Confirmed with Link: The koala has been fired!! Todd McLellan fired, Jim Hiller named Interim Head Coach

DoktorJeep

Expediency x Sentimentality = Mediocrity
Aug 2, 2005
OC
Rob says everything has to get better and just fires the coach, the one guy who doesn’t play. He also says the team was put together to win, essentially admitting no levers exist to make a change on ice.

His job is coming down to Arvidsson, Talbot / Rittich and Hiller turning things around. Even a first round loss may not keep him from getting canned.

Axl Rhoadz

Binky distributor
Apr 5, 2011
Rob says everything has to get better and just fires the coach, the one guy who doesn’t play. He also says the team was put together to win, essentially admitting no levers exist to make a change on ice.

His job is coming down to Arvidsson, Talbot / Rittich and Hiller turning things around. Even a first round loss may not keep him from getting canned.
What else can he do? Went all in with PLD and felt the D was strong enough to where they wouldn't need a high-priced goalie. He was correct the first 25 games or so, incorrect the next 25 games. Kind of hard to evaluate what you have when you basically have two polar opposite teams after 50 games in regards to results.

However, there have been a lot of games during this stretch where the team was in a position to win and the result could/should have been different. A far cry from being a team that is losing because they just can't keep up with other teams due to lack of skill.

But yah, his job probably comes down to the results of the end of this season. He's blown 7.5million on coaches and 8.5 on a player who hasn't produced. The only way that player makes up for it is if they do some damage in the playoffs (IF they make the playoffs) and/or Hiller can work some magic.

Id be sweatin if my job depended on arvid, talbot and rittich. Dumb sob did it to himself
I don't understand the nasty insults you throw around to the org you claim to be a fan of. Let me clue you in on something, Blake, Luc, etc....they want to win just as badly as you do.

Maybe you can tone it down, be better. Think about if you'd actually have the balls to throw those words around if you were face to face with them.

Axl Rhoadz

Binky distributor
Apr 5, 2011
The team cratered this year because the Kings got rid of Alex Faust. Did you all consider that, you big meanies? Karma.
Canning Faust was the best move the org did since hiring Dean Lombardi.

What the reality is that the team has been cursed since raising Blake's number to the rafters in 2015.

Reactions: AbsentMojo

BigKing

Blake Out of Hell III: Back in to Hell
Mar 11, 2003
Belmont Shore, CA
google.com
What else can he do? Went all in with PLD and felt the D was strong enough to where they wouldn't need a high-priced goalie. He was correct the first 25 games or so, incorrect the next 25 games. Kind of hard to evaluate what you have when you basically have two polar opposite teams after 50 games in regards to results.

However, there have been a lot of games during this stretch where the team was in a position to win and the result could/should have been different. A far cry from being a team that is losing because they just can't keep up with other teams due to lack of skill.

But yah, his job probably comes down to the results of the end of this season. He's blown 7.5million on coaches and 8.5 on a player who hasn't produced. The only way that player makes up for it is if they do some damage in the playoffs (IF they make the playoffs) and/or Hiller can work some magic.

I don't understand the nasty insults you throw around to the org you claim to be a fan of. Let me clue you in on something, Blake, Luc, etc....they want to win just as badly as you do.

Maybe you can tone it down, be better. Think about if you'd actually have the balls to throw those words around if you were face to face with them.
Rittich is 5-1-3 during the swoon with a 2.09 GAA and a .925 SV%.

It isn't the defense that is the problem: it is the forwards and Talbot has been trash. Of course, it was insanely stupid to roll into a season relying on a Talbot/Copley combo and a plan that included not carrying a full roster.

I think it is easy to evaluate: they aren't as good as the first 25 and they aren't as bad as the last 25. So what does that make them? Well, pretty much the same team we've seen the last two seasons except Blake wheel and dealed himself into a position where he can't really fix it, not that anyone should trust him to fix it. I'm probably being kind when I say the same team since I'd take the post-Quick version from last year over this current roster: that's how bad PLD has been.

As for saying there have been a lot of games in this stretch where they were in a position to win, there were a lot that they were in a position to lose when they were ripping off wins. Even then, they weren't exactly faring well against good teams anyways.

His job is definitely on the line though, as it should be. You can't take another step backwards so missing the playoffs would be lights out. Even losing in six games again probably means he is done unless they go on a real heater the rest of this season and PLD is a big part of it.

Canning Faust was the best move the org did since hiring Dean Lombardi.

What the reality is that the team has been cursed since raising Blake's number to the rafters in 2015.
I like this. Been saying that for a long time now. We would need for him to be cancelled to be able to take it out of the rafters but it is pretty ridiculous that it is up there.

It is actually crazy that this guy has always had a home here no matter how he treated the team.

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
Rittich is 5-1-3 during the swoon with a 2.09 GAA and a .925 SV%.

It isn't the defense that is the problem: it is the forwards and Talbot has been trash. Of course, it was insanely stupid to roll into a season relying on a Talbot/Copley combo and a plan that included not carrying a full roster.

I think it is easy to evaluate: they aren't as good as the first 25 and they aren't as bad as the last 25. So what does that make them? Well, pretty much the same team we've seen the last two seasons except Blake wheel and dealed himself into a position where he can't really fix it, not that anyone should trust him to fix it. I'm probably being kind when I say the same team since I'd take the post-Quick version from last year over this current roster: that's how bad PLD has been.

As for saying there have been a lot of games in this stretch where they were in a position to win, there were a lot that they were in a position to lose when they were ripping off wins. Even then, they weren't exactly faring well against good teams anyways.

His job is definitely on the line though, as it should be. You can't take another step backwards so missing the playoffs would be lights out. Even losing in six games again probably means he is done unless they go on a real heater the rest of this season and PLD is a big part of it.

I like this. Been saying that for a long time now. We would need for him to be cancelled to be able to take it out of the rafters but it is pretty ridiculous that it is up there.

It is actually crazy that this guy has always had a home here no matter how he treated the team.

I take it that , that is just a feeling....nothing based on fact? Assuming you are talking about the first 25, wins over Winnipeg, Minnesota, Toronto, Vegas, Florida, Colorado, Calgary, then there are teams you can argue both sides for Arizona this year, Philly this year, St Louis?

But going to December 27th, that's 7 wins against quality teams, and another 5 against...those mid tier teams etc.....not sure if you can call that not faring well....

For example, VGS (EDM would be too easy) same time frame to the 27th of Dec, wins over Dallas, Winnipeg, Winnipeg, Colorado, Dallas, Vancouver, Dallas, Calgary, same time frame, 8 wins....vs....7 wins...

BigKing

Mar 11, 2003
Belmont Shore, CA
google.com
I take it that , that is just a feeling....nothing based on fact? Assuming you are talking about the first 25, wins over Winnipeg, Minnesota, Toronto, Vegas, Florida, Colorado, Calgary, then there are teams you can argue both sides for Arizona this year, Philly this year, St Louis?

But going to December 27th, that's 7 wins against quality teams, and another 5 against...those mid tier teams etc.....not sure if you can call that not faring well....

For example, VGS (EDM would be too easy) same time frame to the 27th of Dec, wins over Dallas, Winnipeg, Winnipeg, Colorado, Dallas, Vancouver, Dallas, Calgary, same time frame, 8 wins....vs....7 wins...
- What is quality?
- Were those teams listed "quality" when the Kings beat them? WPG 4-4-2 start of the season. No Makar for Colorado in the one win against them. Minnesota sucks. Florida is a nice win. Calgary sucks. Philly on the road is decent. Like, what are we doing here? Should the 2012 Avalanche boast about going 4-0 against the 2012 Kings when three of the four games were played on or before January 21st of that season?

Let's do the losses until the 27th of December:
Colorado, Carolina, Boston, Vegas, Pitt, Caps, Islanders, Rangers, Jets when they were good, Kraken.

Unimpressive wins to the 27th of December:
Winnipeg third game of the year, Minnesota, Arizona 3x, Ottawa, St. Louis, Anaheim, Montreal 2x, CBJ, Seattle, San Jose 2x, Calgary.

That's 15 of their 20 wins. If I give you Winnipeg, they have six quality wins out of 20 with quality meaning "you just beat a potential contender". If you are an all-in, capped-out team talking about making noise, you don't hang your hat on beating a WC team or worse.

Reactions: KINGS17

Brownie to Pancakes

Jul 1, 2012
CA
Look, the argument that 'the team played well early therefore they're not in big trouble' is bullshit.

1. History is littered with teams that burst out of the gate hot and fizzled, never regaining that form
2. Going from 'hot' to 'not' so dramatically is exactly what you would expect from a talented roster with dogshit coaching. The league figured the kings out, and Todd couldn't counterattack, because when has he ever?

The coaching change was the right move and it has given me some hope. But the first 25 games was overachievement and I don't think it's reasonable to expect that they will recreate it

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
- What is quality?
- Were those teams listed "quality" when the Kings beat them? WPG 4-4-2 start of the season. No Makar for Colorado in the one win against them. Minnesota sucks. Florida is a nice win. Calgary sucks. Philly on the road is decent. Like, what are we doing here? Should the 2012 Avalanche boast about going 4-0 against the 2012 Kings when three of the four games were played on or before January 21st of that season?

Let's do the losses until the 27th of December:
Colorado, Carolina, Boston, Vegas, Pitt, Caps, Islanders, Rangers, Jets when they were good, Kraken.

Unimpressive wins to the 27th of December:
Winnipeg third game of the year, Minnesota, Arizona 3x, Ottawa, St. Louis, Anaheim, Montreal 2x, CBJ, Seattle, San Jose 2x, Calgary.

That's 15 of their 20 wins. If I give you Winnipeg, they have six quality wins out of 20 with quality meaning "you just beat a potential contender". If you are an all-in, capped-out team talking about making noise, you don't hang your hat on beating a WC team or worse.

oh it's even better than that, i posted a site a few weeks back that tracked that strength at the time they played.

Kings were literally best in the league vs. the bottom 16 teams in the league

They were 5th from last vs. the top 16 teams.

And that was close to the beginning of January

It's not fun arguing with people with their heads in the sand. Just drop the fact let them twist themselves into pretzels rationalizing it.

BigKing

Mar 11, 2003
Belmont Shore, CA
google.com
Look, the argument that 'the team played well early therefore they're not in big trouble' is bullshit.

1. History is littered with teams that burst out of the gate hot and fizzled, never regaining that form
2. Going from 'hot' to 'not' so dramatically is exactly what you would expect from a talented roster with dogshit coaching. The league figured the kings out, and Todd couldn't counterattack, because when has he ever?

The coaching change was the right move and it has given me some hope. But the first 25 games was overachievement and I don't think it's reasonable to expect that they will recreate it
The other issue--and we see it in the playoffs--is that the guys playing the most on the team are f***ing ancient. Using GBH's 12/27 cut-off date, the Kings played 17 games in 34 days since then. The longest breaks were two days off between the Edmonton and Toronto home losses, two days off between home Detroit loss and then the road loss to Washington, and the two days between the St. Louis loss and Nashville win with the latter being a hang-on-for-dear life win by a team that looked gassed.

That's a game every other day average, Prior to that, dividing days by games played led to a game every 2.48 days. That adds up, especially when going from October 11th to December 27th. They had all those games in hand because they had a lighter load to start the year and then played catch up in January. They have 34 games left to play over 73 calendar days when using 2/1 as the start date for calendar days. February is pretty rough though with the upcoming road trip that sees them play every other day Buff/NJ/Boston and then at Pittsburgh the day after Boston. Then they have a travel day back home and play CBJ at home followed by NSH and ANA at home every other day. One travel day and then @ EDM, Calgary the very next night, travel day and @ Van.

That takes the team through 2/29. 11 games in 19 days with seven on the road.

This long break is very much needed for these old legs and the team in general but, holy shit man, the trade deadline is March 8th. Feel like Vancouver has the Kings number for awhile now and they get them on March 5th as well.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad