The Hockey News Future Watch 2024

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Anyone find a copy on newsstands anywhere? Seems that shoppers drug mart and Indigo don’t carry THN anymore…

It's probably worse out here in California. After looking up my old photos, the 2022 Future Watch didn't pop up at my newsstand until late April.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
Completely shocked that Stankoven isn't top 15. I'd have him top 3 among the forwards.
Why anyone would waste their money on the Hockey News is beyond me.

Anyone find a copy on newsstands anywhere? Seems that shoppers drug mart and Indigo don’t carry THN anymore…
Ha, ha. TBH, when I used (past tense) to read THN, that is where I got it.

• Haha
Reactions: Lavar Ball

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Completely shocked that Stankoven isn't top 15. I'd have him top 3 among the forwards.

He's not that far off on their list. Since they do the polling right after the WJC, there seems to be some recency bias in past years to players who participated.

1711053763386.png

Their ranking process has varied over time. I remember the year where Alex Pietrangelo was the #1 ranked prospect, half of the respondents didn't have him in their top 5. It's not like they locked a bunch of scouts in a room and there was consensus with each pick. If there was that much variance with a top guy like Pietrangelo in 2010, I could only imagine how different the opinions were further down the line.

This Future Watch the text says they asked a scout from each team to participate and submit a top 60. So presumably they had 32 different rankings to sort through. That's a lot of varying opinions to spit out a composite list.

Sometimes I feel like there's a bigger perceived gap between being #15 and #25 than there really is. Almost like it's out of a scene from Spinal Tap.

There was a good blurb from one of Bob McKenzie's rankings years ago. Something to the effect of one of the respondents providing a list with the caveat "We're picking in the 20s, we're not going to spend that much time debating the top 5." So you never quite know how much effort somebody put into the list they provided back to THN.

Last edited:

MitchMurphy

Nov 29, 2017
It's probably worse out here in California. After looking up my old photos, the 2022 Future Watch didn't pop up at my newsstand until late April.
Same, I’m in California too. I use to always get it at Barnes and noble. They didn’t even have it there last year.

Bear of Bad News

Your Third or Fourth Favorite HFBoards Admin
Sep 27, 2005
Why anyone would waste their money on the Hockey News is beyond me.

Nothing cooler than coming into a thread where the topic is obvious and there’s a lively discussion, only to brag about how beneath you the topic is.

Next stop - head over to the TV forum and tell everyone how you don’t own one, and read books.

Seriously - let people enjoy the thread.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad