The Future of the Flames.

Thumper17

Jun 27, 2011
The Future of the Flames looks to be an interesting one. The introduction of several new players and a new coaching system, combined with the loss of several key players.

Lets break it down

This year, we have Wideman, Hudler, Baertschi and Cervenka joining the team. In addition to Steve Begin and Steve McCarthy invited on a tryout.

Also, we have a new headcoach and what looks to be new coaches across the board. If I'm not mistaken.

We have a lot of stuff changing for the worse though, Kostopolous and PL3 have left and this will be Iginla, Comeau, Karlsson and The Antons last year before UFA. While Backlund, Bouma, Butler and Brodie are all heading into RFA next year.

Meanwhile in the minors, the great RFA signing frenzy will begin this summer, as Greg Nemisz, Brady Lamb, Bryan Cameron, Mitch Wahl, Akim Aliu, Leland Irving, Paul Byron, Carter Bancks, Gaelan Patterson and Chris Breen are ALL entering RFA.

Bret Carson, Joe Piskula, Krys Kolanos and Ben Walter will also be entering UFA.

This year should be very interesting and expensive. But looking a little further ahead, next year should be equally interesting (and maybe even more expensive).

KHL standout Kari Ramo will likely be moving to the Flames while Kipper will be in the last year of his contract. Will they run as a Tandem for one year? Karlsson resigning? Irving?

Next year also sees Cammy, Stajan(!), Stempniak, Sarich, Bouwmeester, Derek Smith, Jones and Jackman in the last year of their contracts before UFA. A lot of money needing to be thrown around.

Looking to the minors, prospects Ryan Howse, Joni Ortio, Roman Horak, James Martin and David Eddy will be in their last year before RFA. In addition, Ben Street will be in his last season before UFA.

As you can see, a fairly expensive two years for the Flames coming up, 2015-16 looks a little crazy too as Glencross will be entering UFA and the rest of our prospects will be entering RFA.

It should be an interesting couple of years, and I'm expecting a surprise season this year out of the Flames. Lots of intangibles and unknowns though.

Sean Monahan

JIMMIES ARE RUSTLED
Nov 25, 2011
Murrica
Don't think you'll see most of these borderline players returning to the Flames

only RFAs I'll keep are Backlund, Bouma, Butler, Brodie, Byron, Irving, Breen, maybe Nemisz/Wahl if they perform this year

GetThePuckOut

Mar 8, 2010
Calgary
Wotherspoon looks like a gem. In his first game back he had 2G, 2A. A lot of guys tear it up coming back from the WJC so hopefully it takes his game to the next level.

I also think that Kulak and Culkin will be good ones and will surprise people the same way that Wotherspoon has.

JetsHomer

Nov 29, 2011
The ticker on the botton of Tsn just said Cervenka is out indefinitely with a blood clot...I can't find anything else on it though, anyone know anything?

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
Some of the offers for Iginla on the trade boards have me drooling.

Out of the first batch of Ahl rfas only Breen is really worth keeping IMO. Irving is either in the NHL as backup or gone.

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
Some of the offers for Iginla on the trade boards have me drooling.

Out of the first batch of Ahl rfas only Breen is really worth keeping IMO. Irving is either in the NHL as backup or gone.

I would keep Nemisz, Alui, Byron,Breen. Irving won't be RFA he will be UFA I believe since he won't play the necessary games to remain RFA.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad