Status
Not open for further replies.

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
0ad.jpg

ArtPeur

Have a Snickers
Mar 30, 2010
I like to joke about tea but I prefer coffee, there's always time for more coffee

I aint boutta watch a video with a strong nord dude as a thumbnail

Man, didn't you know that drinking tea is very manly? The Vikings stopped raiding England once they discovered tea.

Reactions: groovejuice

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
Cate Blanchett was on Jimmy Fallon's show last week and mentioned how she's always disappointed by US burgers as they don't contain any beets, caramelized onions and eggs.

First, she proceeded to introduce a traditional Australian burger, which she slapped down to get the egg to ooze out.

And then she presented a veggie burger that she called the Superiority Burger. Here's the segment:

Found the Superiority Burger recipe here:

Superiority Burgers

Not sure if there's a Y/T video using exactly this recipe.

Has anyone tried it?

As for the Aussie style meat burger, there are several Y/T videos that I've seen, with variations, but they include a pineapple slice, bacon, tomato, cheddar cheese, lettuce together with the caramelized onion, beets and egg. Simple enough, will try it.

Man love Cate Blanchett totally my kind of woman.

CalgarySnow

Oct 21, 2017
I'm trying to add a hot beverage to my daily routine and wanted to see if I could try tea.

I'm a coffee guy but feel like having something different on afternoons and perhaps evenings. A tea in the afternoon and something with no caffeine in the evening. Hot beverages are appealing, you can have them slowly and they get your mind off eating stuff you regret later.

With that in mind, I'd like to try different teas to see what I might really like. My tea uneducated tongue has enjoyed the standard English breakfast you get served everywhere.

I know I could simply go to David's Tea and spend a small fortune but I'm told I can get great tea online for a fraction of the cost and it is excellent. It comes from England, India and China. But I don't know where to start.

Those of you who appreciate a fine tea and order online, can you provide suggestions of teas to try and online sites you trust enough to order from regularly?

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

As you know I’m English, but I hate tea lol. From personal experience of teas that I have been known to drink in the past, Yorkshire Tea is representative of a good general English tea (as someone from Yorkshire,which is the best county, this is the best bog standard tea) otherwise a cup of Earl Grey is very pleasing (unless you hate bergamot). I’m a coffee drinker but if I ever just fancy a cup of tea I go Earl Grey but it has to be in a china cup as it doesn’t taste the same in a mug, keep the mug for the Yorkshire tea and always, always add the milk last.

CalgarySnow

Oct 21, 2017
And I thank you sir.....will certainly give it a whirl :)

I have at least 25 cans of beans in my cold room. The baby kidney beans are my favourite
Stupid question coming but I’m allergic to kidney beans, good with whatever baked beans (British bake beans) are made of, are black beans any relation to kidney beans as I love Mexican food so would like to try them and refried beans

Reactions: groovejuice

CalgarySnow

Oct 21, 2017
Booze reviews!!!!

We don't have a liquor thread but since it's a natural ally of food, thought it would be appropriate to reprise a discussion from last night's GDT about hard liquor, hopefully inviting more comments:

My friend is Russian and she wouldn’t touch any vodka available here, having tasted her Russian vodka I confirm it tastes like gasoline and I understand why. Give me western vodka any day of the week. Can anyone confirm that Costco vodka is made by the same people as Grey Goose?

Summing up on the foregoing:

Tequilas: stay away from Cuervo. Groove recommends Chinaco Reposado (no price point discussed). Guapo recommends Herradura and Cazadores, great quality for the price. Says Cazadores is about $35 now, cheaper than it used to be. Pacman likes Patron.

Rums: Guapo recommends the 7 year Flor de Cana from Nicaragua, better than the more aged versions of this variety. His all time favorite is Zacapa from Guatemala, is expensive, $120-$170, best to buy when traveling. Mario likes El Dorado special reserved 15 and Diplomatico Reserva Exclusiva. Both are around 60$.

Vodkas: Pacman likes Belvedere and Double Cross and says Belvedere is somewhat fruity. Guapo too likes Belvedere. Jaffy recommends Chopin, tried it in Poland, doesn't say if it's available in Canada.

So, are there any drinks that you'll take with a mixer? For instance, I enjoy a Tanqueray gin with a mixer but it has to be quality. For those drinks where I use a mixer, this is the one I'll buy: Fever-Tree Premium Natural Mixers

Any further recommendations? We don't have suggestions re cognac, brandy, scotch, whiskey, gins, etc. I take it you mostly prefer without mixers? Do you add ice or is that a no-no?
My friend is

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Stupid question coming but I’m allergic to kidney beans, good with whatever baked beans (British bake beans) are made of, are black beans any relation to kidney beans as I love Mexican food so would like to try them and refried beans
My guess is youd be allergic to most legumes if youre allergic to kidney beans.

lo striver

Jun 13, 2011
Our Lady of Grace
As you know I’m English, but I hate tea lol. From personal experience of teas that I have been known to drink in the past, Yorkshire Tea is representative of a good general English tea (as someone from Yorkshire,which is the best county, this is the best bog standard tea) otherwise a cup of Earl Grey is very pleasing (unless you hate bergamot). I’m a coffee drinker but if I ever just fancy a cup of tea I go Earl Grey but it has to be in a china cup as it doesn’t taste the same in a mug, keep the mug for the Yorkshire tea and always, always add the milk last.
Yeah, keep it simple, Runner77, go for Earl Grey from David's Tea.

Reactions: Runner77

CalgarySnow

Oct 21, 2017
Yeah, keep it simple, Runner77, go for Earl Grey from David's Tea.

I always drank Twinings Earl Grey, not sure you can get it over here. If you’re being sarcastic I already claimed I don’t like tea, I’m a coffee drinker but those teas are what I liked

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
Love Indian recipes for chick peas and lentils, dhal is one of my favourite easy go to recipe

Yeah, I can see how there are so many vegetarians in India, and its not just because of religions. You don't feel like you are missing anything at all with their vibrant veggie palette.

I don't remember craving meat while I was there.

lo striver

Jun 13, 2011
Our Lady of Grace
I always drank Twinings Earl Grey, not sure you can get it over here. If you’re being sarcastic I already claimed I don’t like tea, I’m a coffee drinker but those teas are what I liked
I think it is sold at local supermarkets. I visited England last year and 2 things surprised me most - you can get tea pretty much anywhere, but tea bags only. I have not found a single establishment that actually brewed tea. The other shocker was that most of the people actually don't care about football. :laugh:

Spearmint Rhino

Sep 17, 2013
I'm trying to add a hot beverage to my daily routine and wanted to see if I could try tea.

I'm a coffee guy but feel like having something different on afternoons and perhaps evenings. A tea in the afternoon and something with no caffeine in the evening. Hot beverages are appealing, you can have them slowly and they get your mind off eating stuff you regret later.

With that in mind, I'd like to try different teas to see what I might really like. My tea uneducated tongue has enjoyed the standard English breakfast you get served everywhere.

I know I could simply go to David's Tea and spend a small fortune but I'm told I can get great tea online for a fraction of the cost and it is excellent. It comes from England, India and China. But I don't know where to start.

Those of you who appreciate a fine tea and order online, can you provide suggestions of teas to try and online sites you trust enough to order from regularly?

Thanks in advance for any assistance.
If any of my friends ask I will deny I drink tea ever, but I started about 2 years ago. Biggest thing is if you still want caffeine of not, for me I'd rather have coffee if I want the buzz, I have the tea for the relaxation. Chamomile isn't bad, a little flowery, lemon ginger is good when you're battling the flu, my favourite is probably peppermint - very relaxing to reduce stress and anxiety - they all make you pee a lot - or maybe cause I'm old so don't drink them too late before bed haha

Spearmint Rhino

Sep 17, 2013
Cate Blanchett was on Jimmy Fallon's show last week and mentioned how she's always disappointed by US burgers as they don't contain any beets, caramelized onions and eggs.

First, she proceeded to introduce a traditional Australian burger, which she slapped down to get the egg to ooze out.

And then she presented a veggie burger that she called the Superiority Burger. Here's the segment:

Found the Superiority Burger recipe here:

Superiority Burgers

Not sure if there's a Y/T video using exactly this recipe.

Has anyone tried it?

As for the Aussie style meat burger, there are several Y/T videos that I've seen, with variations, but they include a pineapple slice, bacon, tomato, cheddar cheese, lettuce together with the caramelized onion, beets and egg. Simple enough, will try it.

It's funny cause the Aussies are all switching over to American style burgers now - thank god!! Beetroot and eggs do not belong on a burger. Until recently you couldn't even get orange cheese anywhere - white cheddar just doesn't taste the same or maybe it's optics. What they call bacon is just ham, again a fail on a burger but finally getting crispy bacon (they call it streaky bacon). Pineapple's ok on a chicken burger but not beef.

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
It's funny cause the Aussies are all switching over to American style burgers now - thank god!! Beetroot and eggs do not belong on a burger. Until recently you couldn't even get orange cheese anywhere - white cheddar just doesn't taste the same or maybe it's optics. What they call bacon is just ham, again a fail on a burger but finally getting crispy bacon (they call it streaky bacon). Pineapple's ok on a chicken burger but not beef.

The best burger I've ever eaten had beetroot relish. It's at a restaurant called Krafty in Kelowna. In europe I'm ecstatic to find a competently made cheeseburger because you get the weirdest burgers here. Like, an alien-who-is-wearing-a-human-suit-and-trying-to-fit-in's idea of a hamburger. There's a place in Amsterdam that gives me everything I want out of my cheeseburger experience.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad