The Hockey News annual Top 50 Player rankings for 2023-2024

Habsfan18

The Hockey Library
May 13, 2003
Ontario
THN’s Yearbook just arrived in my mailbox today, and as an annual tradition so did their annual ranking of the top players in the NHL.

Due to copyright (and site) rules, I’m unable to post the entire list. But I will post the top 15 for discussion purposes. Please purchase a copy on newsstands or digitally (through zinio for example) if you would like to see the full list and read the blurbs for each player.

1. Connor McDavid
2. Cale Makar
3. Leon Draisaitl
4. Nathan MacKinnon
5. Auston Matthews
6. David Pastrnak
7. Matthew Tkachuk
8. Adam Fox
9. Jack Hughes
10. Andrei Vasilevskiy

11. Jason Robertson
12. Sidney Crosby
13. Roope Hintz
14. Mark Stone
15. Jack Eichel

Thoughts? These are always sure to cause debates and ruffle feathers.

Midnight Judges

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2010
There is no rationale for Sidney Crosby to be ranked ahead of players who are better offensively over the past 2 seasons, and significantly younger, while also contributing more than Crosby defensively and on the PK.

But you do you Canada.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
Kucherov not in the top 15 is absolutely ridiculous. He is definitely the best winger in the game - and is in the same tier of Makar/Mack/Matthews/Drai for slots 2-6 in some order.

Hintz, Stone and Eichel are all way too high - rest looks kind of ok.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
There is no rationale for Sidney Crosby to be ranked ahead of players who are better offensively over the past 2 seasons, and significantly younger, while also contributing more than Crosby defensively and on the PK.

But you do you Canada.

There is no rationale for complaining about Sidney Crosby's placement on this list when Hintz is ranked 13th, Stone is ranked 14th, and Kucherov isn't ranked at all.

But you do you Midnight Judges.

Three On Zero

Deranged Oreo Dolphin Parking Instructor
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012
Vasi at 10 is a head scratcher.

Matthews at 5 is going to add some coals to the contract discussion fire

Reactions: vshun and DFC

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020
Someone needs to explain to me how Stone is better than Marner. Marner selke finalist with 99 points. Stone can barely play due to his back. I know he likely gets a "won a cup overrated" bump but come on.

Also funny how Matthews can be absolutely elite and by far and away best goal scorer in the league for 3 straight seasons after already having the highest goal / game since entering the league, and all it takes is 1 underwhelming season he was hurt (and still scored 40 goals and 85 points in 74 games) and people pretend he is a scrub. The salt is real with Matthews.

nowhereman

Jan 24, 2010
Los Angeles

But you do you Canada.
Right on cue.

I gotta' give it to you – you're like a Swiss watch when it comes to taking shots at Sidney Crosby. His ranking is the least of this list's problems.

Last edited:

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
Someone needs to explain to me how Stone is better than Marner. Marner selke finalist with 99 points. Stone can barely play due to his back. I know he likely gets a "won a cup overrated" bump but come on.

Also funny how Matthews can be absolutely elite and by far and away best goal scorer in the league for 3 straight seasons after already having the highest goal / game since entering the league, and all it takes is 1 underwhelming season he was hurt (and still scored 40 goals and 85 points in 74 games) and people pretend he is a scrub. The salt is real with Matthews.

Yea, who cares about leadership and grit? Marner has none. Why would anyone rank a scared boy in the top 15 players?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad