Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Ryan O'Rourke

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Messrules11

6 Cups, elbows up.
Nov 23, 2018
I'm not really going to fault a GM for not tricking another team into taking a player with a chronic illness.

Seems shady AF. Let's have some class.
Every team gives a medical. There’s nothing shady about it.

The object is to win.

McDoused

Feb 5, 2007
Katy <3
When was the last time a defenceman from the WHL was drafted with Guhles point production?

Reinhart - 0.62 PPG (36 points in 58 games)
Guhle - 0.625 PPG (40 points in 64 games)

Thomson - 0.65 (41 points in 63 games)
Jokiharju - 0.676 PPG (48 points in 71 games)
Schneider- 0.7 PPG (42 points in 60 games)
Johansen - 0.71 PPG (49 points in 69 games)
Foote - 0.80 PPG (57 points in 71 games)
Alexeyev - 0.82 PPG (37 points in 45 games)
Pouliot - 0.819 PPG (59 points in 72 games)
Dumba - 0.826 PPG (57 points in 69 games)
Bean - 0.941 (64 points in 68 games)
Rielly - 1.0 PPG (18 points in 18 games)
Valimaki - 1.02 PPG (61 points in 60 games)
Smith - 1.06 (73 points in 69 games)
Byram - 1.06 PPG (71 points in 67 games)

The last WHL defenceman with Guhles point production in the 1st round was Griffin Reinhart.

Mic drop.

Last edited:

McDoused

Feb 5, 2007
Katy <3
Every team gives a medical. There’s nothing shady about it.

The object is to win.

If Holland knowingly traded a player as "healthy" without disclosing that medical information, I'm pretty sure that would open himself and the organization up to investigation and possible penalties.

Smartguy

May 3, 2010
Edmonton
When was the last time a defenceman from the WHL was drafted with Guhles point production?

The last WHL defenceman with Guhles point production in the 1st round was Griffin Reinhart.

Mic drop.
Honestly I think Guhle gets around the ice better than Reinhart, even at the same age. IMO Reinhart could think the game at a very high level, had a solid first pass out of the zone, wasn’t nearly as physical as Guhle seems to be. The difference being Reinhart was undoubtedly the slowest player in the NHL. Watching him get blown by regularily was a sight to see, he would have like a 10 foot gap while the player was leaving their defending zone and be beat wide before getting back to his defending zone.

Outside of the point production I don’t really see the comparable.

With that said I was thrilled to hear that Holland won’t be drafting a defenseman unless it’s one who is very high up their list, which will not be Guhle.

The fact that Reinhart was cut from an AHL team before the age of 25 tells you all you need to know about that pick

Reactions: B33K33PING

McDoused

Feb 5, 2007
Katy <3
Honestly I think Guhle gets around the ice better than Reinhart, even at the same age. IMO Reinhart could think the game at a very high level, had a solid first pass out of the zone, wasn’t nearly as physical as Guhle seems to be. The difference being Reinhart was undoubtedly the slowest player in the NHL. Watching him get blown by regularily was a sight to see, he would have like a 10 foot gap while the player was leaving their defending zone and be beat wide before getting back to his defending zone.

With that said I was thrilled to hear that Holland won’t be drafting a defenseman unless it’s one who is very high up their list, which will not be Guhle.

The fact that Reinhart was cut from an AHL team before the age of 25 tells you all you need to know about that pick

I never said that they play the same style of game. The fact that Guhle didnt produce in juniors is alarming to say the least.

Anyways, not company you want to be grouped with.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017

I mean there are a few scouts that have Guhle in the top 10. Oilers could be thinking the same.

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002
I wouldn’t be terribly surprised if Lundell is someone Holland and Wright like.

I don’t think he’s necessarily a lock for the top 13 anymore.

Reactions: nally

Pass the Saitl Sauce

Apr 30, 2015
I have a feeling there’s a good chance one of Holtz, Jarvis, Quinn and Askarov will be there at 14 and if not Mercer would be my back up plan

Reactions: Aerchon

Delicious Pancakes

Top Pocket Find
Apr 23, 2012
Home
There is now greater than 50 percent chance that we either trade down or trade away the pick now.....
Jarvis or bust?

Holland said he sees the team making the pick at #14 and doesn't see them drafting a defenseman. Nothing has happened to change that. Pronman isn't exactly an Oilers insider so I wouldn't put a lot of stock into his crystal ball gazing.

Reactions: McTonyBrar

Pass the Saitl Sauce

Apr 30, 2015

I think Lundell being one of the only natural centres after Byfield and Stutzle keeps him in the top 13. Seems to be off to a good start on his season too

Reactions: nally and McDoused

Smartguy

May 3, 2010
Edmonton

I’m honestly pumped to watch this tomorrow, I personally think it’s going to be like last year and turn into a **** show after the top 5. I just hope the NHL can produce it well under the circumstances.

I think the whole COVID situation and not being on the draft floor is going to

1. Make it so teams all have very different lists.

And

2. Make it next to impossible for insiders to get some info on who teams are talking about picking

The fact that a goalie is also in the mix as an absolute wildcard should make things interesting

gordonhught

Feb 18, 2009

Mic drop.

yeah but guhle skates a lot better - a lot

Paralyzer008

Jan 30, 2008
I think there's some overthinking for sure.

Stauffer picked Jarvis in the Mock Draft on their website. Unless Askarov magically falls, which I don't see occurring, Jarvis is our man.

Now, if Jarvis is taken before us? That's when I will have no idea where we lean.

Reactions: McTonyBrar

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
Stauffer has been asking every other person on his show the last week or so whether size is "less of an issue than it used to be", and has been pumping Jarvis's tires significantly. He also has been quite disparaging of Holloway.

I get the sense that Jarvis is the guy they're targeting at 14, and if he or Quinn are there they'll make the pick. If those two are gone I think they trade down.

I have a feeling there’s a good chance one of Holtz, Jarvis, Quinn and Askarov will be there at 14 and if not Mercer would be my back up plan

@B33K33PING I still have not got a great feel for this draft. Probably going to be one of the most straight forward drafts just because that works against the Oilers. But what I have put together falls in line exactly as B33 posted.

Mercer is still worth the 14OA and barring a drop of a spot or maybe 2 with great Intel he will be gone in the teens.

If the draft plays out like most do the Oilers should have at least 2 worthy 14 OA ranked to choose from. So many teams have wildly different lists and go off the board hunting centers or defense. High tier goalies also typically fall but I don't think Askarov makes it to us. And if he does the Oilers may have a big decision. I take Askarov myself. A gamble but a good one with the 14OA.

MCMIL OIL

Oct 19, 2011
Cochrane AB
@B33K33PING I still have not got a great feel for this draft. Probably going to be one of the most straight forward drafts just because that works against the Oilers. But what I have put together falls in line exactly as B33 posted.

Mercer is still worth the 14OA and barring a drop of a spot or maybe 2 with great Intel he will be gone in the teens.

If the draft plays out like most do the Oilers should have at least 2 worthy 14 OA ranked to choose from. So many teams have wildly different lists and go off the board hunting centers or defense. High tier goalies also typically fall but I don't think Askarov makes it to us. And if he does the Oilers may have a big decision. I take Askarov myself. A gamble but a good one with the 14OA.

I looked back at the last 5 drafts, and every year 1 or 2 sneak in the top 12 outside the top 15 concensus rankigs. However i total agree with you this would be the year it doesnt happen. Funny part is the consensus rankings this year are close to exactly how you would think it should shake out. Tbh Mercer or Amirov interest me alot.. and I'd take a flyer on both if the big 13 went.

Reactions: Aerchon

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad