GDT: The Flames play the Panthers in ~3.5 hours (7:30MT)

Tofveve

Mar 10, 2013
The West
Don’t think it’s as much of a management problem as much as a Ruzicka problem, here’s his pre-draft scouting report and it outlines everything we are still seeing to this day.
Pretty much says he has the skills, but lacks the will to use them on anything close to a consistent basis. How we’ve managed him seems like a far lesser cause when this appears to just be a long standing Ruzicka problem. Shame too, because with a better attitude Ruzicka really could’ve been something in the NHL.

Welp I might have to take my lumps on this one. The scouting report pretty much said it. But at the same.time, I felt the leash was really short when he was racking up points and playing well overall in some call-up stints a couple of years ago. Anyway, we'll see what happens. Future doesn't look too bright at the moment.

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
What was the narrative on Ruzicka? That he was a point per game player that evil Darryl Sutter demoted because he turned the puck over once or something?

Reactions: Tofveve

Tofveve

Mar 10, 2013
The West
In fairness to Ruz, I think some Europeans don't fair well in under old-school north American style play. I mean as stated before, jarnkrok played like a scared rabbit under Darryl. Now he's thriving in Toronto, or at least closer to what he was in Nashville. I still think Ruz management has hurt him.

Tofveve

Mar 10, 2013
The West
What was the narrative on Ruzicka? That he was a point per game player that evil Darryl Sutter demoted because he turned the puck over once or something?

Well my narrative is he'd get a couple of nice pts on the pp, or 3 or 4 pts in 4 or 5 games and then get sat or sent to the minors. I don't feel he had an wiggle room or room to grow and stumble a bit. Maybe the scouts weren't exactly fair either. Who knows. I never minded his play the first couple of years. Now he's mostly demoted to the 4th line. Haven't really noticed if he's picked up any pp time lately where he was strong before IMO.

Reactions: Iggys Dome

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Whenever I watch Ruzicka play, I have concerns about his defensive reads. He seems to be a second late recognizing when a play is about to become dangerous and he needs to change his trajectory to be in position.

I feel like he's basically Joe Colborne without the insane puck protection.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Don’t think it’s as much of a management problem as much as a Ruzicka problem, here’s his pre-draft scouting report and it outlines everything we are still seeing to this day.
Pretty much says he has the skills, but lacks the will to use them on anything close to a consistent basis. How we’ve managed him seems like a far lesser cause when this appears to just be a long standing Ruzicka problem. Shame too, because with a better attitude Ruzicka really could’ve been something in the NHL.
I'm not sure it is "will", guys don't reach the pinnacle of professional sports without trying their best. He lacks consistency because he doesn't have the ability to be that good all the time.

I know whenever I played hockey my ups and downs weren't effort related, some games things would go right and I'd have a great game, others they didn't and I had shitty games.

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
Well my narrative is he'd get a couple of nice pts on the pp, or 3 or 4 pts in 4 or 5 games and then get sat or sent to the minors. I don't feel he had an wiggle room or room to grow and stumble a bit. Maybe the scouts weren't exactly fair either. Who knows. I never minded his play the first couple of years. Now he's mostly demoted to the 4th line. Haven't really noticed if he's picked up any pp time lately where he was strong before IMO.
He'd show glimpses of something good, but while picking up a few points or having a run of games where he showed up on the scoresheet, he wasn't really doing much to warrant any faith in him.

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
Hard to work on your NHL consistency when you're getting anywhere from 6-11 minutes a night. Ruz has 8pts in 27GP this season and 39 in 102 on his career, which I dunno seems about right for that kind of icetime and those kind of linemates. Being saddled with Dillon where plays go to die Dube this year hasn't helped either.

Maybe once Lindholm is offloaded that ATOI number can creep up to closer to 15. I don't think Ruz makes an effective C, doesn't have good footspeed and if you don't have good footspeed you need a Jordan Staal level of positional understanding. This is just kind of an educated guess from what I remember but I think he was much more productive on the W.

Tofveve

Mar 10, 2013
The West
Hard to work on your NHL consistency when you're getting anywhere from 6-11 minutes a night. Ruz has 8pts in 27GP this season and 39 in 102 on his career, which I dunno seems about right for that kind of icetime and those kind of linemates. Being saddled with Dillon where plays go to die Dube this year hasn't helped either.

Maybe once Lindholm is offloaded that ATOI number can creep up to closer to 15. I don't think Ruz makes an effective C, doesn't have good footspeed and if you don't have good footspeed you need a Jordan Staal level of positional understanding. This is just kind of an educated guess from what I remember but I think he was much more productive on the W.

I think this says it pretty well tbh. Though I do think he could be alright as a centremam on faceoffs at least. But I hardly know what to think anymore because he's never had consistent minutes or roles with skilled players beside him.

I compare his usage to practically any other Flame in our top 9 and almost any other player of note has been given really long chances to do nothing over large chunks of games. Dube is probably the prime example, but so has Mangi who for years now can have hot streaks but then can go cold for weeks on end (as in non-existent practically). Guys like Zary are shining and are well-deserving of their minutes, but both he and Posp have at least had significant stretches of play in the top 6. It just felt like Ruz got 2 or 3 games, maybe 5 games then if he had a hiccup he'd be demoted several lines or sat or even sent down. I'm a broken record I know.

Basically I'm agreeing with Bounces that it's pretty difficult to show much with 4th line minutes and meh linemates.

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
Guys like Zary are shining and are well-deserving of their minutes, but both he and Posp have at least had significant stretches of play in the top 6. It just felt like Ruz got 2 or 3 games, maybe 5 games then if he had a hiccup he'd be demoted several lines or sat or even sent down. I'm a broken record I know.

Basically I'm agreeing with Bounces that it's pretty difficult to show much with 4th line minutes and meh linemates.
When comparing him to Zary this season, he's not been worse other than his luck metrics being way worse than Zary's. In that way, Zary has really benefited from being paired with Kadri so far, and not the other way around. Zary 4.4 shots/60 while shooting 28% since being called up. Zary is the "young player getting the deserved chance" that everyone clamors for, so he's getting a lot of love, and I get that, I'm just not that excited about him as a player yet.

Yepthatsme

Oct 25, 2020
I'm not sure it is "will", guys don't reach the pinnacle of professional sports without trying their best. He lacks consistency because he doesn't have the ability to be that good all the time.

I know whenever I played hockey my ups and downs weren't effort related, some games things would go right and I'd have a great game, others they didn't and I had shitty games.
I would usually agree, lots of fans confuse “not even trying, mailing it in” with players who are just not drawing themselves out of position to make a play. But with Ruzicka it really does seem like he just drops parts of his game for long stretches. When he was on, he was using his frame for puck protection, and just making power moves against smaller defenders to cut to the middle. He was also stripping pucks off players at pretty high rates. That part of his game disappears when he’s for long stretches seemingly.

Could be just the case that he has immense talent and has always just been able to rely on that in every other league for results. That advantage disappears in the NHL when everyone has it as well, even was the case in the AHL as well for him. Played with a lot of players as well who would absolutely torch the league in their sleep, but never made the next level once they couldn’t just rely on being that much better than everyone else. AKA that guy who was just impossible to touch the puck when he had it and could make insane passes or accept any pass, and just never had to take it seriously because of it. Can call it “Johnny Manziel” syndrome.

Last edited:

Yepthatsme

Oct 25, 2020

Have to start asking yourself why he gets himself a shorter leash, when other young guys like Zary, Pospisil, Pelletier and co. get lengthy looks even during dry spells. I know “play the kids more” is the theme of our board currently, but when he’s the only one of the kids getting singled out may want to start asking why, especially across multiple coaches now.

You’re right though, he had his best stretch playing LW with Lindholm and Toffoli, and remained productive for a while when he got shifted to Backlund’s LW. Never had more than a single point with any other iteration of forwards or position.

Last edited:

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
Have to start asking yourself why he gets himself a shorter leash, when other young guys like Zary, Pospisil, Pelletier and co. get lengthy looks even during dry spells. I know “play the kids more” is the theme of our board currently, but when he’s the only one of the kids getting singled out may want to start asking why, especially across multiple coaches now.

You’re right though, he had his best stretch playing LW with Lindholm and Toffoli, and remained productive for a while when he got shifted to Backlund’s LW. Never had more than a single point with any other iteration of forwards.

Don't really have to ask myself why, it's fairly obvious. I think most in this thread can recognize that he struggles with consistently using his tools effectively. So do a lot of guys in their early mid 20s. Sometimes things click for em and sometimes they don't. 100GP is a good sample size but not enough for me to definitively say he's going to be this or won't be that. I'm not even saying his play has warranted more ice time, just that it is hard to find consistency as a NHLer when you're getting 7 minutes a night.

He's kind of in no mans land where the team has 9 fwds better than him but he's not waiver material either. I don't think his skillset is really suited for the 4C position. Sounds like I'm making excuses for him but I just don't think he's currently in a great position to succeed, and with the aforementioned lack of consistency it's not super surprising that he's been mildly disappointing this season.

Would be curious to see what a Ruzicka - Lindholm - Sharangovich would look like. I'd be loathe to break up the Kadri line at the moment but we have to get Huberdeau going somehow. Pospisil is the type of player who's game doesn't really rely on linemates anyway.

Zary - Kadri - Huberdeau
Ruzicka - Lindholm - Sharangovich
Mangiapane - Backlund - Coleman
Greer - Dube - Pospisil

I think this says it pretty well tbh. Though I do think he could be alright as a centremam on faceoffs at least. But I hardly know what to think anymore because he's never had consistent minutes or roles with skilled players beside him.

I compare his usage to practically any other Flame in our top 9 and almost any other player of note has been given really long chances to do nothing over large chunks of games. Dube is probably the prime example, but so has Mangi who for years now can have hot streaks but then can go cold for weeks on end (as in non-existent practically). Guys like Zary are shining and are well-deserving of their minutes, but both he and Posp have at least had significant stretches of play in the top 6. It just felt like Ruz got 2 or 3 games, maybe 5 games then if he had a hiccup he'd be demoted several lines or sat or even sent down. I'm a broken record I know.

Yeah I mean scoring streaks are just part of hockey. Players go hot and cold production wise all the time. But the other parts of the game you need to establish a baseline if you want a long career like Coleman or Backlund.

If I have one wish for Ruz it would be to work on being assertive. He has a tendency to try to read a play and pick off passes with his reach, which tbf he's pretty good at it. But sometimes the better option is go win the puck using that big frame of his. Doesn't need to be laying guys out to be effective physically.

Tofveve

Mar 10, 2013
The West
I feel like I missed why Duehr isn't getting a fairer shake or if this is temporary. I'd say after Zary he's impressed me most but then got juggled around some became sort of unnoticeable a bit but whatevs. When he's rolling the upside/potential looked really good.

Coronato looked good the first few games but I'd say he fell quickly to looking pretty mediocre and smallish though admittedly he's still young and its been a small sample-size. And though his shot is good it's not exactly Laineesque or Stamkosesque. So I'm fairly guarded on him.

Posp has looked decent to good as well.

Zary to me (though sure benefittng from linemates like Kadz) has shown the most. He's demonstrated confidence like a Tkachuk and trying skilled things that might not always work but more often then not do because he's just being confident. And he does have a terrific skill set, clearly. I'm probably most interested to watch his development and if it can be sustained and even improved upon.

NinjaTurtle

Feb 29, 2020
Windsor, Ont.
Don't really have to ask myself why, it's fairly obvious. I think most in this thread can recognize that he struggles with consistently using his tools effectively. So do a lot of guys in their early mid 20s. Sometimes things click for em and sometimes they don't. 100GP is a good sample size but not enough for me to definitively say he's going to be this or won't be that. I'm not even saying his play has warranted more ice time, just that it is hard to find consistency as a NHLer when you're getting 7 minutes a night.

He's kind of in no mans land where the team has 9 fwds better than him but he's not waiver material either. I don't think his skillset is really suited for the 4C position. Sounds like I'm making excuses for him but I just don't think he's currently in a great position to succeed, and with the aforementioned lack of consistency it's not super surprising that he's been mildly disappointing this season.

Would be curious to see what a Ruzicka - Lindholm - Sharangovich would look like. I'd be loathe to break up the Kadri line at the moment but we have to get Huberdeau going somehow. Pospisil is the type of player who's game doesn't really rely on linemates anyway.

Zary - Kadri - Huberdeau
Greer - Dube - Pospisil

Yeah I mean scoring streaks are just part of hockey. Players go hot and cold production wise all the time. But the other parts of the game you need to establish a baseline if you want a long career like Coleman or Backlund.

If I have one wish for Ruz it would be to work on being assertive. He has a tendency to try to read a play and pick off passes with his reach, which tbf he's pretty good at it. But sometimes the better option is go win the puck using that big frame of his. Doesn't need to be laying guys out to be effective physically.

I agree with the logic behind this line up and would give it a try. May be a way to balance the top 3 lines while getting some guys going. That fourth line has potential to be chaotic and productive in a good way too.

Yepthatsme

Oct 25, 2020

Zary - Kadri - Huberdeau
Greer - Dube - Pospisil

I’ve never understood why posters call for meritocracy when vets play bad, then swivel around and say it doesn’t matter when kids play bad, we should gift them more opportunity instead. Happened with Bennett when he was brutal, happened with Phillips when he had a pretty poor game, and now Ruzicka is playing awful and the answer is to promote him? Where’s the calls for meritocracy there, or are the reserved for people 28+?

You said it yourself, we currently have 9 better forwards. Why punish someone with a demotion for a guy who has done nothing to deserve it? Imagine the message it sends Pospisil when he gets demoted after working relentlessly and battling injuries for every minute of NHL ice time he’s gotten so far? Ruzicka actually started the year with a lot more ice time and powerplay time than he’s currently getting, his poor play is the reason for the situation he’s currently in. We actually have a skill line as our 4th line for the first time in ages, and Ruzicka is being handily out shown by AJ Greer of all players. If he shows no signs of positive impacts or even playing the right way, why does he deserve better opportunities at the expense of players who do other than “he’s 24” (one year less than Dube mind you)?

Let him show some signs of positive impact before talks of promotion, and at this point he’s trending towards waivers tag his current playing level with Coronato emerging and Pelletier coming closer to a return date.

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
Ruzicka’s season was torpedoed by his concussion. He was playing extremely well before that.

The answer is really that simple

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
I’ve never understood why posters call for meritocracy when vets play bad, then swivel around and say it doesn’t matter when kids play bad, we should gift them more opportunity instead. Happened with Bennett when he was brutal, happened with Phillips when he had a pretty poor game, and now Ruzicka is playing awful and the answer is to promote him? Where’s the calls for meritocracy there, or are the reserved for people 28+?

You said it yourself, we currently have 9 better forwards. Why punish someone with a demotion for a guy who has done nothing to deserve it? Imagine the message it sends Pospisil when he gets demoted after working relentlessly and battling injuries for every minute of NHL ice time he’s gotten so far? Ruzicka actually started the year with a lot more ice time and powerplay time than he’s currently getting, his poor play is the reason for the situation he’s currently in. We actually have a skill line as our 4th line for the first time in ages, and Ruzicka is being handily out shown by AJ Greer of all players. If he shows no signs of positive impacts or even playing the right way, why does he deserve better opportunities at the expense of players who do other than “he’s 24” (one year less than Dube mind you)?

Let him show some signs of positive impact before talks of promotion, and at this point he’s trending towards waivers tag his current playing level with Coronato emerging and Pelletier coming closer to a return date.

Not sure if you just want to argue(in which case sure I'm always up for it) or what but did you actually read the post ?
:
I'm not even saying his play has warranted more ice time, just that it is hard to find consistency as a NHLer when you're getting 7 minutes a night.

It's not about gifting opportunity. It's not about Ruzicka or promotion or demotion. Flames have always been so focused on this earned never given mantra they handicap their own players. Been that way since Hartley was fired.

I don't think Ruz is well suited for the 4C role and that the Flames could get more out of him elsewhere. He plays scared to make mistakes at center.
Huberdeau hasn't scored a pt in 9 games. Put him with the two guys that are going offensively right now.
Dube has been less than useless on the wing all season and most of last season. If you insist on playing him put him at 4C and let him do the one thing he's shown he can do competently at this level, transport the puck through the NZ.
Mangiapane hasn't had any traction with Lindholm, put him back with two guys he knows well and has shown chemistry with before.
Pospisil is going to play his game no matter what line he's on. North south bang crash. Him and Greer could make a good agitating duo.

It's about effective lineup construction. Maybe if you get a 4th line you like you can play them for more than 7 minutes. The only way this team is going to be anything is if everyone is going and have roles they can find success in.

Last edited:

joescores

Mar 21, 2011
Not sure if you just want to argue(in which case sure I'm always up for it) or what but did you actually read the post ?
:

It's not about gifting opportunity. It's not about Ruzicka or promotion or demotion. Flames have always been so focused on this earned never given mantra they handicap their own players. Been that way since Hartley was fired.

I don't think Ruz is well suited for the 4C role and that the Flames could get more out of him elsewhere. He plays scared to make mistakes at center.
Huberdeau hasn't scored a pt in 9 games. Put him with the two guys that are going offensively right now.
Dube has been less than useless on the wing all season and most of last season. If you insist on playing him put him at 4C and let him do the one thing he's shown he can do competently at this level, transport the puck through the NZ.
Mangiapane hasn't had any traction with Lindholm, put him back with two guys he knows well and has shown chemistry with before.
Pospisil is going to play his game no matter what line he's on. North south bang crash. Him and Greer could make a good agitating duo.

It's about effective lineup construction. Maybe if you get a 4th line you like you can play them for more than 7 minutes. The only way this team is going to be anything is if everyone is going and have roles they can find success in.
Huberdeau with Kadri and Zary? Spoon-fed approach to accommodate a washed up elephant on the expense of young hard working player who has earned it (5 concussions and injuries in his recent AHL career)? What message are you sending to Martin? He is getting hot again (was most likely playing with an injured shoulder last 10).

Keep our no 1 line in tact.

Let's take on a few bad contracts and trade this man. He is not going to work here.

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
Huberdeau with Kadri and Zary? Spoon-fed approach to accommodate a washed up elephant on the expense of young hard working player who has earned it (5 concussions and injuries in his recent AHL career)? What message are you sending to Martin? He is getting hot again (was most likely playing with an injured shoulder last 10). Keep our no 1 line in tact.

I get what you're saying and agree it would suck to break up that line(at least right now), but to the bolded : Who cares? Guy has played 20 NHL games. Go play your ass off on whatever line your head coach tells you to. His only response to being asked to jump is yes sir how high would you like it. If he takes it personal and pouts and starts dragging his ass he's not a teammate who is going to go do whatever it takes to win anyway.

Sick of this team coddling and submitting and acquiescing to players' personal feelings. They let Johnny Gaudreau string them along and are now doing the same with Lindholm and Hanifin. Put together a team that wants to be here and wants to all pull in the same direction.

Let's take on a few bad contracts and trade this man. He is not going to work here.

Nobody and I mean absolutely nobody is taking him on. Not for all the Lucic or Neal bad money in the world. His contract is essentially buyout proof. Flames are stuck with him for the foreseeable future.

The reality is Pospisil represents an investment of a 4th rd pick and a salary of ~500,000 left before becoming a RFA next offseason.
The investment the team has made in Jonathan Huberdeau, I'm sure I need to tell exactly zero people here, is far more substantial.

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012

Younger = better. That's why Phillips is a regular player in Washington's top six, and is scoring a Hollywood-scripted goal almost every night. Can't wait for the next highlight clip show sticking it to Flames management.

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.
I feel like I missed why Duehr isn't getting a fairer shake or if this is temporary. I'd say after Zary he's impressed me most but then got juggled around some became sort of unnoticeable a bit but whatevs. When he's rolling the upside/potential looked really good.
Greer has taken his roster spot. And I'm okay with that, I just wish Alternate Jarome would play with a bit more sandpaper.

Yepthatsme

Oct 25, 2020
:

Flames biggest roster problem is all of Huberdeau, Mangiapane, and Dube all play much worse on their off wing, while we have far too many LWs. Regardless, you don’t break up what is currently one of the best lines in hockey (7th best xG%, best G%) to see if something else might work. Solution is actually pretty simple, just swap Mangiapane and Huberdeau. Both are struggling, and Mangiapane has really only found success in the NHL on the Backlund line, and they dominate with him on it which they don’t do with Huberdeau. Huberdeau with Lindholm actually has the best G/60 of any line we’ve tried, and Sharangovich is playing some of his best hockey currently and Huberdeau gets shooters to pass to.

If the 4th line is such a problem (it’s not), swap Dube to centre, Ruzicka to LW, and let Greer play his offside or sub Duehr in. Let one of them show they could actually help the team in a larger role, because right now everyone but Greer should be more worried about their future on the team than a promotion. The 4th line is the least important role in hockey. Don’t change anything for the sake of “getting them going”.

Also I didn’t quote the post, but yes any human being will be hurt if they are doing a great job and sacrificing their body night in and night out, and they get demoted for a guy who is doing neither of those things. I’m sure Pospisil is much too focused on trying o establish an NHL career to pout and take his foot off the gas, but that sends a terrible message to him and the rest of the roster.

joescores

Mar 21, 2011
I get what you're saying and agree it would suck to break up that line(at least right now), but to the bolded : Who cares? Guy has played 20 NHL games. Go play your ass off on whatever line your head coach tells you to. His only response to being asked to jump is yes sir how high would you like it. If he takes it personal and pouts and starts dragging his ass he's not a teammate who is going to go do whatever it takes to win anyway.

Sick of this team coddling and submitting and acquiescing to players' personal feelings. They let Johnny Gaudreau string them along and are now doing the same with Lindholm and Hanifin. Put together a team that wants to be here and wants to all pull in the same direction.

Nobody and I mean absolutely nobody is taking him on. Not for all the Lucic or Neal bad money in the world. His contract is essentially buyout proof. Flames are stuck with him for the foreseeable future.

The reality is Pospisil represents an investment of a 4th rd pick and a salary of ~500,000 left before becoming a RFA next offseason.
The investment the team has made in Jonathan Huberdeau, I'm sure I need to tell exactly zero people here, is far more substantial.
But you are missing the existential focal point of being a human here with the expected values being a good guy to put it simple.. Why would you demote a guy who gives you his all AND delivers? What kind of coach or Manager are you then? What are your main principles if you want to demote a guy who is ready to die for you and teams objectives because you want to accommodate an elephant? I didn't think you had it in you Bounce. Please tell me this is not you texting these suggestions. Huska would never sign up to this, he understands Maslow's hierarchy of values well and those mean the world to him. Disappointed with you mate.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
Whatever it is, he is soft and lazy. Dude floats 80% of the time. He is the modern Jankowski.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad