The identity of the Oilers: What is it?

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
As the Oilers plod their way to another disappointing loss I can't help but wonder what the identity of this team is. They're not fast, skilled, or hard working. They hit a lot but it doesn't seem to be more than just bumps. They don't seem to intimidate other teams. They can't outskate anyone. They have skill down the middle but basically nowhere else. I don't know what kind of team was assembled this year other than just poor and disappointing.

What does this team even excel at besides losing?

BudBundy

May 16, 2005
Is this a trick question or is “a shitty hockey team” sufficient?

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
They took advantage of the last year where you could really get by with a slower roster. Now the league has really moved on to speed and skill and they sorely lack both.

Reactions: dawunderboy

Kreator

Feb 18, 2017
Who knows what identity they have. Whatever it is, it still has the stench of Kevin Lowe eminating from all orifaces.

Porkleaker

Mar 19, 2017
Onterrible
They've hit a lot, usually outshout their opponents have some speed on some lines but special teams have sucked though that's also because the lack of depth and huge amount of pressure coming in to the season, which is on management for failing to address. I'd say the cancer is wide spread.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
At this point in time whatever identity TMac is trying to instill is not present or showing up on the ice.

They are back into “All We Have To Do Is Show Up and We Win” mode which is what for them into this mess in the first place in games 2-5.

That is disturbing as it’s an indictment of the players who simply aren’t prepared to make the commitment and sacrifices necessary to be a consistent winner.

Aerrol

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Sep 18, 2014
I've posted here before, but the problem is Chia picked a weird 'hybrid' design for the team - half speed and skill, half heavy boardwork and physicality. It came together last year, and fell back to earth this year.

Yet again we have a GM who thinks he's smarter than the rest of the league and it's blowing up in his face.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
I've posted here before, but the problem is Chia picked a weird 'hybrid' design for the team - half speed and skill, half heavy boardwork and physicality. It came together last year, and fell back to earth this year.

Yet again we have a GM who thinks he's smarter than the rest of the league and it's blowing up in his face.

Why can't we just get a normal f***ing GM for once. Make sensible damn trades. Manage assets, even if they're not performing well at the moment well. Don't look off talented kids when they freaking fall into your lap at the draft.

Aerrol

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Sep 18, 2014
Why can't we just get a normal ****ing GM for once. Make sensible damn trades. Manage assets, even if they're not performing well at the moment well. Don't look off talented kids when they freaking fall into your lap at the draft.

Right? We've sucked for so long we really didn't need to make that many GM moves... Just get a better coach and improve our scouting and development.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
They are a strong transition team with a defense that is good at puck retrieval and transition.

However they are poor at zone control and special teams. Puck cycling is weak. The defense is perhaps league-worst at supporting the offense, mostly when it comes to shooting but in all other categories as well.

Another strength would be at center. At wing they are average or maybe below average.

The main problem with the team is that the weaknesses are so definite that we are very easy to pick apart if the other team forces the issue

Reactions: dawunderboy

Aerrol

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Sep 18, 2014
They are a strong transition team with a defense that is good at puck retrieval and transition.

However they are poor at zone control and special teams. Puck cycling is weak. The defense is perhaps league-worst at supporting the offense, mostly when it comes to shooting but in all other categories as well.

Another strength would be at center. At wing they are average or maybe below average.

The main problem with the team is that the weaknesses are so definite that we are very easy to pick apart if the other team forces the issue

They are NOT a strong transition team. Being strong at transitioning requires having a defence that can actually move the puck. Having two forwards who are amazing at carrying it out isn't good enough.

Reactions: Drivesaitl

ujju2

Apr 9, 2016
Edmonton, AB

Disagree. I like the speed/size hybrid. Winnipeg has the right idea. But our problem is that half of our players are big, and the other half are fast. JP is the only one who has both. We need more of that.

ujju2

Apr 9, 2016
Edmonton, AB
They are NOT a strong transition team. Being strong at transitioning requires having a defence that can actually move the puck. Having two forwards who are amazing at carrying it out isn't good enough.

I'd say we have 4 great forwards to move the puck out, but you are right.

Reactions: Aerrol

Aerrol

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Sep 18, 2014
Disagree. I like the speed/size hybrid. Winnipeg has the right idea. But our problem is that half of our players are big, and the other half are fast. JP is the only one who has both. We need more of that.

We'll see if Winnipeg can sustain it, but if you ARE going to try for it, I agree. Your players need to be big AND fast. Not just a bizarro mix of the two.

Reactions: ujju2

ujju2

Apr 9, 2016
Edmonton, AB
We'll see if Winnipeg can sustain it, but if you ARE going to try for it, I agree. Your players need to be big AND fast. Not just a bizarro mix of the two.

Washington was pretty successful with a similar setup a few years ago as well. Keep in mind, Ovi's my favourite non-Oiler, so I do really like the size-speed-shot combo. A fast and heavy team allows you to run an aggressive system with a heavy forecheck. I guess Kassian also has that combo, but he's been invisible. Caggiula is fast and plays big, but he's really just a 4th liner.

Reactions: Aerrol

Aerrol

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Sep 18, 2014
Washington was pretty successful with a similar setup a few years ago as well. Keep in mind, Ovi's my favourite non-Oiler, so I do really like the size-speed-shot combo. A fast and heavy team allows you to run an aggressive system with a heavy forecheck. I guess Kassian also has that combo, but he's been invisible. Caggiula is fast and plays big, but he's really just a 4th liner.

Haha, and I'm a pens fan (Malkin especially ;) ), so I prefer the pure speed build they went for.

But even that rendition of the Caps I'd argue was a cycling team (ala the Peak Sharks) more than a big punishing team.

NotAVacuumSalesman

The Guide And Record Book™
Jun 19, 2017
Here, I'm going to nail this one.
It's the Hey, if your backup goalie needs a win come play us identity. If we're feeling generous he may even get a shutout.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad