The Kings clinch a playoff spot!

kingsholygrail

We've made progress - Robitaille
Sponsor
Dec 21, 2006
Derpifornia
The Kings were the first of three Pacific team to clinch a playoff spot in 2012. They simply choked the division title away the last week.
I would argue they got screwed in that game against the Sharks when Clowe played the puck from the bench on a potential breakaway.

KingsHockey24

Aug 1, 2013
That’s still too much effort
Here you go you big cry baby.

SOL.png

bland

Jul 1, 2004
2012 was the same. Kings eked in as an 8th seed and played the president's trophy-winning Canucks
Not exactly true. They didn't eke in, they made the playoffs comfortably and were in contention for the divisional title until the last few games of the season. They quit on Terry Murray while Lombardi was waiting on Sutter, which is somewhat similar but the difference is an interim coach that changed nothing vs a top level coach coming in. It's best players were also in their prime.

That team was loaded with killers, had an elite checking line, and had a perfect balance on the blueline.

This team is relying on getting Vancouver to have any chance of getting into the second round.

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009
Not exactly true. They didn't eke in, they made the playoffs comfortably and were in contention for the divisional title until the last few games of the season. They quit on Terry Murray while Lombardi was waiting on Sutter, which is somewhat similar but the difference is an interim coach that changed nothing vs a top level coach coming in. It's best players were also in their prime.

That team was loaded with killers, had an elite checking line, and had a perfect balance on the blueline.

This team is relying on getting Vancouver to have any chance of getting into the second round.

They were 1st in the Pacific and 3rd in the West with two games remaining. Lost two straight to San Jose and the rest is history. That’s why the 8th place Cinderella run story never really sat well with me. It wouldn’t have been the same story if we were in third, and we had clinched a playoff birth a week or two earlier anyway.

Reactions: Trash Panda

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005

The Kings never quit on Terry Murray.

Maybe your definition of the word "quit" in this context is different than mine, but I hate when people say that.

Trash Panda

May 12, 2021

Maybe your definition of the word "quit" in this context is different than mine, but I hate when people say that.
I mean, the team went from being out of the playoff race, to one of the best teams in the west after the change.

They absolutely quit on Terry Murray.

Reactions: Papa Mocha 15

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
Why would that mean they quit?
Because despite the league-wide respect Kopitar gets from people who play with and against him, and the reverence Brown had internally with the org, their imperfect leadership styles apparently means they are not as good as everyone thinks they are, and they are the biggest reasons for when things are wrong with the Kings. Everything will be so much better when they are gone. Or something.

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
Can anyone remember the last time the Kings made the play offs and there was this much "meh?"

Is it a product of the stupidly raised expectations before the season?
I think the vast majority of posters around here experienced the cup winning seasons. Once you have that level of success, you become much harder to please.

Because despite the league-wide respect Kopitar gets from people who play with and against him, and the reverence Brown had internally with the org, their imperfect leadership styles apparently means they are not as good as everyone thinks they are, and they are the biggest reasons for when things are wrong with the Kings. Everything will be so much better when they are gone. Or something.
If anyone wants to know what quitting actually is, they can watch PLD. He's done it multiple times.

The 2012 team was the antithesis of quitters.

Last edited:
Reactions: mbar

bland

Jul 1, 2004

They ABSOLUTELY quit on Terry Murray.

You may never see a more obvious case of a team quitting on a coach than that.

bland

Jul 1, 2004

Yeah, the fact that teams with those players never got out of the first round before or after the brief three year period in which they actually were NOT the key leadership figures means nothing, eh?

Those players you mentioned were ingredients in those championships. Every time - LITERALLY EVERY TIME they had the opportunity to succeed without the real leaders they have failed to win even one series - if they even made the playoffs.

The proof is always in the pudding, yet you insist on translating this as an attack on their reputations instead of understanding the truth in that argument. Simple fact is that these were very good players, never great ones.

Statto

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 9, 2014
They ABSOLUTELY quit on Terry Murray.

You may never see a more obvious case of a team quitting on a coach than that.
I’m not replying in disagreement about your view more about leadership.

That roster was full of the ‘leadership’ many complain that Kopi does not provide as Captain. The criticism that Kopi, Brown and Doughty get for not being leaders and that the real leaders when we won were Williams, Richard’s, Mitchell, Greene, Stoll etc had always been unfair. That 2012 team apparently ’quit’ despite those great leaders… so they can’t have been that great if that was the case. My point really being that Kopi and Drew are unfairly criticised in that regard when it’s never down to 2-3 guys. The leadership needed needs to come from a collection of 6+ guys and even with that group people feel they quit on Murray. The issue with Kopi’s Captaincy is that he’s not got a strong (big enough) leadership group around him, consisting of the right blend of guys..

I do think there is a leadership hole in the roster but it’s things that no one person can embody. The likes of Thomas, Turcotte and Clarke will/may ultimately bring some of those elements. We also need a couple more true sandpaper guys that take PLD out back and have a ‘word’. I actually think that’s the biggest issue with the team, the lack of the right culture defining guys on the roster.

It still needs the right coach and voice and that’s what Sutter brought with him. The right message at the right time.

Anyway, a slight Segway… my apologies it’s just that the thread made all that pop into my head, so I needed to get it out. LOL.

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
Yeah, the fact that teams with those players never got out of the first round before or after the brief three year period in which they actually were NOT the key leadership figures means nothing, eh?

Those players you mentioned were ingredients in those championships. Every time - LITERALLY EVERY TIME they had the opportunity to succeed without the real leaders they have failed to win even one series - if they even made the playoffs.

The proof is always in the pudding, yet you insist on translating this as an attack on their reputations instead of understanding the truth in that argument. Simple fact is that these were very good players, never great ones.
Williams and Richards played for Terry Murray, too. So was Matt Greene and Jarrett Stoll. Guess they're also not real leaders who quit on Murray. Richards also must have quit on Ken Hitchcock and John Stevens in Philadelphia before he came back to be the Kings savior. Surprised they won a cup, let alone two, with such a ragtag group of leaderless misfits..

Kopitar's achievements are "only due to longevity." Top 50 in scoring all time "isn't great." Brow, a captain of a two-time cup-winning team, assistant captain for Olympic Silver "isn't great". Apparently Team USA didn't get the memo about how Brown quit on Murray when they re-invited him and gave him a letter again.

And you're pretending this isn't an attack on their reputation. That you're speaking some objective truth, when frankly, it's always been an opinion rooted in a long-time posting history of anti-Kopitar and anti-Brown rhetoric.

And I'm sure you'll respond with "criticism doesn't mean anti, and you saying that only shows how irrationally defensive and biased you are." I admit I'm biased. I think I have reasonable opinions, but I'm also biased towards myself.

This purported truth of the "fake leaders" quitting on Murray is as much a biased opinion as it's unreasonable.

My take, they're great but imperfect players. Feel free to keep minimizing their achievements though. But you're lying to yourself if you keep thinking your opinion is the gateway to fact and truth.

Nasti

Jan 30, 2006
Long Beach, CA
I think there is truth on both sides as far as Terry Murray goes. Yes, TM took them as far as he probably could. His system was very passive and became more and more of an issue as time went on and with a more talented roster. That team wasn’t built to be passive. But it’s at least somewhat true that the players quit on him too. There wouldn’t have been a reason for Lombardi to rip into the players the way he did after firing Murray if they weren’t at least somewhat responsible.

Reactions: SmytheKing

theMajor

Feb 9, 2012
Socal

they were well out of the playoff picture in january until late feb even after they got Carter at the TDL, early march they went on a tear and got in as the 8th seed. the sentiment around this board was extremely 'meh' which was better than the bed-shitting that went on that february. i created an account around that time cause i was sick of seeing all the complaining lmao

all the team had back then was defense and very few believed they'd get anywhere in the playoffs

remember these lines???

Dustin Brown - Anze Kopitar - Justin Williams

Dustin Penner - Mike Richards - Jeff Carter

Dwight King - Jarret Stoll - Trevor Lewis

Brad Richardson - Colin Fraser - Jordan Nolan

Rob Scuderi - Drew Doughty

Willie Mitchell - Slava Voynov

Alec Martinez - Matt Greene​

Reactions: FrozenKing18

Ad

Upcoming events

• Denmark vs Great Britain