Post-Game Talk (GBU): The Good, the Bad and the Ugly - Benson has himself a Knight; Sabres win 5-2 in Vegas

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
I would say its quite a reach the little time he spent there.
Maybe its more like he lost the pressure going down there of being the to go guy and found his confidence again.
yeah, I think whatever Rochester did for him was purely psychological, but he obviously needed the reset.

Tatanka

Sponsor
Jul 25, 2016
I don't know where you put Skinner at when he returns. No way you drop Benson from the top line or mess with Peterka - Mitts - Cozens.

Rosen > Murray. You could try Skinner-Krebs-Quinn/Olofsson on a 3rd line I guess.
Best Guess:
Benson. thompson. Tuch
Quinn Mitts Peterka
Greenway Cozens Skinner
ERob Krebs OK

Jost VO extras
Dont expect Girgs back. If it was month to month I don’t think Adams would have made a move. He would have shuffled Amerks in and out.

Reactions: ValJamesDuex

BFLO

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 3, 2015
G: Levi stole one
We did not miss Skinner at all.

B: RJ got bodied off the puck a few times like he was a little kid. Solid game otherwise.

Without Levi standing on his head this is a 6-4 loss. We got thoroughly out chanced.

U: Clifton

Refs

Reactions: Fearnot

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
I don't know where you put Skinner at when he returns. No way you drop Benson from the top line or mess with Peterka - Mitts - Cozens.

Rosen > Murray. You could try Skinner-Krebs-Quinn/Olofsson on a 3rd line I guess.
Thing is you can put Benson anywhere and he will make that line work.

MOGlLNY

Jan 5, 2008
G: Levi stole one
We did not miss Skinner at all.

B: RJ got bodied off the puck a few times like he was a little kid. Solid game otherwise.

Without Levi standing on his head this is a 6-4 loss. We got thoroughly out chanced.

U: Clifton

Refs
I looked at the xG, it was not that significant. Sabres had plenty of good chances.

Vegas had the better night probably but showing that it was solely Levi like MoneyPuck says? Nah

BuffaloGooner

Sep 8, 2011
Sloan, NY
I looked at the xG, it was not that significant. Sabres had plenty of good chances.

Vegas had the better night probably but showing that it was solely Levi like MoneyPuck says? Nah
Both Moneypuck and NST have been a little off in not only our games but lots of games I’ve watched imo. Sometimes the eyes and numbers just don’t match.

Tatanka

Sponsor
Jul 25, 2016
Thing is you can put Benson anywhere and he will make that line work.
True but you want that effort on the ice for a maximum number of minutes. His minutes will go down as you move him down the lineup

Reactions: MOGlLNY

Mattilaus

Sep 12, 2014
Beyond the Wall
also re Levi

It could be that the act of sending him down is what relieved the pressure, and not the time spent there. I know in my experience in working with and training young people they fear making a mistake because they fear repercussions. This fear makes them make more mistakes and they compound upon each other. Once you show the mistakes can be fixed, the repercussions aren't that bad, and that they definitely aren't permanent, they tend to be able to perform their jobs better without worrying about every little mistake all the time. Maybe all Levi needed was to be sent down to show him its not the end of the world and he doesn't need to fear making a mistake.

Or maybe he is just on a really hot run. Who knows with this team?

Reactions: DJN21

TheMistyStranger

ミスト
May 21, 2005
2 5v5 goals from each of the top 2 lines? Pinch me.

One thing they didn’t screw up was keeping Benson. He is just a different level of smart.

It's a super weird comparison but I'll say it - Benson plays the way I always wished Eichel would.

BFLO

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 3, 2015

Both Moneypuck and NST have been a little off in not only our games but lots of games I’ve watched imo. Sometimes the eyes and numbers just don’t match.
What didn't match up for you guys? We created some good chances, and we scored on them, but we didn't create a high number of those chances. Vegas basically doubled us up on the number of good chances created and Levi stone walled 'em for the most part.

We got out Corsied 78-48, outshot 35-27, out Fenwicked 56-36, out scoring chanced 49-28, out high danger corsied 26-10 and out xGFed 5.6-3

xGF is based off of Fenwick (unblocked shot attempts). VGK being +20 margin in fenwick explains most of the difference in xGF. If the number of fenwicks had been even at 36 a piece the xGF would have been VGK 3.6 to Sabres 3.04, which is pretty negligible.

1702739818125.png

1702739849683.png

Reactions: Chainshot

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
What didn't match up for you guys? We created some good chances, and we scored on them, but we didn't create a high number of those chances. Vegas basically doubled us up on the number of good chances created and Levi stone walled 'em for the most part.

We got out Corsied 78-48, outshot 35-27, out Fenwicked 56-36, out scoring chanced 49-28, out high danger corsied 26-10 and out xGFed 5.6-3

xGF is based off of Fenwick (unblocked shot attempts). VGK being +20 margin in fenwick explains most of the difference in xGF. If the number of fenwicks had been even at 36 a piece the xGF would have been VGK 3.6 to Sabres 3.04, which is pretty negligible.

View attachment 784384

View attachment 784386

Levi was the difference last night.

Reactions: BFLO

MOGlLNY

Jan 5, 2008
Buyout Skinner this summer. Better as a team without him.
I was discussing this with my brother this week.. I think after next summer is the move because Quinn and Peterka's hypothetical new deals wouldn't kick in until then.

I also think it's possible we could find a taker.

Deep Blue Metallic

Bo knows hockey.
Mar 5, 2021
That Benson play to intercept the breakout is just spectacular.
Benson had just come off the bench. Was still getting his stick set. He broke Barbashev a little with that.

Busted his stick on their net after the goal. He was chirping one of the Sabres bigtime, just enraged. Probably reacting to a "nice assist, asshole" or similar compliment.

lmao

Deep Blue Metallic

Bo knows hockey.
Mar 5, 2021
I just watched the highlights on NHL.com and there were no highlights from the first 28 minutes of the game and not a single save shown.

Glad to see Levi tearing it up. Maybe he got one look at an AHL bus trip and said never again.
The on-ice product has never been better, but the league itself continues to be an absolute embarrassment.

Enjoy.

toddkaz

Nov 25, 2022
just watched the goal replays. Tuch made up for the puck on end shot with a snipe. Jesus that was a wicked shot.
Sounds like Levi had himself a night (I turned it off with 5 left in the second). You gotta go with the hot hand and play him tonight if you want to come away with points.
I love the pick by Benson. He is a sneaky little guy but most of all he reads the play like a veteran. I saw a few scouts say he had 1st overall potential.

He is quickly becoming my favorite sabres player.

Sabresfansince1980

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
from Wheatfield, NY
Could only watch the 1st and 2nd before I passed out with the TV still on. Caught the 3rd period highlights. Like others posted, could've lost but Levi was real good and they actually converted on their chances. Two in a row...??? I have to be convinced,

truthbluth

Feb 2, 2011
I was discussing this with my brother this week.. I think after next summer is the move because Quinn and Peterka's hypothetical new deals wouldn't kick in until then.

I also think it's possible we could find a taker.
Because of the structure of the contract, it’s cheaper to buy him out next summer. But either way, it’s a $6m cap hit on 26-27, which is a little rich. I don’t know, he’s still a very useful player, but I am starting to come around on the idea.

Reactions: Mattilaus

yasky

Nov 29, 2021
G: Levi's glove, Benson playing his best game of the season (I had him going 7th overall and am happy he's working his way up the lineup already).
B: Power desperately needs a good mentor. He's still young and still very raw, but he needs help.
U: What it would cost for a competent top 4 veteran Defender to help mentor Power.

Reactions: ValJamesDuex

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008

I watched the game, and agree. Vegas was better. Not surprising, but Buffalo was getting their chances, too.

That being said, a 6-4 loss was probably the result 60-70% ish of the time. Levi was amazing, and the biggest reason why they won.

Also, it should be noted the team locked it down after going up 2, which was good to see.

old kummelweck

Nov 10, 2003
I just watched the highlights but it looked like the Sabres were sending two guys to the front of the net in the ozone. May finally be some coaching adjustments.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad