OT: The Football ( real football :P ) Thread

wheelz87

LGP
Jun 28, 2011
Pittsburgh
Morgan was awful too. Not that Rapinoe helped when they subbed her in either.

Best "game" they've played all tourney though. Shame it was one where they had the most/best chances and just got stoned only for the other team to pull it out in the end. Some of those penalties were terrible.
Morgan was terrible all tournament. Not a single goal. Obv she will go down as an all time great but she scored so many of her goals on speed alone/being the number 2 to wambach. Never saw her as a true 1 or all that ‘skilled’ per se but eh easy to say that now. All the forwards were super disappointing. And far from blaming Horan but she shouldnt be the best midfielder out there. (lavelle better ofc but yea)

Reactions: Buddy Bizarre

cookthebooks

Oct 4, 2017
morgan was absolutely a star for a decade based on her on the field play. shes just old now. with everyone healthy she wouldnt even have been on a merit based roster, but instead she is the locked in starter while the better 9 who more closely fits how the team plays languishes on the wing where she has always stunk.

Reactions: Buddy Bizarre

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Yea seems like she should have been more focused on her PK's vs what hair color she was going to rock each game.
something tells me her hair color didn't impact the result one little bit. I even bet she dyes it in the off-times when she wouldn't be practicing PK's regardless.

Buddy Bizarre

Jul 9, 2021
something tells me her hair color didn't impact the result one little bit. I even bet she dyes it in the off-times when she wouldn't be practicing PK's regardless.

It's more a commentary about people who talk a ton but don't back it up on the field. You want all this attention? Cool, but if you fail be prepared for the blowback.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
It's more a commentary about people who talk a ton but don't back it up on the field. You want all this attention? Cool, but if you fail be prepared for the blowback.
I certainly have no argument against criticism of their play :laugh: I just hate how much shit people give athletes for having literally any life outside of playing their sport.

Pens1566

Aug 2, 2005
WV

I mean, she's one of the more accomplished players in the last decade+ ... pointing at one failed PK and going "neener neener neener" because of something completely unrelated to the sport itself is kinda pointless.

Reactions: Ogrezilla

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Loudmouths always bring such things on themselves
it's true, but it doesn't mean the loudmouth is in the wrong or the people doing the "neener neenering" aren't just loudmouths themselves. I also think it's fair to say that the ratio of blowback per loudmouthing is well out of the norm for Rapinoe. Hard to put a finger on why, but I could probably make a couple of guesses.

DanielPlainview

Apr 28, 2009
Rapinoe is 100% in the wrong. She disrespects the country she "partially" represents, then whines when people give her crap about it. She's a moron. We don't need her. We don't need her poisonous ideas and words. I'd be glad she blew it if only she played for another team.

She put herself in the spotlight for very negative reasons and brought due blowback on herself. The women's team will be better off without her "leadership".

Last edited:

cookthebooks

Oct 4, 2017
megan rapinoe an absolute legend for what she accomplished on the field, but time comes for everyone. coach shouldve been smarter and less nostalgic. also everyone loves people who 'speak their minds' and 'say it how it is' until its stuff you dont agree with. regardless, rapinoe remained an absolutely gigantic draw with her and alex morgan having an incredibly outsized impact on match attendance.

cookthebooks

Oct 4, 2017
not only did that person not play a minute of that match she also didnt even dress for it. its just kind of crazy who is being called a loudmouth here lol

cookthebooks

Oct 4, 2017
beerensteyn follows up her taunting press conference of the uswnt with an utter disasterclass punctuated with her missing a sitter right before spain scored the match winner. sweden also eliminate tournament favorites japan, who seemed like they just ran out of gas. still insane to me that the uswnt allowed two shots on goal in four matches.

Reactions: Tasty Biscuits

Pens1566

Aug 2, 2005
WV
Great college game on Wednesday night down here in Morgantown. Had #1 Marshall in to play #5 WVU. Both teams were unbeaten coming in (WVU did have 4 draws though). Game was a sellout like 2+ weeks ago. Tickets being scalped outside for ~$100 a pop. Was an amazing atmosphere.

After a quick Marshall opener, they couldn't handle WVU's physical forward and he went for the HT in a 5-2 win.

Pens1566

Aug 2, 2005
WV
i am super curious how wva became such a college soccer powerhouse state!

WVU women's soccer team has been upper tier for quite a while now. Played for the natty a few years back.

I think with the men's team it was a combo of moving conferences and the change of head coach. Also, heavy investment in bringing in foreign players as well.

Can't really speak for Marshall though as I don't follow them other than when WVU beats them. They did win the NCAA championship 3 years ago. WVU's coach was an asst on that staff.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad