News Article: The good, the bad and the ugly of Cheveldayoff’s five-year tenure

Evil Little

Jan 22, 2014
I certainly didn't. Especially not with the strong start we had...the best yet in 2.0 history I think.

But I also think we have had a tough season, something which we need to consider more and acknowledge to an extent. we've had a lot of bad luck on the ice among other things. It's been tough and it's added to the losses.

I think we have outplayed enough opponents to be 10 pts up where we are now. Vs Avs, vs oilers, vs the Sabres, vs a bunch of teams. We aren't winning most of the "easier" games like we were last year and we also are a dropping many close contests on the wrong side of the win column.

I think we are closer to turning the ship around than we are to perpetually sucking - by that I mean on an annual basis, not this season. There needs to be some key cogs changed particularly Stuart. He is standout terrible and his ill timed pinches early in the year regularly cost us goals.

Mix that with a mediocre tender in pav and a regressed Hutch and it killed a lot of our early momentum

Ladd is having an off year - his worst ever and it's impacting us, little hasn't been himself, buff and Toby seems to be the only consistently good d men we have, there's a lot of tiny issues compounding here

I still feel we are not as bad as the standings say we are. We have some critical weaknesses but we are a better team than the standings show. A lot of bad luck has gone our way too, whether you subscribe to luck being a factor or not.

I agree with a lot of this.

I have no idea what happened, but this team isn't nearly as bad in a vacuum as the record indicates.

Yes, special teams is the big culprit, but I think that there's some other things going on, too.

I cannot recall a game where they've come from behind to win, certainly not from any appreciable margin. So when they go down early there could be some self-fulfilling sinking feelings. And they're not scoring first very much this year, at all.

In general, I think it's a pretty average team hanging out near the toilet, which happens on occasion.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Tank is really an overused and misused term, IMO. There are GMs (like Murray last year, for instance) that are very overt about wanting to minimize wins and improve draft position, but for the most part, tanking is simply a product of rebuilding.

Very definition of rebuild is putting something back together after it has been destroyed or disassembled. Jets didn't destroy anything in the present with the Kane trade, and for that very reason, I would be very hesitant to classify that trade as being part of any kind of rebuild.

I think I get your point. The rebuild should be dated after Atlanta's brief PO experience. They bottomed out and got Kane and Bogo. They drafted 3rd in 08. That's the beginning. They traded for Buff, Ladd and Wheeler and added them to the likes of Little who was drafted before they bottomed out. The Jets came into the middle of a rebuild just a couple of years after the bottom out. I think we are just having the 2nd bounce this year. Start counting your 5 years with next season as #1.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad