Speculation: The Future of our Assistant Coaches?

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
It seems to me that if TOR doesn't move past Boston the Assistant Coaches will get fired giving Babcock his last chance with the team.

The question is if we do get past Boston do our Assistant Coaches still have a chance to return next season ?

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
Unless the game has no penalties, I'd think the chances are better of them returning with a win tomorrow night.

Blue Nate

Sep 27, 2017
St Catharines
Do we really know how much autonomy Smith and Hiller have over the PK and PP? I'd be surprised if Babs himself would want to keep around an assistant coach who can't run an effective special team.

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
Do we really know how much autonomy Smith and Hiller have over the PK and PP? I'd be surprised if Babs himself would want to keep around an assistant coach who can't run an effective special team.
Yeah I have a seriously hard time believing an egomaniac control freak in Babcock doesn't overrule them when they don't do things his way.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Something will have to give here. Part of me thinks one will be fired this week, but, on the other hand, they may not and see if they can find other jobs and not have to fire them.

They’ll need a positive vibe soon and signing Marner as early as next week would be nice. If he’s going to the WHC he may want to get that done before he goes.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
Yeah I have a seriously hard time believing an egomaniac control freak in Babcock doesn't overrule them when they don't do things his way.

spot on, those 2 guys are figureheads. Babs controls everything, and basically they are scapegoats before he gets fired

MyBudJT

Mar 5, 2018

Have you even met the guy? I mean, how can you call him a control freak..??? Come on, man...

Jozay

Jul 9, 2012
Toronto
Well the special teams are costing the leafs the series right now, so if we lose I hope they'll be gone.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Have you even met the guy? I mean, how can you call him a control freak..??? Come on, man...

Also, I don't think people here know the definition of "Egomaniac" or even "Egotistical".

Babcock is in no way self-centered. He never talks about his past successes. The first thing he does when the Leafs draft a player? He meets the player and has them bring him to their parents because he believes in the importance of family, and what families means to players. One thing that bugs some here, is when Babcock goes out of his way to give praise to the Hyman's, Brown's, Gauthiers, Hainsey's, Zaitsev's with the media because he wants his players to be praised for the good they do, rather than bashing them like the media generally does.

Babcock doesn't even come close to fit the definition of an "egomaniac", and it's hilarious when people call him "Egocock" because it's childish, and secondly, just shows a lack of knowledge by the poster who calls him it.

Stubborn in his processes? Sure. Arrogant? Perhaps. Ignorant? Sometimes. However just because one believes in their process doesn't mean they are Egomaniacs lmao

The Iceman

Sep 22, 2007
Is it the coaches or personel?
Pretty sure Leaf coaches didn't ever instruct Johnsson to turn his back to the puck carrier and allow a tap-in for DeBrusk.
Pretty sure coaches didn't tell Hainsey to deflect Marchand's shot to elude Freddy.
Freddy whiffed on the Krug's goal

that was the game. Why fire the assistant coaches??

Reactions: cookie

Egghead1999

Nov 9, 2007
Pretty sure Leaf coaches didn't ever instruct Johnsson to turn his back to the puck carrier and allow a tap-in for DeBrusk.
Pretty sure coaches didn't tell Hainsey to deflect Marchand's shot to elude Freddy.

Do you play tennis? my coach told me this "you may think you lose the point at the last swing, in fact, you lose that pt when you cannot make an adjustment"

Nylanderthal

Jun 9, 2010
There’s too much high end talent for the PP to struggle like it has and way too much money invested in coaching and off-Ice talent to not be better organized and prepared on the PK. Regardless of we squeak by an inferior Boston team there needs to be changes to our special teams.

Reactions: SAMCRO44

6ix

HitEmWit4LikeAustonM
Nov 26, 2014

It’s easily the coaches. The islanders went from last in the league in goals against, to first in the league in goals against. Shut down Pitts deadly PP too. Players didn’t change too much, but the coach did and now look.

Matthews has sniped like 3 goals from his off wing this series, why is he not their on the PP? He and Marner should swap sides, being on your off wing isn’t that big of a deal for the facilitator.

usernamezrhardtodo

Mar 26, 2014

I find it extremely hard to believe that Babs who is a micro manager on details is just letting the PP languish because Hiller has no new ideas and he is just fine with that. I think Babs is way too slow in making changes to schemes and even if Hiller came up with a new PP...Babs would nix it and say the old one worked...it has to work again.

Do you really think Babs would just sit back and have Hiller kill the PP and just say it was Hiller's job and he failed? I think the more likely scenario is they are just implementing Babs' vision on scheme and they really have no say on how to fix it without Babs approving it. It just doesn't make sense any other way. Babs wants this from the PP and he is getting it. It has not worked since NOVEMBER!! yet here we are doing the same thing as last year with JVR and Bozak missing.

I am not fond of DJ Smith...but really..he is just teaching what Babs wants done.

Reactions: Menzinger

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Assistant coaches are just an extension of the head coach. Firing them and keeping the head one in place is pointless - like amputating a leg because your entire body has a fever.

Nonis did the same thing to Caryle before the Leafs Inevitably fired him at a later date.

DJ Smith is just following Babs orders....

Reactions: usernamezrhardtodo

Rare Jewel

Patience
Jan 11, 2007
Leaf Land
You're not firing any coach on the basis of one game.

They do need to make adjustments, but Tuesday's game shouldn't make a difference. I think all three are safe.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
PK has been bad.

PP also pretty bad too. Phil Housley ran a pretty good PP in Nashville from what I recall, that might be a nice hire for us.

Reactions: Menzinger

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad