OT: The Food & Drinks Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Devourers

Sep 20, 2013
Montreal
czcfAY4.jpg

I'm happy

Nice. I ended up getting a 1.75L of Mountgay for 40$ USD. Can't find it at SAQ anymore and even when I did the 700ml was roughly 40$ CAD if not more.

Ended up eating at The Whip, Piecasso's and Charlie B's. Didn't get to try Blue Donkey as my parents had been there last time and weren't pleased with it. Stayed at Sun and Ski Lodge right next to it though.

There were also fireworks near our hotel on Sunday night around 9pm.

waffledave

waffledave, from hf
Aug 22, 2004
Montreal
Nice. I ended up getting a 1.75L of Mountgay for 40$ USD. Can't find it at SAQ anymore and even when I did the 700ml was roughly 40$ CAD if not more.

Ended up eating at The Whip, Piecasso's and Charlie B's. Didn't get to try Blue Donkey as my parents had been there last time and weren't pleased with it. Stayed at Sun and Ski Lodge right next to it though.

There were also fireworks near our hotel on Sunday night around 9pm.

Nice! I'm glad you enjoyed. I totally forgot to suggest Piecasso's but it is one of my favorite pizza places.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
I now know why I never saw any Honey Dijon Mustard Pulled Pork Sandwiches on Ciabatta Bread in the Smokehouses I've been to.

GoodKiwi

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2006
Why do the few Vegans that I know get more and more fat? Look at BGL.

Is it a case of like cows that eats grass and get bigger and bigger. :snide:

Haha...

It's becoming easier and easier to indulge for us. Look at NDG, it's turning into a hot-bed of veganism. I can throw a rock from my balcony and hit a vegan-friendly restaurant.

P.S. I may or may not have gained a few extra pounds recently myself... :oops:

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
Why do the few Vegans that I know get more and more fat? Look at BGL.

Is it a case of like cows that eats grass and get bigger and bigger. :snide:

BGL got fat for the same reason a guy like Benoit Brunet got fat. Metabolism goes down, food intake doesn't change. Boom, you're a fattie.

But then you have Doug Gilmour, who probably weights something like 160 pounds.

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
BGL got fat for the same reason a guy like Benoit Brunet got fat. Metabolism goes down, food intake doesn't change. Boom, you're a fattie.

But then you have Doug Gilmour, who probably weights something like 160 pounds.

But George has always been fat(esp. when he went to the Habs) and Dougie has always been pretty thin. What I don't get is why didn't it make George thinner the moment he became a Vegan? Is it a case where if you're thin you're gonna be thin and you're fat you're gonna be fat and it has zero effect(it only makes you healthier). I saw him during the summer and he was humongous!

I know he's not playing hockey anymore but he still is working out. But yea not playing hockey must have slowed down his metabolism. But I figure that being a Vegan must be like dieting, right? Like for instance the husband of my cousin stops working out when he is dieting cause he doesn't have the strenght to work out but he loses a ton of fat.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I'll be in Stowe. Lots of good things around, and I'll be visit Burlington as well. I know a place I can get Heady Topper in Stowe so hopefully I can swing that.

Never been in Stowe. I remember seeing references to it as a skiing spot.

Do you guys stay overnight or is it a great location as a one-day trip? And as far as places to see, plenty of restaurants already on this page. What are must-visit places (food or not)?

Also, I take it this is a great time of year to visit?

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
But George has always been fat(esp. when he went to the Habs) and Dougie has always been pretty thin. What I don't get is why didn't it make George thinner the moment he became a Vegan? Is it a case where if you're thin you're gonna be thin and you're fat you're gonna be fat and it has zero effect(it only makes you healthier). I saw him during the summer and he was humongous!

I know he's not playing hockey anymore but he still is working out. But yea not playing hockey must have slowed down his metabolism. But I figure that being a Vegan must be like dieting, right? Like for instance the husband of my cousin stops working out when he is dieting cause he doesn't have the strenght to work out but he loses a ton of fat.
Because becoming a vegan doesn't necessarily make you a) healthier or b) lose weight.

If all you eat are bowls of pasta, rice, chips nuts and drink sodas, well, that makes you a vegan, but a very unhealthy one, and if you eat a crap load of that, you will gain weight.

waffledave

waffledave, from hf
Aug 22, 2004
Montreal
Never been in Stowe. I remember seeing references to it as a skiing spot.

Do you guys stay overnight or is it a great location as a one-day trip? And as far as places to see, plenty of restaurants already on this page. What are must-visit places (food or not)?

Also, I take it this is a great time of year to visit?

It is definitely a ski town but is enjoyable all year round. I have been going there my entire life so it's kind of nostalgic for me.

I say a 1 day trip is definitely possible. I usually go for long weekends but spend 1 full day in Burlington.

It's a very small town. Like tiny. Many of the restaurants are relatively new but they are all pretty decent. In terms of stuff to do in the town proper, there isn't all that much. But if you like biking/running/hiking, you need to check out the rec path and Smuggler's Notch, especially this time of year with the leaves changing.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Was watching a Seth Meyers show a week ago and he had Martha Stewart on:

If you go to the 2:27 mark of the clip, you'll see a photo of her ginormous kitchen, that shows 4 types of hams that she served her guests:

Here's her list of hams:

“We had an ibérico ham, we had a La Quercia ham from the Midwest — they eat only acorns, the pigs, and it’s such a delicious ham,” she tells Meyers in the clip above. “We had a country ham from the Loveless motel down in Nashville... and we had a Pat LaFrieda ham.” Apparently the hams were such a hit that Martha didn’t have any leftovers. “I don’t even have a hambone — I don’t know who took the bones, I want the bones” she says.

This site paid attention to her choices: Martha Stewart Had a Four-Ham Holiday Party

Has anyone tried any of the above hams? If so, can you order them in Montreal? What's your experience?

SquiddFX

#Seanski
Dec 16, 2013
Montreal
I know Iberico Ham is super expensive but it's extremely high quality. Similar to italien prosciutto. I have never had it.

GoodKiwi

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2006
I know Iberico Ham is super expensive but it's extremely high quality. Similar to italien prosciutto. I have never had it.
Iberico ham isn't any different from prosciutto. Not as far as the curing process goes anyhow.

Prosciutto is typically aged longer but the main differences lie in how the pigs were raised and fed.

There's as good of ham in the south as there is in either Italy or Spain.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Thanks for your replies. So I guess we can get buy with our imported quality Italian prosciutto that is easily available locally.

If the difference in taste is not that important, we can do without spending the extra money to try it.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
So I decided to fuse Portuguese and Mexican.

First I made Piri Piri chicken tacos. Those were awesome. Then I went next level... Piri Piri chicken enchiladas. God damn I'm proud of myself on these... :laugh:

Reactions: Grate n Colorful Oz

GoodKiwi

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2006
Made my own rice noodles for the very first time last night. Used them for pad thai. Came out better than I expected (the noodles, not the dish), but nothing I'm especially proud of. As difficult as it is to mess up rice noodles I felt the texture wasn't what I'm used to.

GoodKiwi

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2006
So I decided to fuse Portuguese and Mexican.

First I made Piri Piri chicken tacos. Those were awesome. Then I went next level... Piri Piri chicken enchiladas. God damn I'm proud of myself on these... :laugh:
Flour or corn tortillas?

Can't have the latter myself anymore (lard), but just curious about the popular opinion on the delivery vehicle when it comes to tacos.

GoodKiwi

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2006
Thanks for your replies. So I guess we can get buy with our imported quality Italian prosciutto that is easily available locally.

If the difference in taste is not that important, we can do without spending the extra money to try it.

Strictly speaking, we're debating the same cut of pork - the leg. Now, there are some that say they can taste the difference by how well worked those muscles were during the animal's life. I, personally, have never bought it, but who can say with any certainty... The idea behind this theory is the proportion of fat to muscle, which makes sense. It's just that I'm not entirely sure if one can raise an animal with that in mind.

Once slaughtered, there are several, very tangible factors than can affect taste of the final product. Exposure to moisture and sunlight are the biggest two IMO. There are more variables too, say air quality and rotation of the product over time. Not as important IMO, but I'm not cognassier to say the least.

I think a lot of it is very superstitious, as far as cured ham goes at least. In my personal opinion, the ham that Sean Brock produces (acquires) is better than anything I've ever tasted across the pond. But this information is out of date as I haven't tasted an animal protein in a very long time now.

Reactions: Runner77

GoodKiwi

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2006
Next is bacalhau tacos

With all due respect, your sentiment is absurd (when it comes to classifying a taco that is). By its definition, a taco is not something that can be measured against its own competition. The "best" taco does not exist and never will.

It's difficult to even Google the original definition of word "taco" (because it's been bent due to its popularity over the last 30 years or so). But it translates (loosely) as a "bite". It doesn't speak of anything else. Not tortillas and certainly not the fillings.

P.S. I might be mistaken, but the first taco (as most know them now) was filled with white fish. So, it is the "original" taco as far as the modern meaning of the word is concerned.

Last edited:

SquiddFX

#Seanski
Dec 16, 2013
Montreal

It's hard to compare Jamon Iberico to proscuitto. There is proscuitto from different regions of Italy. Where as Iberico ham is from one region. There is Prosciutto di Crudo and Prosciutto di cotto where Crudo is cured and Cotto is boiled.

Yes they are all made from the thigh or leg of a pig.

Prosciutto di Crudo, which is what we are talking about is made from pigs or wild boar.

Jamon Iberico is from a specific breed of pig, black Iberian pigs. Think of it like Wagyu vs regular beef. The pigs are raised a specific way.

The only real comparison would be a Prosciutto di Parma where the pigs are fed Parmigiano Reggiano whey in their diet.

Reactions: Runner77

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Flour or corn tortillas?

Can't have the latter myself anymore (lard), but just curious about the popular opinion on the delivery vehicle when it comes to tacos.
I used flour. Feel free to make it your own though, that's what cooking's all about.

TRG

Oct 23, 2008
Montréal
With all due respect, your sentiment is absurd (when it comes to classifying a taco that is). By its definition, a taco is not something that can be measured against its own competition. The "best" taco does not exist and never will.

It's difficult to even Google the original definition of word "taco" (because it's been bent due to its popularity over the last 30 years or so). But it translates (loosely) as a "bite". It doesn't speak of anything else. Not tortillas and certainly not the fillings.

P.S. I might be mistaken, but the first taco (as most know them now) was filled with white fish. So, it is the "original" taco as far as the modern meaning of the word is concerned.

Oh I just said that because he's mixing different cuisines and bacalhau(cod fish) is a staple of Portuguese cuisine.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Found this interesting.

aOrYPZ6_700bwp.webp

I don't know how representative this might be from one distiller to another or for different types of shot alcohol. Based on this, you start seeing a deep rich color from the 12th year. Also begs the question about how indicative color is of taste.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad