Post-Game Talk (GBU): The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly - Road Point: OT Loss 3-2 in Carolina 11/7/23

littletonhockeycoach

NOT the Hanson Bros.....
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2008
Littleton, Co
No major complaints tonight. Canes are tough o play against and have an excess of skilled players who play a disciplined puck control game.

Not convinced the players on the ice during the 3 on 3 even had an opportunity to change and get fresh legs out there.

Good game from UPL, Greenway , Dahlin, RyJo, Peterka and esp Tuch.

Sabres can hold their heads up high after to night.

Last edited:

Dingo44

We already won the trade
Sponsor
Jul 21, 2015
Greensboro, NC
The consensus among basically all the Sabres fans walking around after the game (and there are always a lot of them) was hey we got a point. Entertaining game.

It's something that every time I go to a Canes game that goes to OT I have to explain to people around me how regular season overtime works. :eyeroll:

ValJamesDuex

Nov 4, 2021
G: Donnie leaned on young Johnson minutes and it paid off.

Screen Shot 2023-11-07 at 11.42.32 PM.png

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
The consensus among basically all the Sabres fans walking around after the game (and there are always a lot of them) was hey we got a point. Entertaining game.

It's something that every time I go to a Canes game that goes to OT I have to explain to people around me how regular season overtime works. :eyeroll:

It was endearing to hear the "let's go Buffalo!" chant that at first drew boos and then a counter cheer started. Reminded me of Leaf fans in Buffalo.

Sadly, similar results... :laugh:

Royal Thunder

Frolunda Mode
Feb 21, 2012
The problem isn't necessarily Okposo on that unit - they don't have anyone else to go to the front of the net. Quinn isn't really that guy either. They have all their zone entry guys (Dahlin, Tuch, Cozens) stacked up on the first unit which means they have people getting handles on PP2 in positions that aren't a strength. They will still need someone to go netfront.
Greenway could be the net front guy on PP2, no? Okposo is just an anchor there

Bobby Bottle Service

Win for Rick
Dec 15, 2005
Toronto
It's going to be very interesting to see who comes out of the lineup when the D is healthy. Doc Johnson may be pushing Cliffy down to #7. Really impressed with his game, doesn't try to do too much... in the right spots.

Getting him to sign is a feather in GMKA's hat.

Reactions: BuffaloMango

Dex

Complementary
Sponsor
Dec 5, 2011
Under Deep Cover
Where did the "Doc" thing come from as regards Ryan Johnson?

the xB guys want to make their own nicknames for players so they are shoehorning in a dumb one. Something about him going to school for so long he's a doctor.

Because he stayed in school so long he got his PhD (joking)

I really did not like the nickname and googled it to find out where it originated as it applies to Ryan Johnson. To me it sounded like some historic figure from the old west who robbed banks and patched up members of the gang who got shot. Turns out that Doc Johnson is a sex toy company - not that there's anything wrong with that. I just prefer that players on my favorite team not be nicknamed after a dildo and butt plug company.

Edit - just saw the post above about needing a different nickname than RJ. In my humble opinion, RyJo is kind of lame, but I think its better than Doc Johnson

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Matt Ress

Dex

Complementary
Sponsor
Dec 5, 2011
Under Deep Cover
On a more positive note, I am really happy for Johnson as he appears to be better than even I had hoped for when the Sabres picked him. His choice at the end of the first round, being part of the ROR deal, and the fact that he completed all four years at Minnesota was a painful thing to watch - as "board experts" had him running a four year gauntlet negativism, trade proposals and rumors - the best of which was the constant banter about him signing with whatever organization his father worked for.

Rivals the years long Mittelstadt beat down for sure.

HOOats

NO DOOM NO GLOOM
Nov 19, 2007
City of Buffalo
the xB guys want to make their own nicknames for players so they are shoehorning in a dumb one. Something about him going to school for so long he's a doctor.
Shoehorning for sure especially when there are some covid-era college athletes in their 6th and 7th years, but a classic joke nonetheless. "Analytics guys" should let the cool kids handle the vibes dept.

Reactions: ForsbergMoDo21

Sabre the Win

Joke of a Franchise
Jun 27, 2013
Where did the "Doc" thing come from as regards Ryan Johnson?
Its absolutely stupid, I thought maybe it was some famous cowboy from history or a movie so I googled it and all I got was Doc Johnson 'American Sex Toy Company'. Yes Doc Johnson is the name of the company.

These guys on Twitter need to do better or let someone who is good at nicknames name people. Amateur hour at xB

debaser66

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2012
Is it a trend that they always take more penalties than the opposing team?
Havent checked but the last 2 gms we always took one more.
Is it reputation? Are they not playing smart enough to hide their infractions?

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
They played a gutsy game against a HUNGRY Carolina team while missing a few impact players. Not bad. Wish they would've won, but keep playing that way, and the Ws will follow.

sabresfan129103

1-4-6-14
Apr 10, 2006
Amherst, NY
I'm wondering if the book on the Sabres PP is out, at least as far as entries into the zone go. Stand them up at the blueline and they can't do shit. For the most part that seems to be the case. They're either gonna need to dump and chase or do something like Dahlin did with his goal.

Reactions: BFLO

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad