The hawks big addition center scott gomez

HockeySauce

Jan 26, 2011
He's FAR WORSE than Connolly has been the past couple years, I'd much rather take on 48 games of that contract than give Gomez 5 games.

He was far worse than Connolly last year, not the year before. I don't know how any fan would rather be locked in with Connolly's contract, 4.75M, for the entire year rather than sign Gomez for under 1.5M and if he doesn't work, simply waive him and let another team pick him up. There is no downside to signing Gomez. None. There's significant downside to bringing in Connolly, in that, you're stuck with that caphit against your team for the entire season, whether you send him down or not, and he's not going to be picked up off waivers, as was proven today.

Sevanston

Dec 27, 2009
NYC
If we do go after Gomez, I'd be interested to know if Pierre Gauthier had anything to do with it.

Of course, people might just point to both Gauthier and Gomez and say we're taking on Montreal's trash. :sarcasm:

deytookerjaabs

Johnny Paycheck's Tank Advisor
Sep 26, 2010
Eastern Shore
He was far worse than Connolly last year, not the year before. I don't know how any fan would rather be locked in with Connolly's contract, 4.75M, for the entire year rather than sign Gomez for under 1.5M and if he doesn't work, simply waive him and let another team pick him up. There is no downside to signing Gomez. None. There's significant downside to bringing in Connolly, in that, you're stuck with that caphit against your team for the entire season, whether you send him down or not, and he's not going to be picked up off waivers, as was proven today.

Yeah, that's Connolly's cap hit but in a 48 game season wouldn't he be paid more like 3 mil? Plus, I have a sick feeling that some wacko GM will take a chance for one year on Gomez over 2 mil.

HockeySauce

Jan 26, 2011
Yeah, that's Connolly's cap hit but in a 48 game season wouldn't he be paid more like 3 mil? Plus, I have a sick feeling that some wacko GM will take a chance for one year on Gomez over 2 mil.

Yes, his contract will be pro-rated, but it's still alot to pay for a guy who's as injury prone as Connolly is, combined with his lack of production. Since the end of the lockout, Connolly's played 63, 2, 48, 48, 73, 68 and 70 games in each season. All of that in the East and maybe most importantly the North-East. He'd have a much tougher time staying healthy in the West, and the Central, having to play St.Louis, Nashville, Vancouver and LA.

Neither guy are ideal options. Neither guy is really, at this point, a guy you'd necessarily want on your team.. but if I had the choice between the two, I'd take Gomez because he'll be alot cheaper and there's far less risk if he doesn't work out.

madgoat33

May 16, 2010
isn't thus the same kinda stuff people were saying about brunette last year not realizing that regardless how bad he played q would gift him minutes instead of seeing what younger guys could do. there absolutely is a downside to Gomez and that's a **** player that will likely be in the lineup regardless how bad he plays.

EmeticDonut

Oct 7, 2006
Brunette and Morrison were old farts. Gomez still has some years in him. A one-year deal is not detrimental, adds depth for a season that could have a lot of injuries if nothing else.

HockeySauce

Jan 26, 2011
isn't thus the same kinda stuff people were saying about brunette last year not realizing that regardless how bad he played q would gift him minutes instead of seeing what younger guys could do. there absolutely is a downside to Gomez and that's a **** player that will likely be in the lineup regardless how bad he plays.

As I said before, Gomez has no history with Q - Brunette did. That's a big difference. You didn't see SOD playing every night, getting tons of minutes.. he was just as useless as Brunette, except he didn't have a history with Q.

Futhermore, Gomez is 6 years younger than Brunette and can keep up with the likes of Kane, Hossa and Sharp - Brunette couldn't.

UsernameWasTaken

Let's Go Hawks!
Feb 11, 2012
Toronto
i'd rather take the chance with one of our younger players than take the chance with gomez - even if things don't go well w/ the younger player, at least they're getting experience. gomez is just taking up a roster spot.

HockeySauce

Jan 26, 2011
i'd rather take the chance with one of our younger players than take the chance with gomez - even if things don't go well w/ the younger player, at least they're getting experience. gomez is just taking up a roster spot.

Again, sign Gomez, give him 8-10 games, if it's not working out then waive him and give Kruger/Pirri a shot. He's not really taking a roster spot from a player given the fact that Pirri didn't make the team and Kruger's slated to start the season as the 4th line centre.

Bubba88

Toews = Savior
Nov 8, 2009
Bavaria
With Redden, it came down to LA and STL. Those are good teams that think he can help them.

With Gomez, SJ seems to be the frontrunner.

Those guys still have enough left to help the good teams. Great that you are not interested in getting those guys. Hell yes to signing Gomez as shortfix

hockeydoug

May 26, 2012
I still haven't heard whether or not Gomez signed. Any word out of SJ after their meeting?

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
I still haven't heard whether or not Gomez signed. Any word out of SJ after their meeting?

Been waiting to hear something on this as well. The silence makes me think they have a core deal in place, and are maybe finalizing some performance incentives.

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
Well that sucks. Not crying over it, but would have still welcomed him.

zytz

lumberjack
Jul 25, 2011
Skates with SJ this morning in Calgary, but talking heads make it sound like he might have a few skates lined up.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad