The Kick It Off 2005 Draft Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anthony Mauro

DraftBuzz Hockey
Oct 3, 2004
www.draftbuzzhockey.com
Now that the lottery is scheduled to be on the 21st and the draft on the 30th, it is now finally going to happen!! This could be a thread for everything draft related. Talk about prospects, the lottery, the real draft...anything you want, its official!

My top ten:

1. Sidney Crosby - F -
2. Jack Johnson - D -
3. Gilbert Brule - F -
4. Benoit Pouliot - F -
5. Anze Kopitar - F -
6. Bobby Ryan - F -
7. Jack Skille - F -
8. Marc Staal - D -
9. Ryan O'Marra - F -
10. Carey Price - G -

*If someone wants to sticky this and change the title to Official 2005 Draft Thread please do so.

Anthony Mauro

DraftBuzz Hockey
Oct 3, 2004
www.draftbuzzhockey.com
That was just my top ten rankings, not predictions.

Everybody, put up your lists! Put up your sleepers, overrateds, underrateds. Top candidates to fall and rise!

A guy who I think will rise that will surprise HF'ers, but not the NHL world is Brodie Dupont. He gets rave reviews from everyone and a scaled down version of an Andrew Ladd most certainly could go second round.

borro

Oct 8, 2002
Texas
Visit site
I vote against thew CBA and boycott the draft if I am the Caps. Take it to court! We are completely hosed by greedy teams. They might as well wear a mask and carry a gun!

Wow, lets make some fans....

pit

5th Most Improved Poster
Jun 25, 2005
Toronto
borro said:
I vote against thew CBA and boycott the draft if I am the Caps. Take it to court! We are completely hosed by greedy teams. They might as well wear a mask and carry a gun!

I've posted this before but...

Between 1994 and 2004 the Capitals made the playoffs six our of ten years. Two of those trips took them to the division finals. I don't think that qualifies as a "have not".

Over the course of the 2003/2004 season the Capitals traded away Jaromir Jagr, Sergei Gonchar, Peter Bondra, Robert Lang, Michael Nylander, Mike Grier and Steve Konawalchuk. By stripping the team of its captain, a gritty third liner and its five biggest offensive threats the Capitals effectively torpedoed any chance of doing well that season and guaranteed themselves a top four pick. Through luck of the draw they managed to get the first overall pick. They also obtained two additional first round picks and a cadre of prospects in exchange for the talent they offloaded. So, for the price of having one poor year, the Capitals obtained:

Jakub Klepis (Grier)
Brooks Laich (Bondra)
2nd round pick 2005 (Bondra)
Thomas Fleischmann (Lang)
1st round pick 2004 - Mike Green, 29th overall (Lang)
4th round pick 2006 (Lang)
Jared Aulin (via Anson Carter from the Jagr trade)
Shaone Morrison (Gonchar)
1st round pick 2004 - Jeff Schultz, 27th overall (Gonchar)
2nd round pick 2004 - Michail Yunkov, 62nd overall (Gonchar)
2nd round pick 2006 (Nylander)

Plus the bonus of getting the first round pick for finishing last: Ovechkin.

So in addition to the potential bonanza of wealth the Capitals acquired for dismantling their team, the Capitals deserve a guaranteed top four pick in this draft as well? And in addition to this teams who put forth the effort to ice a competetive team in 2004/2005 are to be dropped back down to the bottom of the draft class? These teams sacrificed their recent prospects and picks (a must to succeed in the upcoming NHL). The players they gained were most likely lost to free agency at the end of last season or at the end of the locked out season because their contracts expired. And now these teams should be penalized in the first draft as well?

To me it makes no sense to reward a team twice for the same season, especially after the shameful firesale the Capitals had. It's like they quit their job, sunk all their money into the stock market, claimed they now "had no money" and went on welfare. Now they want to come back and get another year's welfare.

In my mind there is no team that can currently lay rightful claim to a high draft pick. Every team has their own obstacles currently and there is no one who is a clear cut contender coming into this next season. The lottery should be an equal chance for everyone. If they are weighting the draft, they should go back at least five years.

Chaos Giraffe

Dec 1, 2004
Vancouver
pit said:

Between 1994 and 2004 the Capitals made the playoffs six our of ten years. Two of those trips took them to the division finals. I don't think that qualifies as a "have not".

Over the course of the 2003/2004 season the Capitals traded away Jaromir Jagr, Sergei Gonchar, Peter Bondra, Robert Lang, Michael Nylander, Mike Grier and Steve Konawalchuk. By stripping the team of its captain, a gritty third liner and its five biggest offensive threats the Capitals effectively torpedoed any chance of doing well that season and guaranteed themselves a top four pick.

Amen.

Awesome well thought out post. Couldn't have said it better. :handclap:

borro

Oct 8, 2002
Texas
Visit site
pit said:

Over the course of the 2003/2004 season the Capitals traded away Jaromir Jagr, Sergei Gonchar, Peter Bondra, Robert Lang, Michael Nylander, Mike Grier and Steve Konawalchuk. By stripping the team of its captain, a gritty third liner and its five biggest offensive threats the Capitals effectively torpedoed any chance of doing well that season and guaranteed themselves a top four pick. Through luck of the draw they managed to get the first overall pick. They also obtained two additional first round picks and a cadre of prospects in exchange for the talent they offloaded. So, for the price of having one poor year, the Capitals obtained:

Jakub Klepis (Grier)
Brooks Laich (Bondra)

So in addition to the potential bonanza of wealth the Capitals acquired for dismantling their team, the Capitals deserve a guaranteed top four pick in this draft as well? And in addition to this teams who put forth the effort to ice a competetive team in 2004/2005 are to be dropped back down to the bottom of the draft class? These teams sacrificed their recent prospects and picks (a must to succeed in the upcoming NHL). The players they gained were most likely lost to free agency at the end of last season or at the end of the locked out season because their contracts expired. And now these teams should be penalized in the first draft as well?

To me it makes no sense to reward a team twice for the same season, especially after the shameful firesale the Capitals had. It's like they quit their job, sunk all their money into the stock market, claimed they now "had no money" and went on welfare. Now they want to come back and get another year's welfare.

In my mind there is no team that can currently lay rightful claim to a high draft pick. Every team has their own obstacles currently and there is no one who is a clear cut contender coming into this next season. The lottery should be an equal chance for everyone. If they are weighting the draft, they should go back at least five years.

Yes it makes much more sense to reward the Rangers who spent $60M on guys who could not play. Then lets reward pittsburgh for their part timing tanking best.

Epsilon

#basta
Oct 26, 2002
South Cackalacky
borro said:

How are those grapes tasting? :p:

Chaos Giraffe

Dec 1, 2004
Vancouver
borro said:
Yes it makes much more sense to reward the Rangers who spent $60M on guys who could not play. Then lets reward pittsburgh for their part timing tanking best.

Neither of those teams have been rewarded. Please, wake up.

borro

Oct 8, 2002
Texas
Visit site
Brule said:
Neither of those teams have been rewarded. Please, wake up.

You WAKE UP BUBBA...The Rangers finish with a better record than the Caps in the last season played and they have a 3x shot at Croby. WHY???????? There is no answer I will accept.

Pittsburgh??? Noted tankers have 3x chance of us to get crosby? Thats just wrong.

Oh Im sure you'd love it if Vancouver was hosed. there is no legal precedent. i hope we sue.

It is on ORDER OF FINISH FROM THE LAST SEASON.

It took this long for this terrible an idea? I could have done this in 5 minutes.

Captain Conservative

Apr 1, 2004
My Blue Heaven
borro said:

Oh come on. Stop being so melodramatic.

We have a rich owner, a great GM, and the best group of prospects in the league. We'll do great.

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002
borro said:
You WAKE UP BUBBA...The Rangers finish with a better record than the Caps in the last season played and they have a 3x shot at Croby. WHY???????? There is no answer I will accept.

Pittsburgh??? Noted tankers have 3x chance of us to get crosby? Thats just wrong.

Oh Im sure you'd love it if Vancouver was hosed. there is no legal precedent. i hope we sue.

It is on ORDER OF FINISH FROM THE LAST SEASON.

It took this long for this terrible an idea? I could have done this in 5 minutes.
Ugh... one phenom isn't enough? With a 1 in 48 chance at another.

I think the words of the immortal Chandler Bing are relevant here: "Oh no, two women love me. They're both gorgeous and sexy, my wallet's too small for my fifties, and my diamond shoes are too tight!"

Crosbyfan

Nov 27, 2003
It just seems wrong that winning Ovechkin costs you a 1/48 chance at Crosby. :nopity:

BobMarleyNYR

Rangers future on D
May 2, 2004
Alphabet
pit said:

Jakub Klepis (Grier)
Brooks Laich (Bondra)

EXACTLY! Caps fans can whine all they want, the fact of the matter is that they're new to the world of sucking... in they're entire existence the Caps are net winners and I REALLY don't want to see them in the top 5.

kruezer

Apr 21, 2002
North Bay
Hedberg16 said:
7 rounds is stupid. They've already cut it down from 11.
May as well cut it down even further IMO. If you want more minor leaguers with outside shots at the pros, just sign them, its not like the disappear.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
Borro, lots of things have changed since the last played season, and one of them was Washington getting a steal of a 1st overall pick and ovechkin. Isnt one phenom enough? Im sick of people complaining about how their team "deserves" to win a draft. That is a load of ****. I agree with pit on this, washington has given away so much and has been rewarded with A TON of draft picks. They probably had the most draft selections of any team in the last year. And they have more on the way.

Gwyddbwyll

Dec 24, 2002
Pittsburgh hardly tanked last season - in fact didnt they do the opposite..? I remember them getting better and better and actually had one of the best records over the final weeks which makes a mockery of that claim.

Anthony Mauro

DraftBuzz Hockey
Oct 3, 2004
www.draftbuzzhockey.com
Gwyddbwyll said:
Pittsburgh hardly tanked last season - in fact didnt they do the opposite..? I remember them getting better and better and actually had one of the best records over the final weeks which makes a mockery of that claim.

This is true, I always hear people saying they tanked it but I don't buy it. Malone and co. turned it on and became a really competitive team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad