The Great Pacific Playoff Race

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018
There is now 13 games remaining. 14 for Edmonton.

We're 4 points behind LA and 3 behind Edmonton, they have the game in hand but we play them and beating them would essentially negate it. EDM/LA have one more game against each other where one will drop at least a point.

We would probably hold the tiebreak over either if we were tied on points.

Edmonton has a tough schedule, goaltending that could be an issue at any time and we have a relatively easier schedule and have been getting some of our guys back.

The Kings have been sliding and have injuries now also. They have an easier final six games but their next six of seven seems brutal.

At Calgary, At Winnipeg, Calgary, Edmonton, At Minnesota, At Chicago, At Colorado.

The Calgary game tonight is a back to back where they lost in a shootout last night. Among their easier end to the season is two against the Ducks, who should relish the opportunity to cost LA a playoff spot more than anyone.

I think there is definitely a pretty big window open for Vegas to get that third Pacific spot from either.

Reactions: Nevada Jones

sabresfan65

Vegas HAS Hockey!!
Sponsor
May 23, 2004
Vegas
The talking heads all keep talking about Dallas, but finishing 2/3 in the Pacific is still a more likely, and desirable, outcome.

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
I still don't think they make it. Have to rely on other teams to mess up and also for our team to not f*** up. Too much to ask for at this point. Hope I'm wrong though.

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018
Kings get the shootout win. If we tie with them on points though, no way they win the tiebreak.

Still need them to slip up twice. Their schedule is still tough coming up.

Vegas07

Dec 6, 2018
We should have gained more ground after winning 4 in a row. That 5 game losing streak on the road is killing this team in the standings.

willy702

Jul 3, 2016
Yep, its getting a bit grim. Predators and Blues only teams slipping a bit but they got so far ahead due to the 0-fer road trip that its going to take this current streak going up to 8 or 9 to have a shot it appears. Vancouver it appears is looking at this as their last stand to get there so if the Knights can beat them in regulation today they just might break their will. Lose though and the two games against them remain dogfights.

hangman005

Mark Stones Spleen
Apr 19, 2015
Cloud 9
Tonight we are Wild, Islanders and *cough* Sharks fans!
obiwan-kenobi-disturbance-in-the-force.gif

Reactions: sabresfan65

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
Tonight we are Wild, Islanders and *cough* Sharks fans!

And got no help from any of these teams. Honestly, i think it is over. It feels like the Knights are fighting a losing battle at this point.

Keep Patches and Stone out for the rest of the season. Find a way to get cap compliant in the offseason and come back next season healthy with Deboer on a short leash.

Reactions: willy702

Vegas07

Dec 6, 2018
The last 6 teams the Kings play will be the Blue Jackets, Ducks, Blackhawks, Ducks, Kraken and Canucks. 3 of the next 4 games for them are tough but I’m skeptical they will choke with that schedule.

The Oilers schedule looks much tougher but I don’t like our chances.

I think it could still be done so I’m not giving up. But I’m going to be surprised if this team makes the playoffs.

willy702

Jul 3, 2016
The last 6 teams the Kings play will be the Blue Jackets, Ducks, Blackhawks, Ducks, Kraken and Canucks. 3 of the next 4 games for them are tough but I’m skeptical they will choke with that schedule.

I think it could still be done so I’m not giving up. But I’m going to be surprised if this team makes the playoffs.
They will put up a battle until the end which is why the NHL has its system the way it is with 3 point games and all. But in the end just 2 or 3 points from that road trip would have made all the difference.

azvgk

Nov 29, 2019

It's 50/50 - we still really have the situation in our hands, we still play Dallas and Edmonton. If we win probably 9 of the last 11, I suspect we'll be in. A tough chore, but with games against Devils, fading Caps, Arizona, 2 vs. Canucks and San Jose it's doable.

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018
It's 50/50 - we still really have the situation in our hands, we still play Dallas and Edmonton. If we win probably 9 of the last 11, I suspect we'll be in. A tough chore, but with games against Devils, fading Caps, Arizona, 2 vs. Canucks and San Jose it's doable.
An 8-3 record, or 7-2-2, would be 98 points, so far no one in NHL history has missed with even 97 points.

We are likely to hold the tiebreak over LA and Dallas, the most likely teams we could catch.

Vegas07

Dec 6, 2018
If this team wins 9 out of 11 that would be 14 wins in 16 games to finish the season. Even with such a favorable schedule, I think that would be so encouraging.

IMO it would make this team look like a serious threat to anybody in the playoffs if at least Stone can come back.

azvgk

Nov 29, 2019
An 8-3 record, or 7-2-2, would be 98 points, so far no one in NHL history has missed with even 97 points.

We are likely to hold the tiebreak over LA and Dallas, the most likely teams we could catch.
After tomorrow vs. Oilers, LA has only 3 home games left, but against mostly bottom feeders. While true about the 98 points, almost every opponent has been rolling over for our competition, so I suspect we'll need 98 or more to make the playoffs.

Reactions: Vegan Knight

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018
After tomorrow vs. Oilers, LA has only 3 home games left, but against mostly bottom feeders. While true about the 98 points, almost every opponent has been rolling over for our competition, so I suspect we'll need 98 or more to make the playoffs.
Two of the bottom feeder games are against the Ducks though.

That rivalry always shines through and I'm sure the Ducks would like nothing more than to cost LA a playoff spot.

I'm with you about the possible cutoff this year looking like it will be pretty high but I don't think we miss if we hit 98.

I don't think Edmonton is as realistic to catch anymore, I think LA and Dallas are our two opportunities to pass.

Edit: That being said, Edmonton has a brutal schedule remaining. Eight tough games including one against us.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad