Post-Game Talk (GBU): The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly: Pat's vs. Geno's

kirby11

Mar 16, 2011
Buffalo, NY
The Good:

Gus was good again tonight. The effort was there, rewarded O'Reilly with a yawning cage for the only goal. Loved his physical play.
Lehner made some stops that should've gone in.

The Bad:

Score early, take a lead... and lose. Yep.
Missing some glorious chances early. 2-on-1's, some yawing cages... nada.
Thought this was Scandella's worst game since he was recovering from surgery.
ERod ices, then Kane can't clear, ERod misses his man, and Reinhart doesn't cover. Well played forwards, well played. It's hard to get all three forwards to **** up.
Jack hit a post.
Reinhart missed another goal
Why is Larsson getting the extra time late when Gus is the guy going well tonight? I don't understand you Phil.

The Ugly:

Can someone, anyone, get urgent about scoring some ****ing goals?
Jake McCabe can **** right off.

Story of Sam's season. Dude's flubbed countless great scoring chances with half-empty nets from in close.

Reactions: sabrebuild

AustonsNostrils

Apr 5, 2016
They are brutally predictable and uncreative when they do gain zone time in the offensive end. The forwards goto panicky move is the pass back to the offensively inept dmen on the blueline who either flub the pass, shoot the puck into somebody's shin pads, pass across the ice to d partner as inept as he is or pass the puck back to the forward who gave them the puck who has done nothing to get himself into a more advantageous position - the entire process, rinse and repeated over and over is futile 90% of the time.

Reactions: CrazyPsycho

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Story of Sam's season. Dude's flubbed countless great scoring chances with half-empty nets from in close.

Again, I'd take a guy getting chances and not converting over someone who isn't even getting chances. It sort of reminds me of the difference between him at the '14 WJC's vs him at the '15 WJC's. *shrug* I think he's young enough that throwing the player out with the bathwater at this point would be counterproductive.

kirby11

Mar 16, 2011
Buffalo, NY
Again, I'd take a guy getting chances and not converting over someone who isn't even getting chances. It sort of reminds me of the difference between him at the '14 WJC's vs him at the '15 WJC's. *shrug* I think he's young enough that throwing the player out with the bathwater at this point would be counterproductive.

Very true. It's just frustrating that he's missed such a high number of opportunities, though it's been a team wide problem for years now. Plus we don't really have guys who can reliably pick corners from further out.

Reactions: sabrebuild

littletonhockeycoach

NOT the Hanson Bros.....
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2008
Littleton, Co
Watched the condensed version of the game after getting back from mens league last night. I was disappointed to find out we lost 2 - 1. But the video highlights packaged gave me the impression that the Sabres missed scoring opportunity after opportunity and were simply beat by a solid goaltender? Being shown how many times Kane alone should have scored made me think the team played solid but were squeezing their sticks too much.

Anyways, it's been weird contrasting the comments here in the GBU and the GDT with the video highlights on NHL-TV.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Watched the condensed version of the game after getting back from mens league last night. I was disappointed to find out we lost 2 - 1. But the video highlights packaged gave me the impression that the Sabres missed scoring opportunity after opportunity and were simply beat by a solid goaltender? Being shown how many times Kane alone should have scored made me think the team played solid but were squeezing their sticks too much.

Anyways, it's been weird contrasting the comments here in the GBU and the GDT with the video highlights on NHL-TV.

They had plenty of chances in the first that they didn't convert.

Jim Carr's Rug

Jan 16, 2006
Denver

I thought they had a good first but the Flyers dominated the 2nd. Then, with the lead, the flyers went to 3rd period trap system. Sabres had a few quality chances in the 3rd but they were few and far between. At least that's how I evaluated it while watching.

BTW, LHC, do you play at the Edge? Ice Ranch? I play at the Promenade twice a week.

littletonhockeycoach

NOT the Hanson Bros.....
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2008
Littleton, Co
I thought they had a good first but the Flyers dominated the 2nd. Then, with the lead, the flyers went to 3rd period trap system. Sabres had a few quality chances in the 3rd but they were few and far between. At least that's how I evaluated it while watching.

BTW, LHC, do you play at the Edge? Ice Ranch? I play at the Promenade twice a week.
2 leagues, 2 locations

Old Foothills in a league called Southwest Denver Old-timers Hockey League... 40 and over

Edge in the Edge Adult Hockey League

Used to play in the RMHL at Ice Ranch, South Suburban and Apex

You ever play on Pepsi Center ice? Really weird being on the ice with virtually no one in the seats!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad