Speculation: The James Reimer conundrum

Nylanderthal

Jun 9, 2010
So someone who watches the plays and then makes up his mind about what happened is an apologist? Are you for real? Seriously...are you really that dumb?

Watch the damned video and you will clearly see that Franson stopped Reimer from moving to his right. It is clear as day to anyone whose vision isn't clouded by a preconceived bias.

I've watched it numerous times and no he doesn't, he makes contact with Cody AFTER the puck is by him, I'm not sure what replay your watching but that was as clear as can be shot that he simply missed.
Edit: just used my gamecenter app to watch it again and again and nope, sorry hoss but, Reims isn't tangled up or impeded by franson at all. He simply wiffs

ITM

Out on the front line, don't worry I'll be fine...
Jan 26, 2012
A weird proposal, I know...

Why not trying with Martin Gerber as a veteran backup? He's still a good gk.
Look at his performances at the WC. Also his stats in Sweden and KHL weren't bad.
http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=92

Maybe I am too biased here, due to his nationality. ;)

From the image/caption to the proposal and possible irony therein...Maybe it's a Swiss thing, but I'm missing it...:amazed:

Last edited:

SwissLeaf

Feb 6, 2012
Yes, it wasn't 100% serious... :D but I'd love to see a Swiss guy with the Leafs and Gerber impressed me yesterday. ;)

HellasLEAF

'93 to Infinity
Sep 14, 2006
do you guys think Reimer can lead us to a cup?

I'm almost convinced. But there is still doubt. I think he can give the team a chance to win it but won't provide the type of goaltending we seen out of say Quick. He will be something more like what Niemi gave Chicago.

So either this team gets better around him or Reimer cleans up some of his weaknesses and he does have them.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
Here is the thing:
You can win championships with not quite there goaltending.

(I'm not saying that I think Reimer is not quite there. He can improve). All you need is a goaltender to get "hot" at the right time and then anything can happen. But I keep remembering one of the championships that Detroit won - it could even very well be the last one, when Osgoode was in net. EVERYONE (Media, fans, etc) were down on the guy, because he wasn't super duper solid. But he didn't have to be. the entire team was good enough to win.

So basically, if the team is good, and believe in the system that Randy (or whomever) puts in, then it should be a moot point if "Reimer" can lead us to the Cup. maybe he just needs to be solid enough to give the team the chance.

ITM

Out on the front line, don't worry I'll be fine...
Jan 26, 2012

I'm almost convinced. But there is still doubt. I think he can give the team a chance to win it but won't provide the type of goaltending we seen out of say Quick. He will be something more like what Niemi gave Chicago.

So either this team gets better around him or Reimer cleans up some of his weaknesses and he does have them.

Game 1 aside, Reimer was solid. In two games he was outright menacing. The game that he couldn't battle through, in a way, mirrored the first game, in that Game 7 was a first. Reimer hadn't faced a game in which his performance was the direct difference between advancing or not. The good news is, in keeping with the rest of his learning curve -- which he's addressed as well as can be expected -- is that now he knows.

And let's be clear, two of those goals were with six skaters out...Not six skaters from the Florida Panthers, six skaters from a recent Stanley Cup champion.

James Reimer absolutely can lead us to a Cup.

And if the family like atmosphere continuing to build in the Toronto room is any indication...The club thinks he can too.

The interesting part of all of this is, Reimer calls Scrivens a better technical goalie. And Scivens who seems entirely determined to fulfill his role with the club, might be just as good, potential-wise, as Reimer.

I'll tell ya...I haven't seen this kind of top to bottom cohesion, with such a young club in Toronto...Ever...

Bright days ahead.

Parkdale

Jan 14, 2013
Toronto
My only red flag with Reimer going forward is the injury factor. But this concern really exists with any goalie. I would be looking to an upgrade in the backup position. Either Scrivens has to develop more consistency or we get another backup goalie...doesn't have to be a "veteran" either. Luongo brings nothing to the table imo from a toxic contract and age perspective.

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph
I'm not even convinced we need a backup goalie. Scrivens couldn't buy a win, but he had a save percentage of .915 and GAA of 2.69. Other than Reimer, than is, by far, the best goaltending we've had since Belfour.

I don't see the need for a goaltender of any kind, really, unless we just want some depth to play behind the both of them.

Yosho

Logic
Mar 30, 2010
Kitchener, ON
The slag Reimer is getting from fans and media is truly unsettling. This guy has proven himself throughout this season and in the playoffs. The teams elimination is FAR FAR FAR from a goaltending issue.

People need to stop listening to Glen Healy and his irrational criticisms. Without Reimer, this team doesn't sniff the playoffs.

Myke

Jun 9, 2006
Toronto/Ottawa
www.myke.org
There is no conundrum in net. Only on the defensive end.

Reimer has posted top goaltending numbers this year and has carried over that play into his first NHL post season. He's 25-years-old people, and we've gone YEARS in search of a goalie coming even CLOSE to touching what Reimer has done of this team..but we want better? Sure I'd love to have the best goaltender in the game, but that's not happening. He averaged what 40 shots a game this series? This guy was not the issue. Sure he can tighten up here and there, but what goalie can't?

The last place I'm looking to fix on this team is in net. First place is investing more in D that can play quality tough minutes and not rely on Phaneuf to do everything on the backend.

Ding Ding Ding. We have a winner. This is exactly it; Reimer has turned into the goalie we were looking for and has given this team the ability to focus on fixing the other glaring holes in this lineup.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
So - do we get a backup goalie, to let Scrivy really, really work on his game more?

Alflives*

Good post. The question though: Can Reimer fix his weaknesses? Even an excellent team like Pitsburgh needed to change goalies, when their guy couldn't stop a beachball.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002

I said it earlier, but the conversation about Reimer is a little bit concerning, to be honest. Not that I don't have faith in Reimer after this season, because he showed some flashes of brilliance, mettle under pressure and whatnot in that brief series, but with top end goalies, the conversation usually doesn't involve some systematic flaw in their game like "he can't catch a puck". But whatever, it's a work in progress and you can win a cup with a Patrick Roy or an Antti Niemi.

On the other hand, how ****** did it feel watching Tuukka Rask out there? The guy is like a technically perfect goalie as you'll see and he has ice in his veins.

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
Here is the thing:
You can win championships with not quite there goaltending.

(I'm not saying that I think Reimer is not quite there. He can improve). All you need is a goaltender to get "hot" at the right time and then anything can happen. But I keep remembering one of the championships that Detroit won - it could even very well be the last one, when Osgoode was in net. EVERYONE (Media, fans, etc) were down on the guy, because he wasn't super duper solid. But he didn't have to be. the entire team was good enough to win.

So basically, if the team is good, and believe in the system that Randy (or whomever) puts in, then it should be a moot point if "Reimer" can lead us to the Cup. maybe he just needs to be solid enough to give the team the chance.

I agree. Get Reimer to work on rebound control and puck handling....but more importantly, shore up the D so they can clear the zone and keep the shots against down and we are fine.

colchar

Apr 26, 2012
I've watched it numerous times and no he doesn't, he makes contact with Cody AFTER the puck is by him, I'm not sure what replay your watching but that was as clear as can be shot that he simply missed.

Edit: just used my gamecenter app to watch it again and again and nope, sorry hoss but, Reims isn't tangled up or impeded by franson at all. He simply wiffs

Bull. Watch the video from the camera behind the net and it is abundantly clear that he makes contact with Franson's skate as he goes to his right and that it stops him in his tracks before the puck goes in. But I doubt you would admit that even if you were standing on the ice next to them as the play developed because you are so ridiculously biased that you are incapable of objectivity.

colchar

Apr 26, 2012

There is no way to answer that yet. He might be able to, he might not. In addition to improving the defence they need a veteran backup.

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002
Reimer is better than Luongo.

There is no conundrum. Vancouver has the huge conundrum. With Nonnis asking for 2 first rounders in the Luongo deal, Gillis is over a barrel. So what happens ,Vancouver fans come on here creating a so called conundrum. A vet goalie can be had cheap at any point in the season and Reimer is a growing,young, number one goalie. Poor Gillis,what a conundrum!

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
I said it earlier, but the conversation about Reimer is a little bit concerning, to be honest. Not that I don't have faith in Reimer after this season, because he showed some flashes of brilliance, mettle under pressure and whatnot in that brief series, but with top end goalies, the conversation usually doesn't involve some systematic flaw in their game like "he can't catch a puck". But whatever, it's a work in progress and you can win a cup with a Patrick Roy or an Antti Niemi.

On the other hand, how ****** did it feel watching Tuukka Rask out there? The guy is like a technically perfect goalie as you'll see and he has ice in his veins
And yet at the end of the series, both goalies had the same save % (.923), which suggests to me that the Leaf's problem lies elsewhere.

I agree. Get Reimer to work on rebound control and puck handling....but more importantly, shore up the D so they can clear the zone and keep the shots against down and we are fine.
Yup. Reimer seems to be a hard worker who wants to be better and he certainly responded to Carlyle's challenge in game 5 to steal one. I think there is an excellent chance he will continue to improve.

bobg1

Sep 21, 2006
bc
I'm actually at a loss right now thinking about what to think of him.
I'll be the first to say he had a great year overall this year and without him we would have not been in OT of a Game Seven this year.
I was a big skeptic of him ever since he first got the call up and played out of his mind the last half of the year his first season in the league...then thinking I was correct with my assumption seeing how bad he played last year.

Looking back at this playoffs..You can recall how he stands on his head in games 5 and 6..but can also remember The Game 4 OT goal and then the last night collapse.

My point is..Do any of you feel the same way I do? That he'll always be the guy who has the ability to play great..but I never quite trust..(Rebound Control..eek)

Do you think he's a guy we could actually win a cup with?
Would we be in the second round right now with an Elite Goalie?

How can you blame the loss on Reimer? It was the result of a young,inexperienced hockey team.

EDDIE20*

I say let Reimer live and learn. He's a professional and will bounce back.

Bringing in a veteran backup might be an idea but they don't exactly grown on trees right now.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad