OT: The Habs Lounge Thread XIII: This is NOT a thread about bees and wasps

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kairi Zaide

Unforgiven
Aug 11, 2009
Quebec City
So, I still don't know which job about the 3 I could potentially get (interviews for 2 of them, the other one they're supposed to choose who they hire tomorrow it seems) I would choose if I get said yes for the 3.

Job 1 : Janitor, strike 2 !!!
- Interview tomorrow morning at 10:30 AM
- 16$/hour
- Don't know how much I'd work per week, but it seems to be part time (10-25 hours depending), mostly on weekends
- What I'd do : General cleaning
- Pros : High salary, lots of free time
- Cons : I was fired from another janitory job last summer for unknown reasons, though for this one, I would not need to wax floors and stuff, just general cleaning, they're looking for someone that could work more than just the summer though they're not opposed against it

Job 2 : Handling/commissionary job in an hospital
- Interview monday morning at 10:30 AM.
- minimum salary (10,55$/hour)
- 35 hours a week (though there could be weeks I work less)
- What I'd do : Deliver stuff to certain rooms in the hospital, move objects from one room to another, organize rooms for events/conferences/etc.
- Pros : Very close to where I live (30 minutes bus ride), hospital job so I get to know how it is to work inside one
- Cons : Could be physical (handling job means I would have to move fridges, desk, etc. with other people, though we have trolleys, commissionary would require me to walk ~10-12km a day), low salary, only 8 weeks

Job 3 : Laboratory technician for a chemical company (potential unofficial internship if they don't get the intern they want)
- They said they wanted to fill that job around the end of this week (so they could call me, or I would call them)
- 12$/hour
- 40 hours a week
- What I'd do : Simple laboratory tests/procedures (analyzing materials, making solutions, etc.). In the event they'd offer me the intern position, I would also be charged of certain projects.
- Pros : I work in a lab (dream work environment) for the INRS (national scientific research institute), salary is okay, I would acquire great lab/research experience for the future (although it is chemical stuff and not biomedical stuff - though they do some research on bacterias, so who knows), full 12 weeks
- Cons : Would need to move to ULaval's dorms (~370$/month) during the week in order to help me adjust my sleep schedule - that's the job I whined about having to wake up very hearly - but if after one month I'm okay I could end up staying at home (longer bus ride), hard to access by bus (though it is definitely possible) - it just requires to walk on the sideline of a boulevard (where cyclists ride)

Kairi Zaide

Unforgiven
Aug 11, 2009
Quebec City
You were a janitor?

Become a janitor again and please don't turn into a serial killer.
For 3 days. Did not get along very well with the people I was working with (so it was hard to ask questions to the supervisor who was there while we were being trained), which I guess might be the reason they did not keep me. Not like we had disputes or anything, but I just did not feel comfortable enough because I was totally different from the supervisor and from the 3 other persons they hired at the same time as me. We had to do all the "heavy" janitory job on top of that (all the process behind putting wax on floors and stuff), and it was relatively physical for someone who's not a gym rat like me since we had to empty every room before that.

Ice Poutine

LA POUTINE IS BACK!
Feb 18, 2006
ON MY CHAIR
Ok so in keeping with what i see generally in most threads i'll go with "Fire Therrien!!"

(there i said it so lets move on now...)

Kairi Zaide

Unforgiven
Aug 11, 2009
Quebec City
de37c64a80.jpg

google maps tells me to walk across that (the blue dots)

yeah, I'm gonna cross highways (there is no cycling road I could walk on or anything)

ok

Kairi Zaide

Unforgiven
Aug 11, 2009
Quebec City
You make more money as a janitor than as a lab technician. I get that it's part time but holy hell...
I know. That's why I'm hesitating. I think I could get more hours for that janitoring job (when the guy called me, he asked me how many hours I expected to work, and I said what you could offer, but in the job offer, it said 8AM-1:30PM on sat/sun).

In the end, I'll know more after the interview tomorrow. But it'd be a decision between more money, and valuable experience. For the hospital job, the advantage is just that it's relatively close and easy to get to by bus (with a bus that passes at the bus stop i always use taking me directly there)

Kairi Zaide

Unforgiven
Aug 11, 2009
Quebec City
Since it's in your field, I would do everything to get Job 3.
It's not in my field. The company is called Materium, and according to their website, it seems like a chemical/material engineering company. It's a small business (PME) that seems to be funded by the government (NSERC I think). Though it seems they work in a very vague amount of fields. On their website, they say they've worked on pharmaceutical and bacterial stuff as well as enzymes, so who knows. If that's related to what I'd be doing, I'd be hitting the jackpot.

But I could end up working in a lab someday. The experience I'd acquire is mostly about lab security, protocoles and using certain devices.

Alexdaman

Wolfman
Mar 12, 2012
Hell/Heaven
It's not in my field. The company is called Materium, and according to their website, it seems like a chemical/material engineering company. It's a small business (PME) that seems to be funded by the government (NSERC I think). Though it seems they work in a very vague amount of fields. On their website, they say they've worked on pharmaceutical and bacterial stuff as well as enzymes, so who knows. If that's related to what I'd be doing, I'd be hitting the jackpot.

But I could end up working in a lab someday. The experience I'd acquire is mostly about lab security, protocoles and using certain devices.

Wouldn't it be ironical that they do these kinds of products.

http://*******/1LN2XdU

Summer Rose

Red Like Roses
Sponsor
May 3, 2012
Gainesville, Florida
Got a new job for the summer. Sort of. Got hired on for a paid modeling gig. I was nervous about it at first because it's a company that does a lot of adult stuff, but what I'll be doing is a clothed photoshoot to start off. I figure I can say no to any requests that make me feel uncomfortable if they try offering me stuff I don't want to do.

Could be my foot in the door to earn some decent money through modeling and performing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad