The Flames Window of Being Contenders

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
Cup contenders? Don't really consider the Flames there yet. Not really talking about the crap shoot that is the Stanley Cup Playoffs but to me they're not in the conversation for being a top 5 team in the league. Maybe that changes if Smith plays at an elite level and our young guys take big steps forward(looking at Bennett and Monahan specifically). Really the Flames added a goalie and a decent top 4 D, plenty of teams did that and more.

Don't get me wrong, this is probably the best roster Calgary has put out in 25 years or at least since 08. They should be contending for a division, Treliving has structured the team very well. Just won't be putting them in the elite category until I see the young forwards consistently out perform their opposition.

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
For us to be true contenders for the cup (this year) we need some/many, but not all of these boxes to be ticked:

- Monahan needs a consistent standard of play throughout the season
- Same with Gaudreau, but we also need him to be the dynamic offensive catalyst we know he can be.
- Ferland needs to step up to at least a 40 point forward while playing with the top line
- Backlund can't take a step back from last year
- Tkachuk can't have a rookie slump
- Bennett needs to step up to a 40-50 point player
- Brodie needs to consistently bounce back to the player we know he can be
- need more young prospects like Kulak and Jankowski to step up and become full time/impact NHL players
- Smith needs to be at least above average, and Lack needs to bounce back to 1B status, especially in case Smith gets hurt.
- Brouwer needs to bounce back to at least 3rd liner level
- Stone needs to solidify the third pair.

Obviously if we got all of these we'd be a favorite to win the cup. But to take that next step, those are some of the things it will take.

Ongoing/longterm, we need an heir to Smith, whether it's Gilles/Parsons/Lack/Other. We need one of our D prospects to step up to replace Gio someday and/or one of Hamonic or Brodie. We need some forward prospects to fill in the spots on the roster to replace some of our non-core players once we are paying all of our stars big bucks.

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
For us to be true contenders for the cup (this year) we need some/many, but not all of these boxes to be ticked:

- Monahan needs a consistent standard of play throughout the season
- Same with Gaudreau, but we also need him to be the dynamic offensive catalyst we know he can be.
- Ferland needs to step up to at least a 40 point forward while playing with the top line
- Backlund can't take a step back from last year
- Tkachuk can't have a rookie slump
- Bennett needs to step up to a 40-50 point player
- Brodie needs to consistently bounce back to the player we know he can be
- need more young prospects like Kulak and Jankowski to step up and become full time/impact NHL players
- Stone needs to solidify the third pair.

expecting all of these to happen.

- Smith needs to be at least above average, and Lack needs to bounce back to 1B status, especially in case Smith gets hurt.
- Brouwer needs to bounce back to at least 3rd liner level

Not so sure about these.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
FF, I think if all those happen we win the President's trophy.

Honestly, to be a legit contender IMO, only a few things need to happen

- Gaudreau bounce back
- Smith play better than Elliott
- No slow start
- 2 of Ferland/Bennett/Brouwer/Versteeg needs to be a 40 point player
- Win in Anaheim (the psychological boost will be huge)

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
FF, I think if all those happen we win the President's trophy.

Honestly, to be a legit contender IMO, only a few things need to happen

- Gaudreau bounce back
- Smith play better than Elliott
- No slow start
- 2 of Ferland/Bennett/Brouwer/Versteeg needs to be a 40 point player
- Win in Anaheim (the psychological boost will be huge)

I think that makes a lock for the playoffs, I don't think it makes us a cup contender, which is what I was aiming at.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
We have more good contracts then any team in the NHL. If we aren't contenders something is seriously wrong.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
The defense should improve from last year
Gaudreau and Bennett need to be better
Rest need to be at least as good as last year

but if the goalies bomb, the Flames will be going for the Dahlin sweepstake without a ticket

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad