Post-Game Talk (GBU): The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly - #66 AHLers Gone Wild! (Wait...that's not good)

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
The Good -

- Timely PP scoring.
- Kane-Eichel-Reinhart were dangerous most of the night. Would have loved to see them cash in more at even strength, but the PP scoring was welcome.
- Lehner made some big saves after that first billiard-ball goal against.
- I like Pysyk tonight... except for playing safe and not lobbing the puck up to Jack in OT for the breakaway.
- The Larsson line again. Forecheck, solid d-zone play... chances. Even seeing Larry get some PP time and a goal. Well done.
- Coyle's move in the SO. That was impressive.
- I liked Catenacci's tenacity. He reminds me a bit of Flynn but with a little more bite in his game.

The Bad -

- That first bounce that put them down 1-0.
- Kane-Eichel-Reinhart unable to score on some glorious chances.
- Risto-McCabe on the GTG. Both messed it up and it lead to the goal.

The Ugly -

- Afternoon games on the weekend.
- Obligatory knock on the stripes. :laugh:

Snippit

Dec 5, 2012
Good:
Jack and Sam
Kane
Pysyk, bar his mistake in OT
Larsson

Bad
Our inability to win shootouts

Sam is playing his best hockey of the year. The ROR injury gave him an opportunity to step up. Aside from the first post ROR game, he's done really well.

hizzoner

Sponsor
Jun 19, 2006
I thought the Sabres for a team depending on young and inexperienced guys in comparison to the Wild were excellent. As to weekend afternoon games--it is how you develop young fans especially those who do not live a mile from the the arena...my grandchildren have been going to them for years and are staunch Sabres fans....

gallagt01

Jun 10, 2006
Sloan
Good:
-Kane-Eichel-Reinhart. Dangerous all night.
-Foligno-Larsson-Gionta. Solid again.
-Lehner.
-They were solid defensively much of the game (both in the zone and in transition). McCabe-Bogo was a particularly effective pairing, I thought.
-I really like Coyle.

Bad:
-Nasty bounce on GA1.
-Risto and McCabe on GA2.
-That video package highlighting McCabe's bad luck recently. Yikes.
-Gorges' penalty and Coyle's head smacking off the post.

Ugly:
-I've got nothing.

They played a good game (I honestly thought they were better than the Wild). They still need to score more at ES.

---

Kane taking responsibility for the loss.

"I had chances in the first period, chances in the third period to extend the lead, and I didn't step up."

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
Good

- Eichel and Larsson lines.
-Strong 2nd period after a so so 1st.
-good puck movement on the two PP goals. Getting Kane off that unit helped with puck control.

Bad

- sitting back in the 2nd half of the 3rd. I knew it would happen but why not let them go for the win?

Ugly

The beating McCabe's body has taken the last couple games. Ouch

Yatzhee

Aug 5, 2010
There is no good anymore.

There is only bad. And the lack of finishing is that bad.

The ugly, well, it's clear. No foreseeable answer in the near term. We'll have to wait for the off season to see how Tim addresses this.

There is a side note however. The Amerks appear to have received the help needed. Let us hope that Tim can do the same for the big club. Hope abounds.

Thorton02

Feb 6, 2009
Good all around game considering the Wild took it to them all 1st period. Love to see Eichel get a goal. I'd like to see him and Eichel get over 20 this year.

OkimLom

May 3, 2010

The ugly, well, it's clear. No foreseeable answer in the near term. We'll have to wait for the off season to see how Tim addresses this.

There is a side note however. The Amerks appear to have received the help needed. Let us hope that Tim can do the same for the big club. Hope abounds.

Watch out when you go outside for pieces of the falling sky. Wear a hard hat.

Good:
-Larsson, COR on the PP and for the most of the game.
-Bogo played okay, McCabe outside PP GA was solid.
-Liked the first 15 mins of the 2nd. Considering how that has been our worst period all year, good to see a solid period.
-Eichel line, when engaged,were good and dangerous.
-Good to see some bite in their game

Bad:
-Risto-Gorges played a very bad game today. Even outside Gorges penalty and Risto bad coverage on PP GA, just terrible play all over.
-Eichel when not engaged in the play coasting too many times. Too many puck up for grabs he didn't race to for my liking.
-Lehner's first period was atrocious with trying to track down the puck.

Ugly:
-Refs not calling interference at the end of regulation AND Ray defending them. That was literally interference 101. Unless they wanted to pay Minny back for the blatant non tripping call behind Buffalo's net. Regardless, terrible job on that.

Dex

Complementary
Sponsor
Dec 5, 2011
Under Deep Cover
I hate that -"the refs don't want to influence the outcome of the game" mentality when they put their whistles in their pockets. By not calling the interference they just might have influenced the outcome of the game - but we'll never know. We'll never know what would have happened had the player (was it Kane?) been able to blow past the defensemen and gain possession of the puck.

I never understood how these "no calls" are not influencing the outcome of the game.

MacOfNiagara

Feb 8, 2006
Ithaca
I hate that -"the refs don't want to influence the outcome of the game" mentality when they put their whistles in their pockets. By not calling the interference they just might have influenced the outcome of the game - but we'll never know. We'll never know what would have happened had the player (was it Kane?) been able to blow past the defensemen and gain possession of the puck.

I never understood how these "no calls" are not influencing the outcome of the game.

Yup, 100%. Thought this when I heard Rayzors comment. Non calls effect the game. If I mugged McDavid at the blueline and no call was made late in the game, the non call effected the game.

cardiffgiant

Continue without supporting us
Sep 28, 2005
Good
Visually, today was the best chemistry that I've seen with Eichel and Kane on the ice at the same time.

Ugly
Interference. It's so frustrating.

BowieSabresFan

Nov 18, 2010
"-Eichel when not engaged in the play coasting too many times. Too many puck up for grabs he didn't race to for my liking."

I've been watching Eichel off the puck a lot more lately, and I have to say I disagree with this. There are times I would like to see him a bit more engaged with play along the boards. I think though, when people are seeing him "coasting," it is often just him already being where he is supposed to be. It's funny that Reinhart gets credit for that (as he should), but Eichel does not.

Crazy Tasty

Oct 5, 2005
Joisey

Yes, because growth from our young players means nothing long term. Exaggerate much?

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
"-Eichel when not engaged in the play coasting too many times. Too many puck up for grabs he didn't race to for my liking."

I've been watching Eichel off the puck a lot more lately, and I have to say I disagree with this. There are times I would like to see him a bit more engaged with play along the boards. I think though, when people are seeing him "coasting," it is often just him already being where he is supposed to be. It's funny that Reinhart gets credit for that (as he should), but Eichel does not.

Maybe I have a lot more confidence in him winning more races to the puck than most. I just see him not moving his feet and not attacking the loose pucks.

Hes fine with back checking. But there have been a lot of potential 50-50 plays that he doesn't put himself in position for.

Havok89

Oct 26, 2010
I still miss Pominville. Who is his replacement on the roster? Was it Zadarov? Gah.

Zadorov + Larsson + 2nd

Larsson has a place on this team, and Zads helped us get 8 years of Ryan O'Reilly. I think we did good on that Pommer trade.

dire wolf

immaculate vibes
May 9, 2006
Out in LA
Zadorov + Larsson + 2nd

Larsson has a place on this team, and Zads helped us get 8 years of Ryan O'Reilly. I think we did good on that Pommer trade.

The second became either Cornel or Karabacek, I believe. Can't remember which.

Anyway, I loved Poms when he was here, but he is fading out and will be a shadow of his former self by the team this team is ready to contend. It was a solid trade.

Not Sure

Feb 8, 2016
Buffalo
Maybe I have a lot more confidence in him winning more races to the puck than most. I just see him not moving his feet and not attacking the loose pucks.

Hes fine with back checking. But there have been a lot of potential 50-50 plays that he doesn't put himself in position for.

Pretty much this, he can be in position and attack the puck. I give him a pass this year because I'm sure the coaching staff is telling him they would rather have him in passing lanes and just don't want him to get beat too often, killing his confidence, but so many time you see him in his lane just reaching with his stick never even moving his feet. You gotta let the kid make mistakes, and this is the year for him to do it. I just think the grind of a full 82 is catching up with him, and I really don't want bad habits to sink in. The worst thing this organization can do for his development is treat him with kid gloves now, they should be calling him out when he makes bad decisions, not just praising him for the good. I don't think I've heard one complaint or criticism of Eichel by anyone in the organization or even broadcast teams. You gotta let players know that not everything they do will be the right thing.

You see these flashes of brilliance and tenacity, then other times it's just lackadaisical play, before the year they said he would go through rough patches and he would have nights where he only plays 9 minutes. Where is that?

BowieSabresFan

Nov 18, 2010
Pretty much this, he can be in position and attack the puck. I give him a pass this year because I'm sure the coaching staff is telling him they would rather have him in passing lanes and just don't want him to get beat too often, killing his confidence, but so many time you see him in his lane just reaching with his stick never even moving his feet. You gotta let the kid make mistakes, and this is the year for him to do it. I just think the grind of a full 82 is catching up with him, and I really don't want bad habits to sink in. The worst thing this organization can do for his development is treat him with kid gloves now, they should be calling him out when he makes bad decisions, not just praising him for the good. I don't think I've heard one complaint or criticism of Eichel by anyone in the organization or even broadcast teams. You gotta let players know that not everything they do will be the right thing.

You see these flashes of brilliance and tenacity, then other times it's just lackadaisical play, before the year they said he would go through rough patches and he would have nights where he only plays 9 minutes. Where is that?

And this is where I have to disagree a bit, because I think you are overstating things quite a lot.

Also, I'm sure that Eichel is getting plenty of coaching behind the scenes. Just because you don't see or hear it, does not mean it isn't happening. Why does it have to be public? In fact, it shouldn't be public.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
The second became either Cornel or Karabacek, I believe. Can't remember which.

Anyway, I loved Poms when he was here, but he is fading out and will be a shadow of his former self by the team this team is ready to contend. It was a solid trade.

It was Karabacek.

JLewyB

May 6, 2013
Pegulaville
And this is where I have to disagree a bit, because I think you are overstating things quite a lot.

Also, I'm sure that Eichel is getting plenty of coaching behind the scenes. Just because you don't see or hear it, does not mean it isn't happening. Why does it have to be public? In fact, it shouldn't be public.

I think your right. Bylsma goes out of his way to not criticize someone.

old kummelweck

Nov 10, 2003
Sam is playing his best hockey of the year. The ROR injury gave him an opportunity to step up. Aside from the first post ROR game, he's done really well.
Silver lining, definitely. We are seeing the much-anticipated hockey IQ and passing begin to emerge. Young kids are stepping up - it's nice to see.

Not Sure

Feb 8, 2016
Buffalo

I agree with that, I dont mean he needs public shaming just that someone needs to tell him where he needs to do more. Its got to be a challenge coming to a team hailed as its saviour, I just dont want that to interfere with development. Everyone tells you for years how great you are and sometimes you need to be brought down to Earth. Eichel doesnt seem like the type of guy to let things go to his head but you never know I guess.

BowieSabresFan

Nov 18, 2010
I agree with that, I dont mean he needs public shaming just that someone needs to tell him where he needs to do more. Its got to be a challenge coming to a team hailed as its saviour, I just dont want that to interfere with development. Everyone tells you for years how great you are and sometimes you need to be brought down to Earth. Eichel doesnt seem like the type of guy to let things go to his head but you never know I guess.

Fair enough.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad