepass or get it for cheap. I also have played quite a few spirit games in the last few years (Tunic, Spirit of the North, Never alone), I am just burnt out on the topic I guess. The rotts are a nice addition even though they could have been implemented more in the Jump 'n Run sections (which were very good).

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
I finished Alien: Isolation the other night and was somewhat disappointed. The atmosphere, graphics and sound are all excellent, but the gameplay is so linear, handholdy, repetitive and filled with scripted events, uninterruptable animations and quick time events. It should've been so immersive, but many design decisions broke the immersion by making it feel like a game. Also, the AI felt a little unfair and unrealistic and the ending was abrupt and disappointing. I love the Alien franchise and stealth games, so it should've been a game that I loved, but it just wasn't as enjoyable as I would've liked.

Reactions: Frankie Spankie

WeDislikeEich

Jun 22, 2015
Like a dragon: Ishin

If you like the Yakuza series, you will like this game. It’s your typical Yakuza game but set in the Bakumatsu period of Japan's history (between 1853-1867, the late Edo period).

Most of your classic Yakuza characters are in the game, but obviously in much different roles. I thought at first that might be weird but they did a great job casting each character into fitting roles. It’s actually a lot of fun seeing old familiar characters pop up throughout the game.

You get 4 different styles to fight in. Sword, gun, sword+gun and fist. Each feels unique and all are enjoyable. Combat in general is very similar to previous Yakuza games (except for the most recent like a dragon game that had turn based combat).

There are lots of mini games as usual too. Some of your more classics like the batting cages, but with a fun twist more fitting for the time period (I won’t spoil it). Some fun new mini games as well.

It’s on Xbox game pass now, so if you have game pass and are a fan of the Yakuza games I would definitely recommend it. I think it would still be a fun play even if you’ve never played the Yakuza games before. You don’t need to understand the history of the characters to understand the game. It’s a totally unique story. You just won’t recognize all the characters from previous Yakuza games.

Frankie Spankie

Feb 22, 2009
Dorchester, MA
I finished Alien: Isolation the other night and was somewhat disappointed. The atmosphere, graphics and sound are all excellent, but the gameplay is so linear, handholdy, repetitive and filled with scripted events, uninterruptable animations and quick time events. It should've been so immersive, but many design decisions broke the immersion by making it feel like a game. Also, the AI felt a little unfair and unrealistic and the ending was abrupt and disappointing. I love the Alien franchise and stealth games, so it should've been a game that I loved, but it just wasn't as enjoyable as I would've liked.
I felt the same about Alien Isolation. Everyone raved about how the alien learns how you play and adjusts accordingly and I never once got that feeling. On top of it, the flamethrower was possibly the most OP weapon in any game ever. You get like 500 fuel for it. Tapping fire really quick is enough to scare the alien away and only costs 6 fuel. You can just sprint from place to place tapping the trigger over and over and over without having to worry about the alien catching you.

Reactions: Osprey

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
I felt the same about Alien Isolation. Everyone raved about how the alien learns how you play and adjusts accordingly and I never once got that feeling. On top of it, the flamethrower was possibly the most OP weapon in any game ever. You get like 500 fuel for it. Tapping fire really quick is enough to scare the alien away and only costs 6 fuel. You can just sprint from place to place tapping the trigger over and over and over without having to worry about the alien catching you.
Yeah, I didn't get the sense that the alien learned, either. Maybe that comes into play only if you abuse the systems, like spending far too long in ducts or lockers or using the same devices (like noisemakers) over and over. If so, it's probably not as complex of AI as it's made to sound. What I was very aware of is that you and the alien are on a leash, so no matter where you go, it's nearby. Even if it never detects you, it always knows the area that you're in and follows you. It got so obvious that I ended up installing a mod that made the alien a little less clingy and more unpredictable. Also, yeah, once I got the flamethrower, the game stopped being very scary because encounters with the alien were no longer death sentences. I don't think that I ever came even close to running out of fuel.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Doom (2016)-PC (7.5/10)

Has been playing this on off since like September, but finally put in the final 4 hours or so to beat it this week. The performance was amazing, constantly getting 144 fps (capped) at 1440p/Ultra. I feel I would hold it higher if I didn't beat Doom: Eternal a while back first. I can see why this game is beloved and was at the time for being so much different than modern AAA shooters, it's just Doom Eternal took what made this game good and made it even better (while also harder). I'd recommend it to pretty much anyone. I did find it weird how due to some pre-existing deal it's not on PC Gamepass but I got it on a sizable Steam sale a while back. It does make me wonder what iD is up to these days, I know some of their studio got stuck on trying to fix Starfield's gunplay, but I'm really looking forward to what they and MachineGames can do doing forward. Whether for iD that is a new IP (unlikely), a sequel to Doom or a reboot of Quake.

Frankie Spankie

Feb 22, 2009
Dorchester, MA
Dead Space - 8.5/10

I never played the original Dead Space so this is my introduction to the series. This is a great horror survival game that I'm glad got remade. The graphics, setting, atmosphere, etc was all great. I loved the whole gimmick of having to shoot off aliens limbs. It's a unique spin that you never really had to do in an shooter. The story was really interesting as well and it kept me wanting to see what happens next.

The game did have some weird bugs. The optimization kind of sucks and I'm saying that with a 4090. I'm curious how this runs on your more standard PCs. I got a lot of frame drops at random moments and some sections would stutter. I also got a really strange bug that seems common enough after searching online that some keys would always open the inventory. Closing the game and relaunching it fixed it but sometimes it was a while between save points so it would get very frustrating.

Even with those issues aside, the game is great. I can see why it got all the praise it got over all the years.

Reactions: Ceremony

Jovavic

Gaslight Object Project
Oct 13, 2002
New Born Citizen Erased
Like a Dragon Gaiden - 8/10

A streamlined version of a typical Yakuza game, this one hits all the right notes without feeling bloated. Took maybe 20 hours with probably a few left in side content I won't do. There's some Infinite Wealth content that opens up after you beat the game so I'm excited to look into that. The story overall is great with some new characters that drop into the universe like they've always been there. If you don't tear up at the end you're probably a soulless monster.

Soldier13Fox

jävlar anamma (f'ing embrace, get with it)
Sponsor
Oct 8, 2013
Coon Rapids
Like a Dragon Gaiden - 8/10

A streamlined version of a typical Yakuza game, this one hits all the right notes without feeling bloated. Took maybe 20 hours with probably a few left in side content I won't do. There's some Infinite Wealth content that opens up after you beat the game so I'm excited to look into that. The story overall is great with some new characters that drop into the universe like they've always been there. If you don't tear up at the end you're probably a soulless monster.
I bought it but haven't started yet. However.... man I can't wait until infinite wealth.

Reactions: Jovavic

Frankie Spankie

Feb 22, 2009
Dorchester, MA
We Were Here Expeditions: The FriendShip - 9/10

This iteration of We Were Here is a lot shorter than the others but also has a scoring system. You don't have to go for the highest score within each puzzle if you don't want to but you do have to reach a certain level to advance. There's only three puzzles but even figuring them out and then optimizing yourself to get the highest score will take about 2.5 hours. All three puzzles were really fun and got some laughs out of us. The game is a great intro for the We Were Here series if you want to try this one before playing another to see if you'd like the series. They're all great to play with a friend though. Another great game by Total Mayhem Games!

SimGrindcore

Mar 16, 2021
www.facebook.com
Fallout 4: Vault-Tec Workshop: 5/10

Really short DLC (like 3 quests) set in a new Vault. It makes your built all sorts of items for theses quest. I think it adds items you can build for your settlements (which I'm not a fan of).

Fallout 4: Automatron DLC: 6/10

Interesting series of quests but it's short. Robot customization is cool but once again, I'm not that builder type.

Fallout 4: Far Harbor DLC: 8/10

Feels like a mini-Fallout 4 in Fallout 4. Played around between 12 and 20 hours (can't remember) to unlock all achievements, discover every locations and complete as many quest as I could. Love the admosphere, it felt like a film noir/horror movie. I feel there was more choices to make than the main game. But I think I had overall more fun with the Nuka-World DLC.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jovavic

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad