The Great Fleury Dilemma

Bart9349

Jul 4, 2016
One of the things witnessed last night (possibly for the first time by many VGK fans) is the great "Fleury dilemma."

MAF (Marc Andre-Fleury) is obviously among the greatest at stopping the pucks and smothering them. The challenge is with his puck handling and movement after the initial save. This inability to quickly move the puck back up ice after the opponents' rush to the net may or may not be a problem, however.

Some speed teams, like the Pens, play a quick transition game. The Pens could keep an opponent on their heels at all times by quick puck movement. The Pens goalie Murray was better at the transition game than Fleury, which explains the trade.

VGK, however, don't have the skill for the fast transition game, yet. Also, this type of game, with the obvious exception of the Oilers, is less crucial in the Western Conference than in the Eastern Conference.

That is the reason MAF could have great success with this VGK team. VGK will need a solid face-off game in their own zone. MAF will probably face many, many shots this year, however. And god help this team if Fleury gets injured.

Last edited:

Vegas Mac

Golden Shellback
Jun 26, 2015
We knew going in that we're an expac team and it's going to take time. VGK will steal some games with a guy like Fleury between the pipes, but over the course of so many games all those shots and the possession at large not going their way are going to take their toll in goals against. Even with Fleury staying healthy under that kind of barrage he's only human and will start giving up goals. And he knew that was the direction of things coming in tbh.

Ahead this season we have the deadline deals pending too, with guys like Neal likely to be dealt to contenders. And judging from Neal's start, he's going to be very coveted come the deadline. So the team we see at the end of this season will probably be a little better defensively (which won't be saying too much) and weaker in forward depth due to the deadline trades to load the 2018 draft. We'll be in the bottom quarter, or third at the least, of teams in the standings when all is said and done.

Next year should be a little better I think. We'll see better blueline play and defensive zone breakouts for more of that transition game that I know GM wants to have. And then that window will open where the kids start coming in, headed by Brannstrom, and that's when our ability to hope begins.

My point here is there's no reason to sweat the details on this year's team. Making the playoffs would be counterproductive to GM's plan, so pretty sure he's going to do what he has to do to load next year's draft and give this team a good lottery shot.

NORiculous

Jan 13, 2006
Montreal
with guys like Neal likely to be dealt to contenders
I get the idea of building with the draft but you still need someone to show the way for the youth. ( and score some goals for the team )

It’s obviously early but it seemed to me that Fleury and Neal are currently more valuable to the VGN then if traded.

At some point that could change but I thought it would take at least a few years before Neal would be traded.

Bart9349

Jul 4, 2016
At some point that could change but I thought it would take at least a few years before Neal would be traded.

I believe Neal is a UFA next year.

"The Columbus Blue Jackets have a large amount of talent inside their potential top six forwards, however a large portion of them are fairly small compared to the rest of the league. Could a top six power forward be just what the team needs?"

https://unionandblue.com/2017/09/07/columbus-blue-jackets-pursue-james-neal/

Last edited:

Shaffer

GuentzGoal
May 20, 2017
I don’t know what thread this goes in, but what would you want for Lindberg and what would you want for Haula?
EDIT: From Pens

Bart9349

Jul 4, 2016
I don’t know what thread this goes in, but what would you want for Lindberg and what would you want for Haula?
EDIT: From Pens

I will defer to the many on this forum who know the VGK roster far better than I.

That said, a lot of folks are extremely positive on Haula.

Since VGK are willing to slowly build a solid team and organization (without the short term panic moves), they wouldn't trade for an older veteran player who will merely last a couple years.. They could be seduced, however, by future draft picks.

I think this list of extra draft picks is mostly correct:

Vegas’ own picks in rounds 1, 2, 5 and 6

Pittsburgh Penguins’ fourth round pick

Carolina Hurricanes’ fifth round pick

Vegas’ picks in rounds 1-7

Columbus Blue Jackets’ second round pick

New York Islanders’ second round pick

Nashville Predators’ third round pick

Winnipeg Jets’ third round pick

Montreal Canadiens’ fifth round pick

Vegas’ picks in rounds 1-7

Dallas Stars’ second round pick

Pittsburgh Penguins’ second round pick

So, the strategy appears to be stockpile draft picks, draft well, and let the younger players develop.

Last edited:

Vegas Mac

Golden Shellback
Jun 26, 2015
I get the idea of building with the draft but you still need someone to show the way for the youth. ( and score some goals for the team )

It’s obviously early but it seemed to me that Fleury and Neal are currently more valuable to the VGN then if traded.

If he's not locked up here pretty soon he WILL be traded at the deadline. GM is building organizational depth and holding on to an impending FA like Neal is not smart when you can get a round one pick for him. And even better if it's done well before the deadline, as there's a better chance the team who trades for him hasn't realized they're not good enough for the playoffs. Which means another lottery shot.

And when it goes down many of us more hardcore fans will understand it, but the general populace won't. They're gonna be up in arms when GM pulls the trigger. It's gonna be ugly, especially if he keeps playing the way he is now but if he does they might get really nice compensation.

Reactions: Sir Goose

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad